imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-09-2011, 04:20 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
It would have been cool if one of the higher up commanders or Generals carried one of those full-auto converted 1911 pistols that John Dillinger and Baby Face Nelson used.

Aside from making them look like a total badass, I imagine such a weapon would be intimidating to the enemy.
A nickel-plated, ivory-handled .357 wasn't badass enough?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
True, but I can't see that being practical in a .45 ACP weapon.

Dillinger's were .38 Super if I recall correctly.
Since 15 and 30 round mags weren't invented yet, I'd agree with that aspect for .45s. Unless someone built custom extended magazines (since, even the .38 super model was loaded with custom welded 20 round magazines made by connecting two 10-rounders.)

On that notion though, the Colt Machine Pistols used in Public Enemies were 9mm, so I wonder how one built in 9mm would fair. There'd be plenty of ammo to salvage off the enemy weapons.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 AM

Personally, I always thought the notion of a "Pistol, Officer's, General's" was a bit ridiculous, but I liked how it was a Colt 1903 in .32 ACP, definitely a gentleman's gun.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:27 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
A nickel-plated, ivory-handled .357 wasn't badass enough?
Not really, by today's standards. The fact that Patton carried it, calling it his "killing gun", gives it badass points. Back then the .357 was pretty new and exciting, and a lot more badass, but today, .357 is kind of a mid-ground magnum. You rarely see bad guys in movies carrying a .357 to look the most badass on the block. Hell, even the nameless henchman use them. It's lost its originality over time.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 AM

True...I find it sad that in the modern world, people scoff at the .357 and .44 Mag, which with the exception, oh trout fishing in Alaska, is all the gun you need in a hand gun.

Personally, I think the .357 Magnum is probably the best duty round available, with the 10mm a close second, with the .357 Sig a distant third.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:21 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
True...I find it sad that in the modern world, people scoff at the .357 and .44 Mag, which with the exception, oh trout fishing in Alaska, is all the gun you need in a hand gun.

Personally, I think the .357 Magnum is probably the best duty round available, with the 10mm a close second, with the .357 Sig a distant third.
I regard the .357 Magnum as the "good enough" Magnum. Has it lost a lot of mystique, sure. But it'll still put a man down with one shot.

And Patton coupled it with a nickle-plated, ivory-handled Colt SAA that HE ACTUALLY KILLED MEN WITH, so yeah, bad ass.

(This is all coming from a guy who not only carried two nickle-plated, ivory-handled pistols at once, but a former Olympian who also the Army's youngest Master of the Sword, who also helped design a cavalry saber still used by the Army today. Frankly, I'm shocked he didn't carry a saber in addition to his brace of pistols.)
Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

It's no doubt a great round, it's just lost its badass factor. Since .357 Magnums are now in all handguns of all sizes, it no longer holds the intimidation factor it used to have, especially if it's coming out of a little snubby.

.44 Magnum still holds some respects, mainly because of its Dirty Harry fame. While much bigger rounds succeed it now, it still enters the realm of "this will destroy you", which for some reason the .357 doesn't have (even though it's effectiveness is pretty damn close).
Old 05-09-2011, 06:37 AM

Extended mags for 1911s would be easy to make, all one needs is longer sheet metal and springs, and of course machines and knowhow, but it certainly wouldn't be impossible for the day and age. As far as .45 ACP being a problem, one could make at least a 15 round mag and it wouldn't be too long.

.357 wasn't necessarily eclipsed because they put it in smaller guns, it's just that other calibers came out that were more powerful, and power nazis fed on that, ignoring overall practicality. This also tugged revolvers away from general gun folk as they became associated with immense power as opposed to for what they were known for the longest time, reliability and simplicity. This worsened even further when autos became in vogue and revolvers were mostly abandoned, save for, again, ones chambered in really powerful cartridges, and conversely, ones that were really small. With the former niche burned in, the latter became the new thing, but because of even more power hooplah over .38 Special out of 2 inch barrels, models were made in .357 Mag, because if one is to have five shots, they should be powerhouses. The "middle ground" that is the full size .38 or .357 Magnum revolver area was killed off by this separation in revolver desire and the wondernine craze, not because of the little .357s that came about much later.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Extended mags for 1911s would be easy to make, all one needs is longer sheet metal and springs, and of course machines and knowhow, but it certainly wouldn't be impossible for the day and age. As far as .45 ACP being a problem, one could make at least a 15 round mag and it wouldn't be too long.
I don't know...I would be hesitant to carry such an extended magazine sticking out of the weapon like that. Afraid I would bang it on something and have a failure to feed in a critical situation. That's why they taught us never to tape two mags together "jungle style".
Old 05-26-2011, 11:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to The Mercenary Send a message via AIM to The Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
The De Lisle suppressed carbine used M1911 clips and i'm pretty sure they had a larger capacity clip which i presume would've fitted with 1911's.
You're dealing with an expert in guerilla warefare. A man who's the best with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather. To live off the land, to eat things that'd make a billygoat puke!