imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 07-17-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Aren't the guards at the palace allowed to actual talk? I mean, it's a misconception that they are not allowed to move right?
Actually, if you mess with them they can totally just go ahead and beat the shit out of you. But, being Brits, they are too polite to do so

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-17-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
The Coldstream Guards are an ACTIVE duty regiment in the Royal Army, so they would in reality have the latest issued firearm. In the movie Patriot Games, we see Coldstream Guards carrying L85A1 Bullpup rifles with the bayonets attached which is correct. I've only seen SMLEs with historical honor guard units, usually some sort of official celebratory thing. At least they should have an L1A1 SLR if they don't like having a Bullpup L85A1.

I know, we're nerds, but Any American Gun History buff will be irritated that an Iconic US rifle is being used as an honor guard weapon for a British unit and anyone who follows the British military (I do a little) would be offended that a unit of the CROWN would be shown with an American Rifle.

Oh, I'm aware, as I am very familiar with the British military. Point is they could at least have had SOME British firearm there.

Also, the Coldstream Guards are only one of 5 Guards regiments that mount the guard at Buckingham Palace. They are, in order of precendence, the Grenadier Guards, the Coldstream Guards, the Scots Guards, the Irish Guards and the Welsh Guards. For some reason it's just the Coldstreams that made it into the North American popular consciousness. The uniform in the commercial is pretty messed up but it's actually closer to a Grenadier than Coldstream .
Old 07-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Last night I finally had to say something about that stupid commerical. My wife thought it was funny and told me I should "go to your gun website" and complain. So here it is.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:58 AM

Yuuuuummmmmmmm!!!