imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Yeah, saw that...not convinced. Resistance stays down.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Oh, I wasn't arguing it should be bought back, though I might throw together a page for Resistance 1 [where the Chimeran guns seem a little more based in reality] at some point. Only it'd have images and be any good.

Also, just to clear up: Resistance isn't set before WW2, it's set in an alternate 1950s where America was isolationist during WW1, there was never a Russian revolution or stock market collapse and the Nazis failed to win any support in Germany due to the stable economy.

Last edited by Vangelis; 06-19-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
Just to bring this up since I finally registered an account, that's actually more or less true as per the image I uploaded to compare the two:

Though the Dragon has a flat-top mount rail rather than the higher one there. Granted, it's horribly mutiliated, but Sarge's G36-based gun in the Doom movie actually ends up looking fairly similar to it. For the rest, I apologise; the Falcon 2 is closer to a Double Eagle in terms of the gun itself, I just thought that since a major feature of it was based on a specific movie prop, that should be mentioned instead.
That is a really crappy comparison, It has not resemblance to the G36 whatsoever.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Aside from the flash hider, long narrow forearm and shape of the lower reciever, you mean. As I pointed out, you have to look at how badly the Goldeneye weapons were mangled by Rare as a point of reference for how badly they're going to mangle any other weapon.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Aside from the flash hider, long narrow forearm and shape of the lower reciever, you mean. As I pointed out, you have to look at how badly the Goldeneye weapons were mangled by Rare as a point of reference for how badly they're going to mangle any other weapon.
flash hider? long narrow forearm? Those features could be associated with a very large number of rifles.
And the receiver looks nothing like the G36's.
What you are doing is called matrixing, kind of like when you look in the clouds and you associate it with an object you know of like a dog even though it's just a cloud.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the developers at rare just made that weapon without any real reference?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the developers at rare just made that weapon without any real reference?
No, because that doesn't happen; everything is based on something, it's how the human brain works. And why would it have an M16 ejection port if it was made without any real references?

I think it's more the case that you're trying not to see the similarities and focusing on the differences, of which there are no shortage. Rare definately just glance at their reference and replicate it very poorly with little idea of why it looks that way. However, I would point out that when I added that you had already removed it from the article once; in other words, at least two seperate users saw it was similar to the G36. In addition, there's the more obvious fact that when it came time to make Perfect Dark Zero, Rare chose to make the Dragon...A G36. I'd take that as a hint as to the origin of the original.

Last edited by Vangelis; 06-19-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I think it's more the case that you're trying not to see the similarities
....ok so I'm part of a conspiracy to make it look like the dragon from perfect dark is not a G36?

Quote:
However, I would point out that when I added that you had already removed it from the article once; in other words, at least two seperate users saw it was similar to the G36.
Or maybe more people saw that it looked nothing like a G36 so they didn't put it down as one.
Quote:
In addition, there's the more obvious fact that when it came time to make Perfect Dark Zero, Rare chose to make the Dragon...A G36. I'd take that as a hint as to the origin of the original.
That game blows and it's also by a different development team essentially

I don't know why we are arguing about this the page has already been deleted by the mods anyway.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
....ok so I'm part of a conspiracy to make it look like the dragon from perfect dark is not a G36?
I didn't say that, I just said you're not going to see something subjective that you don't want to see. Much like how you and I could argue all day whether someone had trimmed their hedge to look like a dog or it just happened to be that way, and whether it's a dog, cat or horse. Ultimately, the Dragon is so damn vague it's difficult to be definitive about it; I'd say the fact it was later represented as a G36 plus some slightly G36-esque features would indicate a basis in that weapon, though with hindsight it was something of a push to go on to say 'this is a G36' on that basis; it wasn't nearly as clear as, say, the K7 being a copy of the Starship Troopers Morita.

Quote:
Or maybe more people saw that it looked nothing like a G36 so they didn't put it down as one.
Hm? What I mean is this isn't something only I can see here.

Quote:
I don't know why we are arguing about this the page has already been deleted by the mods anyway.
Oh, I don't mean to argue, just explain my reasoning. I'm sorry if I came off as rude at all.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:16 PM

Anyway, are we going to make a PDZ page? The guns in that are much more based on real guns, as shown here. http://perfectdark.3dactionplanet.ga...dzero/weapons/
Old 06-19-2009, 07:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

Even if Perfect Dark had guns with similarities to real guns (which they have minor, but they are pretty vague), who cares? I've brought this up before, it's for the Nintendo 64, a console long dead to the world. I don't think anyone is going on IMFDB to see what guns were used in the original Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark Zero? Maybe, I've seen how some of the guns aren't really real-life based.