imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 PM

Never scene any of the movies you mentioned. What exactly do you mean?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin1 View Post
Never scene any of the movies you mentioned. What exactly do you mean?
You never seen Foxy Brown or Coffy?!? That's necessary viewing if you enjoy revenge movies.

Well, there was this genre in the 70s known as Blaxploitation, which featured black protagionists typically in struggles against "the man". Pam Grier was the queen of these, and Colombiana looks alot like those two movies.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:32 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite View Post
You never seen Foxy Brown or Coffy?!? That's necessary viewing if you enjoy revenge movies.

Well, there was this genre in the 70s known as Blaxploitation, which featured black protagionists typically in struggles against "the man". Pam Grier was the queen of these, and Colombiana looks alot like those two movies.
Foxy Brown and Coffy were a little campy though. The commercials for Colombiana look a bit more like Kill Bill.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
The commercials for Colombiana look a bit more like Kill Bill.
Which got (at least part of) it's inspiration from???
Old 08-31-2011, 04:38 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite View Post
Which got (at least part of) it's inspiration from???
Kill Bill was more inspired by kung fu films. Jackie Brown was Tarantino's Foxy Brown/Coffy lovefest.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM

I didn't watch Columbiana because I like revenge flicks, I watched it because it looked pretty good from the trailers.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Germany could not have won ww2.
Germany could probably have done better than it did in certain situations, the general problem being those situations involve Hitler not being Hitler and therefore the Second World War probably never happening in the first place. On the other hand, there's just as many scenarios where the Second World War would never have happened (eg a massive allied counter-attack after the capture of Poland, more reasonable terms in the treaty of Versailles that didn't make the German people feel like martyrs, etc).

Playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution right now, and it's like they looked at everything that they did wrong in Invisible War and said "right, let's not do that this time." Things are simplified rather than dumbed down, the weapons all feel powerful and have some great mods (seeking assault rifle rounds, target-leading ballistic computers, etc), and the plot doesn't use "it was nanomachines" as all-purpose plot glue. There's a few issues like that Hacking is a pain in the ass in the console versions since the game was obviously designed primarily for PC and the boss fights are annoying, but overall it's one of the best games I've played recently, might even make it into the list of all time favourites.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:30 PM

Germany simply did not have the manpower to occupy the territories they wanted and seriously, mexico as a safe haven? The germans/mexicans have been buddy buddy since the 1800s.

I ordered dues ex on gamefly and that means i'll have it sometime this century.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 08-31-2011, 04:43 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Germany simply did not have the manpower to occupy the territories they wanted and seriously, mexico as a safe haven? The germans/mexicans have been buddy buddy since the 1800s.
Naw, the Mexico / Germany thing was in World War 1 (and even that time they actually rejected it), Mexico in WW2 was under a left-wing government that wouldn't have touched Nazi Germany with a barge pole. And you'd be surprised how far manpower can stretch, just look at the size of the Roman Empire compared to Italy or the Mongolian Empire compared to the actual population of Mongolia. The bigger problem was that Blitzkrieg was so fast in taking territory that it ended up with armies all but isolating themselves from their own supply lines.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 08-31-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 PM

The Romans and Mongolians did have huge empires and relativly small armies, but Germany would have to deal with the effects of modern technology. An individual can shoot you at 1000 yards with a sniper rifle, obliterate your tank with a Panzerfaust, blow up you vital bridge as you're driving over it. A small group of resistance fighters could machine-gun your convoy, rain mortar shells on you base from a mile away, or pin down an entire company with accurate rifle fire. Even helecopters won't fix everything. The M-24 HINDs in Afganistan were demi-gods until the Afgans got Stinger missiles. Still, they were vulnerable to heavy machine-gun fire (especialy from above, aiming for the rotor) and just shooting lots of RPGs and assault rifles will work if you're lucky, like in Black Hawk Down. The Romans and Mongolians only needed to worry about archers and backstabing locals.