imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 10-28-2019, 01:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Still getting one

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-18-2019, 01:50 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Dude, I've seen Glock gen 2s that have lasted a long time. I mean, you COULD just replace some of the important internals.
I spoke (slightly) in jest in my last post, but RE replacement parts: Already did. I guess the main issue is that after a while, it starts to feel like a money pit when I spend as much as I have on parts.

I'm sure it will run fine for many years to come, but if I ever buy another Gen 2 Glock, I'll probably buy one that was a safe queen (like my Gen 2 -17). I don't ever wanna have to spend so much money on a used handgun again.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-18-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:54 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Also, despite the fact that I have spent way too much money on guns this year (mostly due to the money I've spent on my DD M4A1, plus two different optics), I'm already buying another AR. This time, I'm getting a BCM.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:55 AM

I, regrettably, am unable to stop myself from purchasing a 5906 after the beginning of the year. Can't not, have to have it; I tried shooting other guns and 3rd gen S&Ws are It, no use fighting fate.

Also I got a dot for my AR (just a Romeo), a new extractor for my horrible Ruger .40, and am rebuilding my stock of .22, .357, and .308 because the stash I lost during the cleanup after Harvey was located.....after being flooded during Imelda

http://www.introvertisland.com

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 12-19-2019 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:39 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I, regrettably, am unable to stop myself from purchasing a 5906 after the beginning of the year. Can't not, have to have it; I tried shooting other guns and 3rd gen S&Ws are It, no use fighting fate.
Well if you're going to just accept your fate you'll be in good company. The 3rd Gen S&W autos are good pistols. Many still don't appreciate them and that's just fine with me.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:17 AM

I mean I've been shooting a 4506 since like 2010, and have had a whole mess of all 3 gens of S&W auto. Let me think about all of them from over the last 9 years....

39-2
915 (given to my dad as a gift because his Kimber is really just terrible)
6906 (sold to pay for textbooks)
4506-1

Old 12-24-2019, 02:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Christmas came early for me: My BCM upper and lower both arrived on Saturday. I also got my BUIS in the mail yesterday. Setup is not complete yet, but I expect that once everything has arrived, the final config will look like this:

- BCM MK2 BFH Enhanced Lightweight upper w/ 14.5” barrel, MCMR-13 handguard, and BCM Mod 1 compensator
- BCM lower w/ Gunfighter Mod 0 SOPMOD stock
- EOTech EXPS-3
- BCM stubby vertical grip
- Scalarworks front sight
- Magpul MBUS Pro rear sight
- Blue Force Gear VCAS sling

I’m still waiting on my sling and some rail covers to arrive in the mail. My setup is inspired pretty heavily by the one that Larry Vickers uses, and features one of BCM’s new MK2 upper receivers (just released this month), which Vickers Tactical has been demo’ing in prototype form for the past two years. The main differences between my setup and LAV’s is that I run an EOTech (instead of an Aimpoint) and an MCMR (M-LOK) forearm instead of KMR (Keymod). Oh, and I’m not sure yet whether I’ll run a light on this build, but I’m pretty sure I won’t mount it in the 12:00 position.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-24-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:37 AM

Why people still use Keymod when given their choice is beyond me.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-25-2019, 03:24 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Why people still use Keymod when given their choice is beyond me.
At least with BCM, one of the incentives for choosing their Keymod rails over their M-LOK rails is that they offer far more accessories for Keymod. (I discovered this oddity when I was searching their site and found that the vert grip I wanted for my rifle wasn’t available for M-LOK, only Picatinny and Keymod.) I find this to be a sleazy practice on their part; I wonder if Vltor (which invented Keymod, and also manufactures parts for BCM) has some sort of deal with BCM to push Keymod on their customers.

All things considered, Keymod isn’t really that bad. I know it didn’t hold up as well as M-LOK in NSWC Crane’s drop tests, but since I don’t plan to drop my AR from 5 stories up or run it over with my car, I’m not too concerned about that. I actually think the attachment system is a little more intuitive than M-LOK (as I discovered when I first started putting accessories on my MCMR rail). It’s mostly just ugly; I didn’t want my AR to look like it was furnished by IKEA, which is why I got an M-LOK rail.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-25-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:25 PM

An old style Charter Arms Undercover, pachmayrs for said Charter, and a new ejector rod head for it. I got it way cheap at Cabelas via gift card & 10% off sale