imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default What is a reasonable time limit for tagging a page incomplete or no effort?

Sorry but we have to codify this in writing.

We have the "incomplete" tag to mark pages that have gone on long enough that we are now inviting someone OTHER than the page's creator to help fix or complete it.

We have the "no effort" tag for pages which seem like the creator just abandoned it or didn't know what in the hell they were doing.

We have the "Nuke" tag for pages which are so incomplete or don't qualify for inclusion in IMFDB that they scream for deletion.

BUT we cannot slap these tags on pages without giving the creators fair time to work on the page or complete it. It is overzealous to tag something BEFORE a reasonable amount of time has passed for the page to be completed or complete enough not to be tagged. This is in recognition that it takes TIME to build a page and also that people have lives outside of IMFDB and sometimes life pulls them away.

So what is a reasonable amount of time? I propose each page creator is given minimum of a week free of harassment from any member or mod. That way ample time is given to the user/member to upload images, organize the page and write descriptions (especially in a page that is gun heavy).

Thoughts and input are welcome.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 PM

I'd say about a week is enough time to get either complete or finish a good chunk of a page. I would just add that TV shows or really gun heavy films should get more time.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

As far as I'm concerned, a page that is simply "incomplete" doesn't need a time limit so long as it's got the required essentials (gun names, gun page links, gun pics, description of gun's use and by whom).

This is particularly applicable to pages that are made while a movie is in theaters and the only pics we can get are publicity photos/trailer screencaps, because such pages will never be complete until the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out (which won't be for several months at least).
Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, a page that is simply "incomplete" doesn't need a time limit so long as it's got the required essentials (gun names, gun page links, gun pics, description of gun's use and by whom).

This is particularly applicable to pages that are made while a movie is in theaters and the only pics we can get are publicity photos/trailer screencaps, because such pages will never be complete until the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out (which won't be for several months at least).
You misunderstand me. I'm talking about slapping a tag on a page that someone just started building. IMHO it's ridiculous to slap an {incomplete} tag on a page fifteen minutes after it's been created. It's ridiculous to slap a {noeffort} tag on a page that was made 30 minutes ago. Not everyone can dump an entire complete page on IMFDB in a minute (we have some members who do that, but they chose to do an exceptional amount of work BEFORE uploading anything).

There is also the etiquette of not editing someone's page when they are in the process of building it. When I look at a recent changes history, I can tell when someone is building a page. I don't touch it until some time has passed. The ONLY time I may edit (after taking a peek) is to correct an obviously WRONG Identification of a gun, but that is rare.

edit: The {incomplete} tag, though most gentle of ALL of the tags, is still insulting in that it is someone OPENLY CALLING all other members to complete your work for you, since "you (the page creator) obviously cannot or will not complete the page to minimum IMFDB specs"....

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 01-17-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
You misunderstand me. I'm talking about slapping a tag on a page that someone just started building. IMHO it's ridiculous to slap an {incomplete} tag on a page fifteen minutes after it's been created. It's ridiculous to slap a {noeffort} tag on a page that was made 30 minutes ago. Not everyone can dump an entire complete page on IMFDB in a minute (we have some members who do that, but they chose to do an exceptional amount of work BEFORE uploading anything).

There is also the etiquette of not editing someone's page when they are in the process of building it. When I look at a recent changes history, I can tell when someone is building a page. I don't touch it until some time has passed. The ONLY time I may edit (after taking a peek) is to correct an obviously WRONG Identification of a gun, but that is rare.

edit: The {incomplete} tag, though most gentle of ALL of the tags, is still insulting in that it is someone OPENLY CALLING all other members to complete your work for you, since "you (the page creator) obviously cannot or will not complete the page to minimum IMFDB specs"....

Hope this helps.
I remember when this little incident happened to you MPM, it was out of line to slap an incomplete tag on something you just created 15 minutes prior. I had it done to me because some of my screencaps lacked captions, but my page had been up for a while. As far as what kind of time lapse before tagging a page incomplete I guess 2 weeks for movie pages. TV shows are another matter, they can take a long damn time.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I remember when this little incident happened to you MPM, it was out of line to slap an incomplete tag on something you just created 15 minutes prior. I had it done to me because some of my screencaps lacked captions, but my page had been up for a while. As far as what kind of time lapse before tagging a page incomplete I guess 2 weeks for movie pages. TV shows are another matter, they can take a long damn time.
Well, it was just that one time, but I've seen it happen to other members by a variety of people, and frankly, I can't really get annoyed with people for rules which have not been actually written. If there is a rule which explicitly outlines a span of time, the person can fire back saying 'Hey, you didn't give me enough time before you started calling for everyone else to complete my page for me'. It would be only fair to actually write a clear rule so that the membership has a chance to read it.

Sometimes I've left a page and kinda forgot about it for months (doh!) and those pages were slapped with a tag. That didn't bother me because I had already let the page lapse with no new content in a while. No one should have a problem with that.

I like either 1 or 2 weeks for a movie page (to give working folks at least 2 weekends to do it), not sure about the time to do the MINIMUM standard for a TV series page (since it is ongoing and many times the DVDs aren't released in a timely manner and many shows don't even have DVD releases). I don't know about Videogames. but after a while, the tags are merited.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 PM

Nevertheless regardless of any amount of time I would think it is appropriate to apply the {{nuke}} tag to articles not compatible with IMFDB.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Nevertheless regardless of any amount of time I would think it is appropriate to apply the {{nuke}} tag to articles not compatible with IMFDB.
What about pages that have been up long before the rule about documentaries and such?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
What about pages that have been up long before the rule about documentaries and such?
Perhaps a {grandfathered} tag is in order? To indicate that though a page is technically against the rules, it has been given special recognition.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 AM

How about a {WorkInProgress} tag?
A kid in green tights broke into my house and smashed all my shit with a sword. Fuck video games.