imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 PM

And Colonel.

Also, General. But General shouldn't be hard to distinguish because we can all count to four. (hopefully)

Sergeant works for buck sergeants and (some) staff sergeants in the Army. For instance, I was never referred to as "Staff Sergeant" always sergeant or Mack.

The Marines, as I understand it, get persnickety about terms of address for enlisted folks and prefer to use the whole title
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
And Colonel.

Also, General. But General shouldn't be hard to distinguish because we can all count to four. (hopefully)

Sergeant works for buck sergeants and (some) staff sergeants in the Army. For instance, I was never referred to as "Staff Sergeant" always sergeant or Mack.

The Marines, as I understand it, get persnickety about terms of address for enlisted folks and prefer to use the whole title
Yes, anyone who's ever called a Gunnery Sergeant "Sergeant" won't make that mistake again.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Seeing something Thejoker wrote on the wiki reminded me of this: Should we standardize how we do foreign titles? I've always preferred to have the page title be the US title, and then create redirects for the foreign/original title. That way, if you type in "Battleship Potemkin," it'll go straight to that page, rather than a search page. I see a lot of users use both, so it'd be Battleship Potemkin (Bronenosets Potyomkin). Any thoughts?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Seeing something Thejoker wrote on the wiki reminded me of this: Should we standardize how we do foreign titles? I've always preferred to have the page title be the US title, and then create redirects for the foreign/original title. That way, if you type in "Battleship Potemkin," it'll go straight to that page, rather than a search page. I see a lot of users use both, so it'd be Battleship Potemkin (Bronenosets Potyomkin). Any thoughts?
Going by the rule of using the US title if it has one, it should just be called "Battleship Potemkin" as it has had an official US release which used this title. The times when we use as English title with the foreign title in parentheses is when there is not official US release title and it is just a translation of the official foreign title. There is the exception that if the film goes by its foreign title in the US then it is not translated.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I've added it to the style guide.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
2.39:1 is the most common aspect ratio for modern cinema released films. For example, all the screenshots on the Expendables 2 page. An example of a page where the images are 16:9 using 600px thumbnails is Burn Notice Season 6 (along with most current television series like Hawaii Five-0, Nikita or Covert Affairs and movies that aren't 2.39:1).
I agree that 2.39 to 1 widescreen films should only go up to 600px since this has been the standard widely used throughout the site. 500px was originally the norm, but it was logical to change this with HD sources more readily available.

I generally believe that films that are shot in the 16x9 or 1.85x1 format should be 600px if the screencaps are high quality enough (either HD or directly from a commercial DVD). Otherwise, 500px for these films.

As for older films in the 4x3 format, 400px to 500px depending on the quality.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben41 View Post
I agree that 2.39 to 1 widescreen films should only go up to 600px since this has been the standard widely used throughout the site. 500px was originally the norm, but it was logical to change this with HD sources more readily available.

I generally believe that films that are shot in the 16x9 or 1.85x1 format should be 600px if the screencaps are high quality enough (either HD or directly from a commercial DVD). Otherwise, 500px for these films.

As for older films in the 4x3 format, 400px to 500px depending on the quality.
I've changed the style guide back and changed the pages that were made in the meantime while we discuss this. For my two cents, I'm pro-700px for anamorphic widescreen, as A) most films today are filmed in HD, B) HD and BD caps are more and more prevalent, and C) widescreen monitors are also more and more prevalent. On the other hand, I agree that 700px caps for non-HD or BD caps don't look great.

(Speaking of, we need someone to get BD caps for Lawrence of Arabia.)