imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Not really, the numbers add up. They gave me well more than half of what each gun was worth which is usually what a shop will do in a trade, and he waved the background check fee too. It's a pretty small shop too, I don't even think they carry ammo, but they had a lot of nice classic S&W guns including a 559 in great condition. Blew my mind that they had one.
I rarely see any shops carrying older S&W's (other than Collector's). It seems people around here tend to hold on to them

Hell, I can barely find used Smiths anymore. It's always been that way, but up until a few years ago, the gunshows were absolutely littered with .40 caliber 3rd gen's (I'm guessing that most of them were former service pistols, based on the number of policemen around here that carry them, and the fact that many switched to Glocks)

http://www.introvertisland.com

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 05-03-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:03 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I handed over My Springfield GI (kept the wood grips it came with and the cleaning rod, love that cleaning rod) and My Remington 870 (kept the stock and put the derpy Thompson pistol grip on). I didn't really like either gun nor did they fill any sort of niche for me so it was an easy trade. I really look forward to shopping for the little bugger.
That wasn't too bad of a trade I guess, older Smiths do command a good price. Does your state allow private firearm sales? I know not everyone is comfortable with that though, but you usually come out better money wise.

I was surprised when I traded my G19 for the Model 60 I have now he went straight up. The M60 had only been there a few hours and he was asking $430 for it.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM

I've listed my 1911 for sale a couple times and I didn't get any bites, and the 870, well, you can get them new just about anywhere for not much more than a used price. I may have saved 100, maybe 200 bucks in the process but it was too much work to try, and no telling how lone the Model 60 would have stayed in his shop. It worked out well enough in the end for me, and I can still sell off the remaining trinkets from the guns to get a little more money.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I've listed my 1911 for sale a couple times and I didn't get any bites, and the 870, well, you can get them new just about anywhere for not much more than a used price. I may have saved 100, maybe 200 bucks in the process but it was too much work to try, and no telling how lone the Model 60 would have stayed in his shop. It worked out well enough in the end for me, and I can still sell off the remaining trinkets from the guns to get a little more money.
Where did you list it, armslist?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Not really, the numbers add up. They gave me well more than half of what each gun was worth which is usually what a shop will do in a trade, and he waved the background check fee too. It's a pretty small shop too, I don't even think they carry ammo, but they had a lot of nice classic S&W guns including a 559 in great condition. Blew my mind that they had one.
Waved the background check fee? Gun shops in your state actually have that? But thats a pretty good trade since a pre-owned 870 should be around $150-$200 trade-in and a GI 45 should bring around $300 in a trade-in value.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
Waved the background check fee? Gun shops in your state actually have that?
Yes there's a 10 dollar fee in Oregon for a background check, but it's an instant check so you get the gun the same day. In Florida where I'm from, you used to have to pay the fee AND wait 5 days, so I'm not complaining, especially since this time I didn't have to pay it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
But thats a pretty good trade since a pre-owned 870 should be around $150-$200 trade-in and a GI 45 should bring around $300 in a trade-in value.
That's pretty much exactly how I felt with regard to the numbers which is why I'm happy with it.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 PM

50 rounds of 9mm
50 rounds of .45 ACP
50 rounds of .38 Special

Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 AM

Got some Safariland COMP-1 speedloaders to try out as well as a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster and a Wilson Combat spring kit. I'm gonna replace the rebound slide spring to hopefully lighten the DA pull since it's ridiculously heavy right now and the serrations actually cause a bit of pain on break. I may get a trigger job on it as well if my local gunsmith will quote me a good price. Not really sure on the pocket holster given the relative heft of the gun (it's not my Hi-Power but I can see why people rationalize Airweights now) but it was cheap so I thought I'd give it a try. For a legitimate carry holster I'm torn between a Galco Summer Comfort IWB or the Galco Classic Lite shoulder rig. Thinking about standard pressure .38 loads as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
50 rounds of 9mm
50 rounds of .45 ACP
50 rounds of .38 Special
Did you get the .38 Special for your 686?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Did you get the .38 Special for your 686?
I got it to use in any of the three guns in the house that fire .38 special. Most of what we have are wadcutters or high pressure loads, and I figured it would be nice to have some normal .38's

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 05-05-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:56 PM

All that ammo already arrived. I guess that is what happens when you buy from a place only an hour or two away from where you live