imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
My dad has always wanted one of these. I think the "box cannon" has some sort of mythical status for ROC veterans like himself. I had to tell him that even if you could find one of these, he'd need a tax stamp to attach the stock.
If it's an original stock and gun then you don't need a tax stamp. The broomhandle mauser with original stock is exempted from the NFA.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
If it's an original stock and gun then you don't need a tax stamp. The broomhandle mauser with original stock is exempted from the NFA.
Is that so? Well then...
Old 01-10-2018, 04:34 AM

is it wrong that I own a 7" barreled AR15 pistol and a Mauser C96?

One of them I built and the other is inherited.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:49 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Is that so? Well then...
Long as he's not from Cali, otherwise when you attach the bit of wood to the pistol, magic wizards in the bit of wood wake up and turn the pistol into a rifle less than 30in long and so it becomes an assault weapon. And the Cali AWB doesn't have a C&R exemption like the NFA SBR law does.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:49 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Long as he's not from Cali, otherwise when you attach the bit of wood to the pistol, magic wizards in the bit of wood wake up and turn the pistol into a rifle less than 30in long and so it becomes an assault weapon. And the Cali AWB doesn't have a C&R exemption like the NFA SBR law does.
He lives in Florida now, so he can probably buy a gun at a gas station.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 AM

Thinking of building an AR pistol/mk18/SBR clone/whatever, should i go 10.5 or 11.5 inch? I considered 300 blackout for a while but I like be able to guilt free do some mag dumps if you know what i mean...
Old 01-22-2018, 01:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

On the topic of AR "pistols" does anyone have any crazy guesses about how the Franklin Armory Reformation is legal before it is unveiled at Shot Show? A lot of people think it is something to do with a binary (or related) trigger but supposedly this is not the case. My guess is that somehow that "stock" is not really a stock, like maybe it doesn't actually lock in the extended position or something like that.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:23 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
On the topic of AR "pistols" does anyone have any crazy guesses about how the Franklin Armory Reformation is legal before it is unveiled at Shot Show? A lot of people think it is something to do with a binary (or related) trigger but supposedly this is not the case. My guess is that somehow that "stock" is not really a stock, like maybe it doesn't actually lock in the extended position or something like that.
A lot of posts I've read point to the trigger. I'm not sure it can be the stock, they specify the brand and model.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:33 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'd buy it

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-22-2018, 05:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
A lot of posts I've read point to the trigger. I'm not sure it can be the stock, they specify the brand and model.
One of the admins at The Firearm Blog talked to someone at Franklin and was told that it had one of their regular binary triggers, which has a semi setting so fudging of the language about a "single shot per trigger pull" or whatever it says would not be the dodge. Something else is that Franklin says that whatever this is that makes it legal is new and patent pending, whereas binary triggers have been around for years.

What I wondered about the stock is that if the buffer tube lacks the holes to lock the stock into it could still be a regular off the shelf stock but could not lock in the extended position which might not count as a rifle stock. A company did manage to make a "pistol" in the past that had a regular stock that was permanently pinned in the closed position, as (at least at the time) the ATFs position was that if it could not be put into an extended position it was not shoulderable.

EDIT: I just found that there is also a video on their youtube channel which seems to show it firing in both semi and binary. It is hard to tell on the video, but it doesn't look like it is firing on release of the trigger either which was some people's theory. It also looks like the stock is properly locked out, so I have no idea. I'm not 100% certain on SBR laws but people have suggested that if it is built from a pistol receiver you could possibly mount a stock on it if the overall length ended up being more that 26 inches. This might also explain their specific choice of a rather long collapsible stock. I find this hard to believe though, as if it was that simple it would have been done before, and nothing about this is based on unique patentable technology either.

Last edited by commando552; 01-22-2018 at 05:18 PM.