imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-14-2011, 12:43 PM

And snap caps help practice loading and unloading.

i think a perfect trigger weight is 4.5 pounds. The Triggers on SIG da/sa autos (in sa) many 1911s and my revovler (n sa) are this lght and shoot well but you can control it unlike a 2lb match trgger that goes off you stare at it too long.

Im not wedded to one grip. Some people think you use one for everything and avoid the other. In a real gunfight, standing squared up, shouler width apart arms fully outstretched will get you killed, you have to run to cover. ISO is great for running forward or back. However, side to side, you have to use weaver-ish hold. And shooting around cover, I would use weaver to expose as little of myself as possible. However ill never use the thumbs forward grip, sure the big name competitors use it, but steel plates dont get drunk and try to steal your gun, get closer than 10 yards, and need to be held up while being cuffed.

Grunt, Mass effect 3

Last edited by k9870; 06-14-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
And snap caps help practice loading and unloading.

i think a perfect trigger weight is 4.5 pounds. The Triggers on SIG da/sa autos (in sa) many 1911s and my revovler (n sa) are this lght and shoot well but you can control it unlike a 2lb match trgger that goes off you stare at it too long.

Im not wedded to one grip. Some people think you use one for everything and avoid the other. In a real gunfight, standing squared up, shouler width apart arms fully outstretched will get you killed, you have to run to cover. ISO is great for running forward or back. However, side to side, you have to use weaver-ish hold. And shooting around cover, I would use weaver to expose as little of myself as possible. However ill never use the thumbs forward grip, sure the big name competitors use it, but steel plates dont get drunk and try to steal your gun, get closer than 10 yards, and need to be held up while being cuffed.
The idea with ISO is you stay in retention while moving and alternating targets (meaning you bring the gun into your chest with your elbows cocked out) and then extend, touch, press when needed. If the target is too close to extend, you rest your non-dominant hand on your chest and fire at the target from the hip. The point of retention is so you keep the gun close to you at all times, and your elbows stay cocked out so someone cannot easily disarm you from behind.

Alternatively with Weaver, the defensive stance is to have the gun pointed towards the ground. This is better than the "Hollywood High Ready", because if someone tries to grab your arms and stop you from bringing your gun to the ready, you can fire into their legs and abdomen, where with the High Ready you wouldn't be able to level the gun on them.

I sort of mix Weaver with ISO. I like to keep my left elbow bent when I extend, it keeps me more stable and for some reason, it looks more professional to me than having both arms fully extended (it looks amateurish to me). But I like the retention, it makes you fast and keeps you safe from disarming when it's not the first thing you think of.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 PM

venticedi kind of prefer soon autos and weaver with wheelguns due to much better recoil control in weaver. Seemsi can control heavy triggers in weaver better too.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 PM
IMFDB Admin

When it comes to triggers, I prefer about 3.5lbs. I was taught to pull the trigger with the tip of my finger, because it is the most sensitive and since you aren't wrapping your whole finger around the trigger, the gun has less chance of pulling to the left or right. When I pull double action, I use the second tier (or whatever you'd call it) of my finger (or at the bend), so I have better leverage.

I always feel like I sound preachy when I talk about technique, so my apologies if I come off that way to anybody. I'm far from a perfect shooter, but I figure it doesn't hurt to pass on knowledge for others to try out. I've had some teachings from competition shooters (some guys get there guns fixed at the shop, and when they test fire, they give pointers), as well as just watching shows like The Best Defense or reading up online, to accumulate some different techniques.

To reiterate, I am not preaching anything as THE way to shoot. Everybody has their own preferences and methods to suite them, I just share mine and what I've learned.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 PM

Im a big proponent of shooting the way you feel confortable, but being open to new ideas and trying different things. I prefer 4.5 on a pistol about 3.5 on a rifle.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Im a big proponent of shooting the way you feel confortable, but being open to new ideas and trying different things. I prefer 4.5 on a pistol about 3.5 on a rifle.
It depends on the size and purpose of the gun in question in my opinion. If the rifle is something like an AR-15, I like about 3.5lbs. If the rifle is something like a bolt-action long range rifle, with a larger need for precision, something like 2lbs with maybe a little hangtime is what I prefer. That way you can take up the creep while aiming, and fire without squeezing the trigger for too long and over-anticipating the shot.

Same with handguns, it can depend on the size or purpose. A full-size automatic or revolver, I'd prefer about 3.5lbs in single action, maybe 7-8lbs tops in DA. But if I'm shooting some little .380 Kel-Tec with an 8lb trigger, that makes things a little difficult. Same with a higher caliber handgun. If the pull in DA is too long, it can give you more time to over-anticipate the shot.

It's far from an exact science, but 3.5 is my average preference I guess.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:54 PM

My savage breaks at 3 pounds 2 ounces and seems just about perfect, but then again i have the most trigger time on it so probably just grew used to that. I hate little guns like the kel tec, i have a large hand (large glove size) and cant fit a p3at or lcp or such n it, they feel rediculous.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 AM

If my cheap FM90 can take dry fire, your 4506 can handle it. I have a 645 and its fine with it.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 AM

But, snap caps are cheap. Theyre not made of gold. Just man up pay the 3.99 and use them.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 AM

Where have you seen them for 3.99? Were they some no name brand or one of the 2 packs for a rifle/shotgun caliber? About everywhere I look for pistol caliber Snap Caps they want around 15 bucks. I can never rationalize buying them though because for that price I can buy a box of real 9mm ammo and dinner. My friends have them though and enjoy using them, and if I could get a lot of cheap dummy rounds to practice loading and ejecting, I would but my brain won't allow me to buy them at that price, especially when I subscribe to the idea that they are not necessary for safe dry fire, and consider that they wear out over time too, and pretty quickly from what I can tell.

And I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you can handle DA triggers better in a Weaver stance after trying it one time. A few times maybe, but not once. I did a decent grouping with my 1911 at 10 yards with one hand a few years ago, and I assumed I could shoot better with one hand than with two. Since then I' haven't been able to produce a decent one handed group with anything, even guns easier to shoot than my 1911, so I've pretty much dismissed that idea.

I also think that 4.5 pounds is about perfect for me too at this point since I've shot nothing but 5+pound triggers in my time, and the slight decrease in weight makes for a slightly more surprised break without a complete underestimation of when the trigger will go off. My buddy's Jericho is worn down to perhaps 4 pounds or less judging by my other buddies SIG (which shoots the best of anything I've shot save for my Hi-Power) and I've found I break long before I think I'm going to when shooting it, and it messes my rhythm up. The real point is that it's all relative to what one is accustomed too, granted I think some trigger types, or perhaps triggers specific to a certain gun are easier to master than others, but everything is somehow mastered I'm sure.