imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-07-2010, 02:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Taurus Judge

I recently had to test fire a Taurus Judge Public Defender for a customer of my dad's. He said the hammer was too hard for him to cock and wanted the hammer spring and trigger lightened. The fact it has a hammer spur is I think a pretty clear indicator you're supposed to fire it double action typically, but it's quite easy to cock to single action if you pull the trigger a little first to clear the hammer back some. But anyway I shot some 410 shells through this thing and while the grip was a little too small to hold well, I thought it was pretty nice to shoot and had acceptable recoil. After experiencing it first hand I don't knock it quite as hard as I used to. I think it would actually make a decent CC handgun. The only problem with it is it's very innacurate. It wasn't hitting anything more than 10 yards away. I was using birdshot though, I assume the buckshot rounds would fair a little better, but I doubt the .45 LCs would because of the short barrel. So if you don't need to be a marksman at variable ranges, it's a pretty intimidating little piece for CQB. What do you guys think of it?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:03 AM

I'd rather have a S&W anyday, obviously. The Judge just isn't my cup of tea

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-07-2010, 03:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've handled and fired my buddy's Judge. The hammer isn't really hard to cock back. The double action isn't hard either. It's the kick and the weight that gets you

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-07-2010, 03:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I've handled and fired my buddy's Judge. The hammer isn't really hard to cock back. The double action isn't hard either. It's the kick and the weight that gets you
This was the spurred hammer Public Defender model though, with the shorter barrel and shorter grip. That's why he had trouble cocking it to single action, it has nothing to really grip the hammer with.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:49 AM

I've always wanted to shoot one. Maybe when I go to the range w/ my uncle who owns one I'll get to run a cylinder or 2 through it

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 PM

I always though the Judge would make a good trail gun, can't imagine carrying it for self-defense though.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Since I am a fan of wheelguns it always makes me happy to see a new revolver get made. It makes me even happier when that new revolver is a hit. But having said that I don't really care for it.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:45 AM

I always thought that firing something like that would break your wrist if you weren't careful. And how legal is it? Should it technically be considered a sawed off shotgun?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 AM

It's classified as a handgun, so it doesn't need to comply with rifle or shotgun requirements. The cartridge it fires doesn't always have to do with what it is and therefore what it has to be.

It's a nifty concept, but I personally have no use or want for it, as it's niche is fairly small (snake gun, trail gun, and those can be better served by other guns too). I doubt anyone would carry this thing concealed over a regular revolver or automatic. It's good to hear you've fired one and have some good things to say about it though, and to hear from you at all, GM!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugabear View Post
I always thought that firing something like that would break your wrist if you weren't careful. And how legal is it? Should it technically be considered a sawed off shotgun?
Nah, it's recoil isn't that bad really. A little stout but I've shot way worse pistol calibers.