imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Picked up an oooold S&W yesterday. NYLES would appreciate it.

Yesterday I was just browsing through one of the better pawn shops in the area. The shop had a Pre-War (WW II) Heavy Duty revolver with a 5" barrel for sale. He was only asking $400.00 for it. The timing is dead on. There is no end shake, the bore is clean and the finish is probably 85% and all the parts match.

Now for those who are saying so what(?) the Heavy Duty and the Outdoorsman were large frame revolvers that were designed to shoot high velocity 38 Special loads. Sometimes called the 38/44 load or the Super Police. This load was introduced by Smith & Wesson in 1930. It was their answer to Colt's Super 38. The 38/44 was the predecessor of the .357 magnum which was introduced in 1935.

On imfdb the models can be found as the S&W Model 20 and Model 23.In 1957S&W started numbering their models. Both models were discontinued in 1967.

The Pre-war models are hard to find anymore and they typically sell anywhere between $700 - 900 dollars. The pawn shop owner knew what he had, but told me that most of his customers would just look at it as being a big old (emphasis on old) heavy 38 special revolver and wouldn't want it. So he priced it accordingly. It had been in the case for a few days and I was the first person to actually look at it. I left with it. It will safely handle +P and the hotter +P+ 38 loads without any trouble. It's a great revolver. Belongs in Public Enemies.

A few photos. Trust me this is a big deal if you are into collecting Smith & Wesson. Or if you are old like me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010006.jpg (70.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002.jpg (65.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1010004.jpg (74.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1010003.jpg (77.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-10-2009, 06:56 PM
IMFDB Admin

Looks great for the age of the gun. Another good thing about it, is that you won't feel bad shooting it. Are you more of a revolver fan over the autos? I only have one revolver, a S&W 586. I would love to pick up a Model 29 eventually, also a Python.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Yes I'm a big revolver fan. Especially the last five or six years. I carry a Glock 19 and I have a Glock 26 as my back up and off-duty carry piece. I also own a Browning Buckmark Camper and a P08 Luger, but my interest is in revolvers.

The first handguns I learned to shoot were revolvers approximately thirty years ago. I drifted away from the wheelies in my twenties and thirties but returned to my "first love" back in 2003 whne I purchased a Smith & Wesson Model 28 on a whim at a local gunshow.

By the way the 586 is a great revolver. You have a nice one there.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The pre-war S&Ws are really that expensive? Hmmm, I ought to tell my uncle, because he owns one (I can't remember what model, because I've always sucked with S&W revolvers, but I know that it belonged to HIS dad, so it's gotta be quite old).

Nice new acquisition, sir.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Thanks. The Pre-War S&W prices vary wildly. The large frame (N Frames) whatever their calibers tend to demand a higher price. Also the old original Ladysmiths have some pretty high prices on them. The Target Military & Police versions will be more expensive then the plain old duty or fixed sight M&P's.

Now if you should come across the S&W .357 Registered Magnum and it's in good shape and the seller is only asking $500-600 snap that puppy up. The Registered Magnums are mostly priced above $1,000 dollars anymore. They are rare and in great demand.

If you're really curious go to the Smith & Wesson collectors forum. I'm a regular there. I go by Checkman there as well. You'll learn alot about the crazy world of Smith & Wesson revolvers. The company has been in business since the 1850's and they literally have made millions of handguns. The field is huge.

I love it.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/main/
Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 PM

Hey, that's awesome! I've always been fascinated with the Heavy Duty, it's actually a really clever solution to an interesting problem. And I've always liked the old N frames in generally, my Mk.II Hand Ejector is the best-shooting revolver I own.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Hey, that's awesome! I've always been fascinated with the Heavy Duty, it's actually a really clever solution to an interesting problem. And I've always liked the old N frames in generally, my Mk.II Hand Ejector is the best-shooting revolver I own.
Good to hear from you Nyles. How are things in Central Asia?

Yeah the N frame Smiths are great revolvers. I used to own a 586 and a 686. Great revolvers and they weighed about the same as my Highway Patrolmen, but when firing .357 magnum loads the 28's just soaked up the recoil to higher degree then the L frames.

My father is a retired Idaho State Trooper. ISP switched to the Smith & Wesson 4586 semi-auto (45acp) in 1991. Before then they carried the Model 65 .357 magnum. However ISP carried the Winchester +P+ 38 special 125 grain semi-jacketed hollow point load in the magnums.

Basically it was a political decision going back to the 70's when cops were taking heat for carrying the "inhumane" .357 magnum load. So they started carrying the old 38/44 High Velocity load but just gave it the +P+ moniker. Also known as the Treasury Load. They found a solution for a stupid problem from the past. The +P+ load leaves the barrel at almost 1,200 fps. It has a striking energy of almost 430 foot pounds. It isn't a joke.

Anyway the cops could then truthfully say they were only carrying 38 special loads.

I have a couple hundred of those +P+ rounds. Absolutely do not want to shoot those out of anything except a .357 magnum revolver or a Heavy Duty/Outdoorsman in good shape.

Once again good hearing from you.