imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the info so far, but how about handguns? Which company's products are the most common over there?

Given that there's also a bandit faction in the game composed of small-time thugs, goons, and crooks, are there any police reports talking about the most-confiscated or witnessed guns being used in criminal incidents in South America?

Part of the reason I'm asking this is to compile a list in case I ever find it possible to make a "more realistic weapons" mod for Boiling Point: Road to Hell.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Thanks for the info so far, but how about handguns? Which company's products are the most common over there?
Taurus donīt has a great reputation here (we donīt like brazilian products), so the most common handguns are Glocks, Bersas, Czīs, and FMīs copies (at least in my country).

Quote:
Given that there's also a bandit faction in the game composed of small-time thugs, goons, and crooks, are there any police reports talking about the most-confiscated or witnessed guns being used in criminal incidents in South America?
Well, during the last years, brazilian drug dealers have been using stolen Fals, Pam Smgs, grenades and Madsens Lmg from Argentina. Youīll found Taurus revolvers and some military rifles (even old bolt-action Mausers). The most common calibers in hands of the criminals in my country (according to police reports) are the .22lr and 9x19 mm. The confiscated guns are Hi-Powers stolen from the police, old .22 revolvers and some old .22 Bersas.

Quote:
Part of the reason I'm asking this is to compile a list in case I ever find it possible to make a "more realistic weapons" mod for Boiling Point: Road to Hell.
Well, you could fix the location. That fictional country looks like the bastard son of Colombia and Mexico.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Taurus doesn't actually make bad guns (well, anymore), but they're pretty unpopular in Canada because there is zero customer support or parts available. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out the most common centerfire pistol in anyone's hands in South America would be the Hi Power.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Taurus doesn't actually make bad guns (well, anymore), but they're pretty unpopular in Canada because there is zero customer support or parts available. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out the most common centerfire pistol in anyone's hands in South America would be the Hi Power.
Trust me, Taurus donīt sell the same guns in North America and South America. Thereīs a big quality difference between markets.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Isn't the Hi Power the most popular handgun in the world?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:52 PM

Yes. But espescially in SA.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 AM

Somebody should remake Dirty Harry but with a different firearm set.

"But seeing as this is a wonder-nine Hi-Power, the most popular gun in the world and capable of hitting you pretty consistently at short range, you gotta ask yourself: do you feel okay? 'Cause I hit you a couple of times just now."
Old 08-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
Somebody should remake Dirty Harry but with a different firearm set.

"But seeing as this is a wonder-nine Hi-Power, the most popular gun in the world and capable of hitting you pretty consistently at short range, you gotta ask yourself: do you feel okay? 'Cause I hit you a couple of times just now."
American 180. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to annoy every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:05 AM

No. The American 180. When you absolutely, positivity have to kill every single person IN THE ENTIRE BUILDING, accept no substitutes.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markost View Post
Taurus donīt has a great reputation here (we donīt like brazilian products), so the most common handguns are Glocks, Bersas, Czīs, and FMīs copies (at least in my country).

Well, during the last years, brazilian drug dealers have been using stolen Fals, Pam Smgs, grenades and Madsens Lmg from Argentina. Youīll found Taurus revolvers and some military rifles (even old bolt-action Mausers). The most common calibers in hands of the criminals in my country (according to police reports) are the .22lr and 9x19 mm. The confiscated guns are Hi-Powers stolen from the police, old .22 revolvers and some old .22 Bersas.

Well, you could fix the location. That fictional country looks like the bastard son of Colombia and Mexico.
Thanks for the info. When you wrote "FM's copies" did you mean "FN Herstal clones" instead?

"Realia" in Boiling Point: Road to Hell I think has more resemblance to Colombia than Mexico. First among these tip-offs is the of the "FAPC" guerilla faction ingame, which is obviously a pastiche of Colombia's own FARC (last I heard Mexico does not have a similar leftist insurgency). Next is the complete lack of desert terrain ingame (then again that depends on where you are in Mexico). You should look at the screenshots I posted and see for yourself.

And why would Taurus International proverbially "shoot itself in the foot" by shoving off inferior quality products outside of South America? Surely they want to gain a reputation for selling and supporting reliable and high-quality firearms in more than just their home continent?

Finally, do ordinary South American citizens in "high-conflict countries" carry personal firearms around more frequently than Americans do? Last I heard ransom kidnapping is big business there, what with the drug cartels or leftist guerillas looking to make more money on the side. It's understandable to want to have a gun to defend yourself if you're caught in the crossfire of random driveby shootings or become the mark of a drug addict who's going through withdrawal and is looking to finance the next fix by mugging you.

Tags
game guns south america