imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-29-2012, 03:07 PM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

Default Collapsible Tables (Admins take note)

So I just added a little snippet of code to the site that allows for the creation of collapsible tables (like are often seen on Wikipedia). To get it to work, all that is required is adding the line: class="collapsible" to the table parameters at the top. Additionally, if you want the table to appear collapsed by default, you can change it to class="collapsible collapsed".

For the time being, I have just included it on the See Also Gun Templates. What do you guys think?? One thought that I had is that this could be used on some of the high-traffic, HIGH content pages. For example, the 1911 page? We could make the "appearance tables" collapsible so that you only expand them if you are looking at that particular weapon.

Until other admins weigh in, I will NOT be including this anywhere other then the few templates listed at the above link. If a few of you like the idea, lets TRY adding it to a couple of the tables on the 1911 page and see how it looks. While we are at it though, lets come up with a standard that we can put in the rules. We don't want newbies adding this to EVERY table they make.

Also, I will be traveling most of the day today so if I don't respond, that's why.

-Z
Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 PM

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmann08 View Post
anyone have any thoughts?
Hey I don't know much codings but I'm in if you want me to help.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post
Hey I don't know much codings but I'm in if you want me to help.
No thanks. Right now I just want the other admins to weigh in.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Because the tables are often placed at the bottom of the page and are not instantly viewed, I am not sure the need to collapse them is necessary. I've tried collapsible tables for the gun and actor pages, but those tables tend to look very weird as it often looks too small.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben41 View Post
Because the tables are often placed at the bottom of the page and are not instantly viewed, I am not sure the need to collapse them is necessary. I've tried collapsible tables for the gun and actor pages, but those tables tend to look very weird as it often looks too small.
I totally get what you are saying and for some of them, like the Beretta Firearms table, I agree, it isnt necessary. BUT, when you start to get multiple "see also" tables added to a page, or you have something as large as teh AK-47 template, I think it is nice not to have that giant thing there if you aren't interested in looking at it.

Also, with the collapsible tables, there is a trick to not making them look weird. Basically you need to add a header row that spans all 4-5 columns. You also need to give it a defined size. I am going to do one section on the M1911 page just to show you as a test and we can go from there.

-Z
Old 07-07-2012, 05:23 PM

I personally don't think the collapsible tables are necessary, as they are usually at the bottom of the page and if people don't want to see them, they can just move on without looking at it.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I don't think we need them.