imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:19 PM
sillybunz13

Default Handguns Grips & Trigger Discipline In Hollywood

I mean I know it's just a movie. Yeah, we get it, but it's gets to a point where it's just downright sad.

For example:

Jack Bauer in "24" has a backround that contains that he entered U.S. Army and eventually joined Delta Force; among the decorations accumulated during his service are the Silver Star, the Purple Heart, and the Legion of Merit. He received Airborne, Air Assault, Ranger, and Special Forces training.

BUT he can't hold a damn handgun right? He's got to use a "cup and saucer" grip for like 7 seasons. Also he has awful trigger discipline. Years of military training and forgets all of it too. WOW!

The same with "Burn Notice" with the almost the same backround as Jack Bauer but "cup and saucer" grips is all the he can give, but he shows good trigger discipline sometimes.

Last but not least, The Hurt Locker. This film is inaccurate, repulsive, and just plain retarded. I'm not even going to get into to the fact that it was embarrasing for the U.S. Army to be portrayed as dumbasses in this film. How it got an oscar, only god knows. But the fact Jeremy Renner as Sergeant First Class William James "cup and saucers' his Beretta makes me puke even then the whole film itself. This film is a disgrace to the United States Army.

I think Greez Zone is one of the few with excellent trigger discipline and good form and grip on any weapon by any person in the film who was a soldier. The only that was iffy was him killed a Green Beret and getting away with it LOL. I don't know how but whatever.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM

Burn notice he has his finger on the trigger with hammer back, hurt locker may make sense, as many army units have only done familiarisation with the beretta, no extensive training. I see CG shooter cup and saucering the SIG. As long as they meet there qualifications each year nobody cares.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-05-2010, 12:45 PM
sillybunz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Burn notice he has his finger on the trigger with hammer back, hurt locker may make sense, as many army units have only done familiarisation with the beretta, no extensive training. I see CG shooter cup and saucering the SIG. As long as they meet there qualifications each year nobody cares.
No extensive training, really? Why would they carry Berettas then if they weren't even trained with it? EOD has to be trained in the m4/m16, beretta m9, and some of them even the m14 ebr so yeah. Also the military does care how you hold a weapon to get well aimed shots. Shit if the military didn't care, I could be shooting with one hand with an m4 all the time as long as I pass qualifications, according to you. No, not in the military. Sorry buddy.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:57 PM

I know a U.S. Marshall who fires homie style during offhand shooting with a glock 22 since he has to use right eye to do it. Seriously, its up to whos giving instruction to care. If somebody nails dead center with cup and saucer i doubt many people will give a damn, besides, many soldiers barely touch a beretta outside boot.

Apparently in the 80s the army taught cup and saucer. On burn notice it may make sense to use this grip. Michael was army and then freelanced as a spy. So his training may have been that.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
sillybunz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I know a U.S. Marshall who fires homie style during offhand shooting with a glock 22 since he has to use right eye to do it. Seriously, its up to whos giving instruction to care. If somebody nails dead center with cup and saucer i doubt many people will give a damn, besides, many soldiers barely touch a beretta outside boot.

Apparently in the 80s the army taught cup and saucer. On burn notice it may make sense to use this grip. Michael was army and then freelanced as a spy. So his training may have been that.
First of all, In the 80's, they were taught either thumbs tucked grip and the old stacked thumbs grip, so Michael Weston is still wrong lol. My father was a soldier through the 1980's.

Second of all, it does matter on the grip and the trigger discipline on every cop, federal agent, soldier, etc. If you were to go through any of the training these people go through, they bitch at you until you get it right (that's including grip and trigger discipline). I should know, I went through it.

Last, soldiers don't touch a beretta at boot camp. You get trained with it at your unit.

Last edited by sillybunz13; 11-05-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM

I know marines do familiarisation training, dont know i that means shooting or just classroom stuff, kind of assumed the army would at least do something, USCG does only pistol in basic and no rifle/shotgun/240. They care way more about muzzle and trigger discipline than grip, ive noticed a lot of female shooters doing the teacup grip.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybunz13 View Post
But the fact Jeremy Renner as Sergeant First Class William James "cup and saucers' his Beretta makes me puke even then the whole film itself. This film is a disgrace to the United States Army.
It's a disgrace to the U.S. Army because Jeremy Renner holds a Beretta with cup-and-saucer grip? LOL. Personally, I thought "Green Zone" was far more disgraceful to the U.S. Army than "The Hurt Locker" could ever have been.

We've already had a gazillion topics about this same subject, and personally, I think that the complaints about actors' gun handling are getting kind of played out. Yes, many actors hold firearms in inappropriate ways that one would expect their character to know are wrong. If that really bothers you so much, don't watch movies or TV.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM

It just makes it cooler when a actor uses a good grip. Its almost expected to see bad gun handling, when you see it done real well you just think "now that actor is cool"

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Not once has being able to tell that actors are just miming driving motions in cars that are being towed ruined my enjoyment of a film or television show.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

sillybunz13,

Wow you really hate the cup and saucer. While it doesn't give very much support to the strong hand, it does allow a steadier aim compared to one hand shooting. (not that it even matters in movies) But it is kind of dangerous. What's the only thing between your hand and several rounds of ammo. A thin piece of metal or plastic base pad.

If bad movie gun handling really bothers you, be prepared to deal with it for the rest of life. Just because an actor or actress shoots a gun on film doesn't mean they like it. Same thing applies to one who's playing a rapist or serial killer. Even though those are very different things I hope you get what I mean.

My only pet peeve with guns and movies is magazine capacity. I could give a shit about grip or stance. But it is nice when they do it properly.