imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 AM

Default Yet another idiotic gun control scheme...

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalert...to-police.html

Anyone who buys at least 1,000 rounds would now effectively be a criminal.

And I couldn't help but facepalm at this part.
Quote:
State Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, recently proposed separate gun-control legislation, Senate Bill 249, to ban devices enabling magazines of military-style rifles to be reloaded so quickly that semiautomatic guns can be fired almost like assault weapons.
Seriously?

Who does they think we are, a nation of Flashes?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 AM

Because a spree shooter is actually going to carry around 6,000 rounds let alone fire them........right
Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 AM

It's Komiefornia so what do you expect. the average IQ of the majority of the legislation isn't to my local temperature.

The folks from San Fransisco are even worse than average as they haven't met a liberal agenda they didn't back 100%.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:32 PM

So they want to make any sort of speed-loader illegal then, because it apparently ups the rate of fire of the weapon?

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

Senate Bill 249 actually refers to the "bullet button", classifying it as a regular removable magazine and hence any weapon that has one along with any "evil" features (e.g. a pistol grip) would be classified as an "assault weapon" and become illegal. So basically, if this passed the only way that you could have an AR-15 patter rifle would be for it to be featureless, lacking a pistol grip, folding stock, flash hider or forward pistol grip.

Just a random though, has anyone ever come up with an AR-15 upper receiver that could be reloaded with stripper clips through the top? Not only would this be legal to have with any features (no detachable magazine) I think it would be pretty cool in a retro sort of way.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
Senate Bill 249 actually refers to the "bullet button", classifying it as a regular removable magazine and hence any weapon that has one along with any "evil" features (e.g. a pistol grip) would be classified as an "assault weapon" and become illegal. So basically, if this passed the only way that you could have an AR-15 patter rifle would be for it to be featureless, lacking a pistol grip, folding stock, flash hider or forward pistol grip.

Just a random though, has anyone ever come up with an AR-15 upper receiver that could be reloaded with stripper clips through the top? Not only would this be legal to have with any features (no detachable magazine) I think it would be pretty cool in a retro sort of way.
Wouldn't it just be easier to just have a completely different rifle then?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Wouldn't it just be easier to just have a completely different rifle then?
Probably, if I lived in CA and wanted a .223 would probably just go for something like the Kel Tec SU-16CA (featureless so can have a regular detachable magazine without a bullet button). However, a lot of people will go to any lengths to use an AR-15 pattern gun. A stripper clip compatible upper would have the advantage that you could use AR-15 lowers (with some kind of fixed magazine release so the mag wasn't readily removable), barrels, handguards, grips and stocks. Mounting optics would be a bit of an issue though. Anyway, I assume it is impossible or else someone would have probably already done it.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
However, a lot of people will go to any lengths to use an AR-15 pattern gun.
More like be willing to jump through alot of hoops to exersize our second amendment rights. Those bulletbuttons arn't just for AR15 rifles. They work on anything that takes an AR15 magazine and they make bullet buttons for other style magwells. This law is just an attempt to make more firearms illegal since the gun owners in California have managed to circumvent an oderous infringment on their rights already.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Probably, if I lived in CA and wanted a .223 would probably just go for something like the Kel Tec SU-16CA (featureless so can have a regular detachable magazine without a bullet button). However, a lot of people will go to any lengths to use an AR-15 pattern gun. A stripper clip compatible upper would have the advantage that you could use AR-15 lowers (with some kind of fixed magazine release so the mag wasn't readily removable), barrels, handguards, grips and stocks. Mounting optics would be a bit of an issue though. Anyway, I assume it is impossible or else someone would have probably already done it.
Well, that's just what I mean. Different upper, different lower, isn't that just a different gun? And I suppose you could get an optics mount off to the side, like an M1C/D.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Well, that's just what I mean. Different upper, different lower, isn't that just a different gun? And I suppose you could get an optics mount off to the side, like an M1C/D.
Not really, it would still be an AR-15 and be compatible with AR-15 parts. It would just have a different upper receiver (I imagine you could fit a "fixed" magazine release to any lower so that would not need to be changed). Regardless it was just a random though that occurred to me whilst trying to think of a workaround and is probably impossible for some technical or ergonomic reason that is eluding me right now.