imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 PM

Default Nagant 1895

Just grabbed one recently, looking to get some ammo for it. The stuff that was made for it is expensive, and I hear you can fire other .32 stuff from it, H&R, Long, and Colt, I believe. They make a conversion for .32 ACP, but I'm not sure if it would ever do it stock. I need some cheaper ammo and some blanks to fit it stock. Any ideas?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 PM

I heard of conversions for 7.62x25.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:31 AM

This is a different caliber. Still the 7.62, but .32. I guess it's close to a .32 H&R and the .32 Colt or Long Colt. Not sure though.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:55 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think it'll be really hard for you to find ammo for a rare non american gun like that.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 AM

A lot of people own them, and there are several stores that sell ammo currently online, the place I got it from has it too, but the issue is cost. It's between .60 and a dollar per round. So, I'm wondering how well it'll chamber other .32s, and where I can get other stuff it'll chamber for cheaper than the round made for it.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 AM

If you want to fire other calibers through it, you have to buy a new .32 Caliber cylinder and install it. You risk damaging the gun if you just throw in .32 Caliber ammunition in the current cylinder.

The way the ammo market is right now, most prices on all types of ammo have gone up, and not many stores carry lots of .32 in the first place, so if you find some, it's not gonna be much cheaper to shoot than the standard 7.62x38R round.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:35 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_Goodbomb View Post
A lot of people own them, and there are several stores that sell ammo currently online, the place I got it from has it too, but the issue is cost. It's between .60 and a dollar per round. So, I'm wondering how well it'll chamber other .32s, and where I can get other stuff it'll chamber for cheaper than the round made for it.
.60 a round isn't that bad for a not so common round. I just paid .50 a round for 7.62 NATO. That is South African surplus. It's not as if you'll be shooting an old rifle like that very often anyway. The ammo is where they get you, a cheap old rifle but expensive ammo.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 PM

He's not talking about the Mosin Nagant, Predator. He is talking about the Nagant M1895 revolver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1895

It was the main sidearm for the Imperial Russian military during World War 1.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
He's not talking about the Mosin Nagant, Predator. He is talking about the Nagant M1895 revolver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1895

It was the main sidearm for the Imperial Russian military during World War 1.
Ah okay. Didn't pay enough attention. These reason I thought it was a rifle trying to shoot pistol ammo. I've seen in The Sportsmans Guide where they sell a rifle chamber insert. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=471502

When I think of Nagant, I think of the rifle. But whether old revolver or rifle. You won't shoot it that much, at least I wouldn't.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 PM

I've got one. It'll fire .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long without modification, but you won't get much accuracy. .32 H&R Mag chambers and alot of people will tell you it's ok, but I tried it and there was too much case deformation for comfort. I won't do it again. You can get a .32 ACP cylinder for it, and I'm told they work ok.

I've heard of a 7.62mm Tokarev conversion, but DO NOT try it. It's a bottlenecked round and the only way to fit it would be to make the cylinder walls WAY too thin for comfort. Aside from that it's a fairly high-pressure round and I don't know that the frame is strong enough for it.

They're neat guns, even if they have the trigger from hell, and actually kind of fun to shoot with the right ammo.