imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM

the lack of a forward assist aint that bad, many trainsers move away from them and even state they have limited to no use. If a rounds not going in rack another in.

The m16's original problems were mostly peoples stupidity.

"its self cleaning, no need for cleaning kits."

yeah, right.

BTW anyone know of any other DI service rifles. Seems no toher countries have made one, and its all pistons. I think pistons rule, on weapons designed around a piston. An ar was not made to be a piston gun so keep it di.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
the lack of a forward assist aint that bad, many trainsers move away from them and even state they have limited to no use. If a rounds not going in rack another in.
That's today, though, and the M16 today is a completely different animal.

Quote:
The m16's original problems were mostly peoples stupidity.

"its self cleaning, no need for cleaning kits."

yeah, right.
This was mistaken info based on the AR-10, which had a good reputation for ruggedness and reliability. It's an understandable error considering the mistaken assumption that the AR-15 was just a "downsized" AR-10. Direct-impingement was also used to good effect in a couple of WWII weapons, IIRC.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman

Last edited by Spartan198; 09-09-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:09 PM

It could just be that 5.56 isn't powerful enough to run a DI system properly if it's fouled.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 AM

Kokalis? That guy still alive? I sorta stopped putting any stock into him when I read his little spill about the FAL.

That being said, th M-60 is a piece of junk. About the only thing it has over th -240B and G is weight, and even then that's kinda iffy.

In six years of using either an M-16A2, -A4, or M-4A1 I have never used the foward assist.

My only issue with the weapon system is bullet type. FMJ sucks more than Hoover.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

So I finally got my hands on "No Easy Day", and am reading it now. Mark Owen took a picture of his weapons which is included in the book. He used a suppressed HK416 D10RS with Magpul P-Mags and Magpul stock, an MP7 with a suppressor, and a sawed-off M79. All of his weapons were painted desert MARPAT camouflage, same as his fatigues. I had read previously that the DEVGRU operators who killed Bin Laden were mostly using H&K kit, but this is the first time I've seen pics of the weapons.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
So I finally got my hands on "No Easy Day", and am reading it now. Mark Owen took a picture of his weapons which is included in the book. He used a suppressed HK416 D10RS with Magpul P-Mags and Magpul stock, an MP7 with a suppressor, and a sawed-off M79. All of his weapons were painted desert MARPAT camouflage, same as his fatigues. I had read previously that the DEVGRU operators who killed Bin Laden were mostly using H&K kit, but this is the first time I've seen pics of the weapons.
Strictly speaking it's NWU-II camo, not MARPAT. It's close enough that the Marines complained and got it restricted to NSWC personnel only though.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 PM

I'm intending to get that book myself. Watched a 60 Minutes interview with him about the raid early this morning. Really insightful and finally good to hear it from the point of view of someone who was actually there.

How was that M79 sawed off? Barrel or stock?

Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
How was that M79 sawed off? Barrel or stock?
Both, it also had a red dot sight. Here is another picture of his kit also showing the suppressed P226 and HK45C.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 AM

The whole thing sorta leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like that guy should have waited before he wrote his book.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
Both, it also had a red dot sight. Here is another picture of his kit also showing the suppressed P226 and HK45C.
That M79 = win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
The whole thing sorta leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like that guy should have waited before he wrote his book.
Maybe. I think he wanted to get the shooters' story out due to Obama's heavy politicizing of the raid, though. Lady friend of mine has a friend in the SEALs and she's told me that they're none too happy about all the credit Mr. Yes-We-Can is taking for it.