imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-15-2017, 11:10 PM

nice, hows .44 special compared to other rounds?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:25 AM

I love the .44 Spl. I think it and the .41 Magnum are what all revolvers should be chambered in. Well them and .38-44 High Velocity.

Ruger makes a good six gun.

Neat piece!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 AM

I think a .44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog would be a neat gun to like tape to the back of my toilet tank or stick to a magnet behind somewhere; cheap enough you won't care that it's stashed, .44 is pretty potent, and I don't think it'd be as HORRIFYINGLY LOUD (by a little) as a .357 indoors

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-24-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
Now that's a nice spinner, son! For some reason I'm particularly intrigued by 3" barrels.. not sure why, but just about all of them look real good. Likin' the chambering, too - Forgot they got those in .44 Sp.

All-told, real nice one!
They were just released earlier this month.
I love the 3" bbl, too, on a DA gun, they seem to balance just right.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
nice, hows .44 special compared to other rounds?
I went without shooting it for the longest time.
Bought my first 44 Magnum in the mid 90s (Redhawk) and eventually Smiths, Desert Eagle, Thompson Center, etc.

I overlooked the Special for years as the price difference was only a few dollars less than the Magnums. until 3 or 4 years ago when I bought a S&W Model 24 and it took Specials.

I compare it to a 45 ACP or a 45 Colt at a sub-magnum level. Took me twenty years to try it, but when I did, I finally got it.

I'm supposed to have the 8-shot Ruger Redhawk in 357 Magnum soonish.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Searson View Post
They were just released earlier this month.
I love the 3" bbl, too, on a DA gun, they seem to balance just right.
I had heard they were bringing that caliber, but I thought it had been out for a wee bit already. Guess I was wrong, either way though! But it just looks great. I remember the S&W Model 696 they had for a minute a few years back, and thought it looked good, even with the full underlug.

I agree 3" does have a good balance and feel on most revolvers, though I think 4" works pretty well too overall.

Agree about the Bulldog, would be a good piece to put up somewhere, like that.

I like the special both itself but also as a Smith man - In all honesty I'd probably shoot it more in the wheelguns. Though I'd probably also have some Magnums, though those would be more for shoulder pieces - Lever-action carbines and such.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Replaced the factory installed front sight with a high-viz front sight that I ordered directly from Ruger. Replaced the Houge grips with Altamont grips. The grip panels are made of "bonded ivory" which I ordered as well. Altamont is one of a few companies that makes the original rubber grips that Ruger used to put on the GP100. The older style grips fit my hands better and I just like the look of them.

Last edited by Jcordell; 09-09-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:48 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

That's ironic, I was trying to replace my original wood and rubber grips on my GP100 with a Hogue grip, but I can't since I have an early model. I got lighter springs on mine to lighten the DA trigger pull. I'll have to look into the high viz front sight.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
That's ironic, I was trying to replace my original wood and rubber grips on my GP100 with a Hogue grip, but I can't since I have an early model. I got lighter springs on mine to lighten the DA trigger pull. I'll have to look into the high viz front sight.
My eyes are getting older along with the rest of me and I find that the red front site is just easier to see plus I'm more of a traditionalist.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Well I was worried that my sole Ruger GP100 was getting lonely so when I found this 3" GP100 I had to take it home for company. Incidentally I don't have large hands and the smaller grips that used to be standard on the 3" movel fits the full-size model as well. Fits my smallish hands very nicely. Reminds me of the Pachmayr Compac grip.

Last edited by Jcordell; 10-09-2017 at 09:24 PM.