imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 PM

Default SIG-Sauer P228.

I was going to post this in purchases but I felt it deserved it's own thread. I spotted a P228 in ridiculously good condition on Gunbroker and, since I had my Model 19 posted for sale (and it sold a few days ago), I figured I'd pull the trigger on a bid for the P228. I miraculously won it and got this beautiful SIG pistol, proof code KD (1993), complete with the original box, test target, manual and 3 magazines (one was a Ram-Line and I immediately sold it to the FFL where I picked it up for 10 bucks, and the other two were pre-ban factory). The gun is also West German marked and in close to 100 percent condition. The cutouts in the grip are still sharp and there's very little wear on the finish outside and in. The frame rails are still mostly black even. I also got a Safariland Model 27 Holster and a Model 079 Mag Pouch that were on sale to carry it once I've test fired it. I bought some stainless steel screws for it too since SIGs factory screws are of softer metal and the finish would wear off soon enough.

I also had a friend do some shooping to see how the gun would look with a clean white background, and he went ahead and darkened the screws again to make the gun look stock.

Can't wait to shoot it. Now I just have to find some ammo at a reasonable price...

Last edited by Yournamehere; 07-22-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Dude, congrats on such a wonderful purchase! I wonder how the hell it managed to stay in such good condition for the last 20 years? Even if it was a safe queen, I'm still a little surprised the frame rails are in the condition you claim. I have a lot of guns that I almost never shoot (like my AK), but I still take them apart and work the action, which means that some degree of wear is inevitable. In this case, it's almost like the gun was stored somewhere and never even touched, not merely unfired.

Either way, I envy you. I hope to own a 228 some day. The 226 is still my favorite SIG, but the 288 is the best pistol that they ever made.

Last edited by MT2008; 07-23-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Dude, congrats on such a wonderful purchase! I wonder how the hell it managed to stay in such good condition for the last 20 years? Even if it was a safe queen, I'm still a little surprised the frame rails are in the condition you claim. I have a lot of guns that I almost never shoot (like my AK), but I still take them apart and work the action, which means that some degree of wear is inevitable. In this case, it's almost like the gun was stored somewhere and never even touched, not merely unfired.

Either way, I envy you. I hope to own a 228 some day. The 226 is still my favorite SIG, but the 288 is the best pistol that they ever made.
Thank you sir. I figured you of all the members on here would appreciate this. The gun had been fired at some point, there was some powder residue when I cleaned it, but it was far from dirty inside the slide, and it even still smelled of plasticy factory grease. It's not spotless, but all the wear it has is honest (invisibly faint edge/slide rubbing from a holster, rubbing in the mag well, frame rails, that's about it, no dings or scratches to be seen). The rails have some wear from racking but there's still a lot of finish left on them, more than I've seen on any used and even some new guns. It's been shot, but not much at all from the looks of it. It even has the old trigger bar spring and grips too, and I don't know if those will need replacing, but they're just one of those quirks that comes with an old gun you can be proud of (like the round trigger guard on my 92SB).

One thing that surprised me was how thin the slide rails are, I've never seen a gun with rails as thin as this. And when I said the grips were still sharp, I mean SHARP. The cutouts on the back for the lanyard bar dig into my hand really hard when I go to decock or press the mag release. I spent nearly 2 hours today sanding ever so gently with 600-1000 grit sandpaper to dull the edge enough to make it tolerable.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Now I just have to find some ammo at a reasonable price...
I'll sell you some

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 PM
IMFDB Admin

Definitely worth its own thread, very nice piece bro. That's the thing about Gunbroker, 99 times out of 100 you'll find what you're looking for.