imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-09-2016, 10:03 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

OWB is the most comfortable because you don't change your pants size. You can OWB carry pretty much ANY handgun. Hell, if open carry wasn't so much of a social problem, I'd be cool with open carrying from a drop leg holster (the holster will still need to be a kydex type because I hate the old school pouch type with a belt strap.)

Concealing OWB depends largely on the holster, what kind of gun and your shirt. I said it before, I wear a button shit when I OWB my G19 and it hides pretty well and I have a large body. But a button shirt lacks variety in your everyday attire if you care about fashion. I kinda like to change my literal tone every time I go outside instead of the same types of shirts I rely on.

The popular holsters of the "tactical crowd" seemed to be :

Raven -
Bravo Concealment
High Threat Concealment

The store bought every man type:

Blackhawk Serpa - Had a Serpa for a while
Safariland - I really like it's GLS holster
Fobus

Com-tac seemed to be nice

With a bunch of minor ones like:

On Your Six Design (I mentioned this as my G43 holster)
Contact Concealment

Some guys want to carry ALL the spare mags with them. I'm just happy with 1 spare mag, a full size G17 mag with a +2 extension. I'm going to try out other brands like Taran Tactical but they are expensive at 30 bucks a baseplate.

I don't carry my gun with a weapon light attached. I prefer a hand light in my other pocket. Also holster choices and clothing are limited even more with a weapon light attached.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-09-2016, 10:23 PM

Agree about the light, myself. Also I don't care about fashion in most of everyday life so that's not a worry so much with me. But a good point to bring up still.

I had forgotten about Safariland.. I guess I had thought they went away or something. Silly me. Definitely will wanna hit them up.

I'm a tad divided on open carry. I don't share the ostrich mentality most people do, particularly when it comes to firearms. Seeing a guy with a holstered gun doesn't give me disgust or disquiet - If anything when I know the guy/gal's armed that helps - I like to know things so there ya go. And being an honest and generally open dude I don't mind letting others know either. No ambiguity. That said, the inherent tactical advantage to concealed is always a valid point. Not that any of it matters though since not many places allow it for handguns if at all (including where I live now). Bah.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
The popular holsters of the "tactical crowd" seemed to be :

Raven -
Bravo Concealment
High Threat Concealment

The store bought every man type:

Blackhawk Serpa - Had a Serpa for a while
Safariland - I really like it's GLS holster
Fobus

Com-tac seemed to be nice

With a bunch of minor ones like:

On Your Six Design (I mentioned this as my G43 holster)
Contact Concealment
Safariland is hardly an everyman holster. It's definitely not on the same level as Fobus (rivets) or Blackhawk (shoot yourself in the leg). They are THE brand for active retention duty holsters and overt carry rigs. You'd be hard pressed to find a cop that doesn't have a Level II or III holster that they make, or a drop leg that isn't a 6004/6005 or variant thereof. They have their quirks like the suede lining coming loose and the fact that they aren't made in America, but their manually activated hood design and their ALS button combined with their overall build quality is better than any competing designs on the market in my opinion.

I also wouldn't necessarily put HTC in the highest bracket simply because they don't have the notoriety or brand recognition like Raven (MD/Costa bump) and Bravo (we ripped off Raven's designs, marketed with youtubers and charge half the price with half the lead time). Their stuff seems to be just as well made, though, but I won't know until I buy their products.

Quote:
I don't carry my gun with a weapon light attached. I prefer a hand light in my other pocket. Also holster choices and clothing are limited even more with a weapon light attached.
That's the great thing about the XC1. It doesn't make the gun that much bigger or bulkier, so having a good WML for a concealed gun becomes really feasible, which is not the case with the X300U or TLR-1 or lights like them. If you can OWB a Glock 19 or P229R or something similarly sized or bigger, you can carry it with the XC1 and not worry about additional printing or sticking beneath a shirt line or something. I don't think it would adversely affect IWB either but I can't say for certain.

There's a lot of controversy about using WMLs at all, but regardless of the drawbacks, they are the easiest, most effective way to illuminate a target while maintaining a good two handed grip on a gun. I used to just carry a Surefire 6PX Tactical with a Thyrm Switchback for a tactical light to use with a gun out, but I still don't find it to be 100 percent effective, although it's pretty close. Now with the XC1, I can use that for gun applications, and the 6PX Tactical for searching without muzzling people or something like that. Plus, I have a dedicated lower lumen EDC light for everyday stuff. I realize I'm the exception to the norm when it comes to EDC, carrying 2-3 lights and a compact gun which may or may not have a WML, but it's easier than you'd think, and worth it because of the capabilities at your disposal.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well I am really loving the Safariland's GLS holster, which is pretty much designed for conceal carry, but they don't make one for lights of any kind yet. I'd have to go over to those custom kydex companies to make a holster for that and that's extra money and wait time.

Ok, when I mentioned Safariland. I mean it as I've been seeing their products in local gun stores more and more. It used to be this higher level company that I'd have to go to a cop store or online to get them.

I always carry a light on me anyway and I believe I'm pretty well practiced in using a hand light with my gun. At home, I got an Inforce (awesome light for a good price...but not as durable as Surefire which are built like tanks). My hand light is a Surefire.

I subscribe to using more whatever works. Some guys will only use weapon lights, so use just hand light, but I like to learn as many different techniques for different situations.

Glock isn't for everyone, but it works. Some people's hands have problems with it. Mine don't and I got big hands. Holding the single stack G43 was amazing because of how thin it is, but not too thin.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Last edited by Excalibur; 06-10-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:08 AM

At this point, I'm just getting holsters made if I need them; I have odd guns, and I'm left handed, so it's just the way it is

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-13-2016, 04:01 PM
IMFDB Admin

Seems like the gun groups I am apart of are gearing up for another panic buy after this attack in Orlando.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Seems like the gun groups I am apart of are gearing up for another panic buy after this attack in Orlando.
Indeed. I saw a couple articles/posts fro a pro-gun LGBT group warning their fellow LGBTs not to get swept up in the emotionally charged gun-ban hysteria and instead go about squaring their-selves away more than ever in regards to arming and protecting themselves.

That said, my little sister now more than ever is wanting to save up and get an AR. She's considered it since San Bernardino, was still a bit on the fence, though. Now however, I think it'll be her next big purchase after getting new tires. Was inquiring about it a bit with my old man and I yesterday.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:38 PM
IMFDB Admin

Get body armor as well. I'm looking at AR500. They got good prices

Old 06-14-2016, 05:59 PM

As a Floridian, I am very wary of potential regulations being passed here in the wake of this shooting. I was talking with my friend in Colorado about the BS 15 round magazine restriction put in place after Sandy Hook that halted the circulation of AR mags in his state, even displacing Magpul as a company. I don't know if the post-shooting anti-gun political action will cause something like that here.

Just as well, I'm wondering if I should buy the ammo I was planning on getting earlier than expected, even though I've already bought so much other stuff that needs to be paid down. I'm also on the fence about stocking up on AR and SIG mags early too.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:13 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
That said, my little sister now more than ever is wanting to save up and get an AR. She's considered it since San Bernardino, was still a bit on the fence, though. Now however, I think it'll be her next big purchase after getting new tires. Was inquiring about it a bit with my old man and I yesterday.
For home defence? For a mass shooting like San Bernardino I personally don't think an AR is much help. Unless you have it on you a gun is useless, and if it is in your car then if you have gotten to your car you should be getting the fuck out of there.