imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Gripping handgun with 2 hands

I've seen today where we have someone demoing a revolver or an old flint lock pistol. A lot of times they hold them with one hand like you see in movies. A few times, I've seen them holding them with 2 hands and sometimes, it looks "weird" compared to the classic one hand holding.

When did the technique to hold a handgun with 2 hands started to come into practice?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Jack Weaver started doing it in competitions in the early 50s, then Jeff Cooper popularised it. Almost all two-handed shooting stances are variations on the Weaver stance.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'm talking about when revolvers or even way back when flint lock pistols were around. Did it ever occur to those guns that gripping the gun with both hands would help? Or is the conception of shooting revolvers with one hand just in movies?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 AM

Bear in mind handguns were originally developped for cavalry - until the turn of the 20th century most fighting handguns were for designed with cavalry in mind. You gripped your sword or reins with the other hand.

It wasn't until the 50s when guys like Jeff Cooper, Skeeter Skelton and Bill Jordan - mostly law enforcement - started looking at handgun shooting more scientifically. That's also around the time revolver training went from single-action bullseye shooting to double-action combat shooting.

I'm sure people did it, but it was never really common practice.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:19 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I think it's kind of weird to fire revolvers two-handed. I can't grip most revolvers properly without wrapping my left thumb partially around my right. Not that there's any danger of slide bite to worry about (as there would be with a semi-auto), but it doesn't really feel natural to me at all.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:38 PM
IMFDB Admin

So handgun training even during WWI and II for the US army was shown with one hand in mind? That does explain why those old training vids I see shows them holding 1911s with one hand,

Old 09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
IMFDB Admin

If the story takes place before the 1960s and definitely by the 1970s or later, then a two handed stance is common place. But ALL historical material shows shooters using one hand, standing sideways to present the slimmest target to their opponent, arm extended.

I had to argue with an art director once, who had and actor playing SHERLOCK HOLMES take the 'horse stance' two handed with his Webley MK1. It looked like a 70s cop show, except with a Victorian Gentleman. It looked really anachronistic, which it was!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 PM

Speaking of Sherlock Holmes, you might enjoy this classic Garry James article:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...herlock+Holmes

I find with alot of old revolvers it's difficult to grip them comfortably two-handed, the grips just aren't designed for it.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 AM

I'm sure they used a two handed grip with all those early WWI era machine pistols.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:17 AM

Well, the early WW1 pistols you're talking about weren't really machine pistols, they didn't fire full auto. Those didn't really come around till the 30s. But the correct way to fire one of those is to use your non-firing hand to support the stock with an underhanded grip.