imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Actor destroyed my Remington 1907-15 Berthier

Mint condition, 100% blued, perfect wood. The actor dropped it in front of a slow moving Model T Truck and snapped it just behind the bolt handle. Don't know how much it was worth since it was a gift many years ago. Yet another RETARDED actor story. Will post pictures of the destroyed gun for posterity.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Who pays for the guns that are broken due to actor's mistake, them or their agents? Or is it so-called "tough sh*t" for armourers?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:21 PM

Which movie or show were you working on?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkoTanko View Post
Who pays for the guns that are broken due to actor's mistake, them or their agents? Or is it so-called "tough sh*t" for armourers?
The production company is liable for damage. The actor never sees ANY liability nor responsibility for their actions and rarely do their actions result in them being fired so there is NO INCENTIVE for them to act responsibly (except for an armorer yelling at time). Also production companies many times don't realize nor care that guns are rare or in pristine condition when they are used. This also goes for any historical item that is real (like gear or uniforms). Also the heads of the props/Art departments can be real penny pinchers.

"Oh! Its ridiculous to expect us to reimburse anything more than $50 for a destroyed Colt Single Action Army!!!"
Etc. Because many times they know nothing about guns and think I'm lying when I quote them the blue book value.

To be fair, the major studio productions are usually pretty good about paying replacement cost (PLUS punitive damages) but that's not the point. We all know there are guns we just can't replace so it really sucks when actors act like retards.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
The production company is liable for damage. The actor never sees ANY liability nor responsibility for their actions and rarely do their actions result in them being fired so there is NO INCENTIVE for them to act responsibly (except for an armorer yelling at time). Also production companies many times don't realize nor care that guns are rare or in pristine condition when they are used. This also goes for any historical item that is real (like gear or uniforms). Also the heads of the props/Art departments can be real penny pinchers.

"Oh! Its ridiculous to expect us to reimburse anything more than $50 for a destroyed Colt Single Action Army!!!"
Etc. Because many times they know nothing about guns and think I'm lying when I quote them the blue book value.

To be fair, the major studio productions are usually pretty good about paying replacement cost (PLUS punitive damages) but that's not the point. We all know there are guns we just can't replace so it really sucks when actors act like retards.
Something tells me this wasn't the first time it happened. I would expect bit more professional manner from actors when handling props for their roles, be it gun, suit or a pen. But actors can be really childish at times, be it Hollywood megastars or amateurs in their schoolmate's art project.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 PM
IMFDB Admin

You'd think they respect people when they have an entire armory of guns.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 AM

Wow, tough break there. If it was something relatively expendable, sure. Just roll your eyes and chalk it up to actors will be actors.
But that has to just suck.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 AM

Shit, sorry to hear that man. A Remington too.

If it matters, it's worth about $600-800. The Remingtons weren't actually accepted by the French so they turn up in good shape fairly often.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Was it a personally owned firearm or a com pany gun? BTW, what movie/tv show are you working on?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post

That's bullsh*t. These actors should be liable for their own actions. They should not be given a free pass like spoiled children.