imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 AM

Default A modest proposal...

As I'm sure you all know by now, I love little more than to talk about the various idiosyncracies of guns, more from a historical or trivial perspective than in terms of performance (Townsend Whelan said "Onlt accurate rifles are interesting", I disagree). And although I do enjoy contributing to the odd page and the forum, I'm not supremely interested in the film industry.

What I would at least somewhat like to do it write about classic guns for a gun magazine - more of a Man At Arms then a Guns and Ammo, though I'm a huge Garry James fan. Don't imagine there's much of a living in it, but frankly with my education and experience I can pretty much write my own ticket in several departments of the federal government, so it might be a fun side project.

Anyways, I'd like to practise and build up a portfolio, or at the very least kill some of my off time in the month and a half I have left in Afghanistan. So I'd like to start trying my hand at writing some articles on whatever subject strikes my fancy - sometimes it will be pre-1911 Colt Autos, sometimes it will be current small arms of the Canadian Forces.

Ideally I'd like to post these on the actual IMFDB site, just because that gives me more imagery and formatting to play with, but this is of course way outside the scope of the site. I'd like to ask permission to do so, otherwise I'll post here in the forum and maybe start a second photobucket account to handle the imagery I want to use. Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think since this is a website about guns, articles that are written about guns would be a nice addition. We have set aside an entire section for these kinds of articles.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-05-2010, 02:27 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The only problem I have with actually posting the articles on the site is that I'm worried that if we allow you to do it, everyone else will, too. There are already lots of people who try to use this site for things that are beyond its intended purpose, so I feel like we'll have to explain endlessly to them why we only allowed one (trusted) user to upload non-movie gun stuff.

Dunno how many people remember, but we used to have a user named Cutaway who endlessly uploaded pictures of experimental guns that never appeared in any movies or even appeared on any pages, and we're still trying to clean up all the excess files he uploaded.

I do think it would be cool if you wanted to post stuff on the forum, on the other hand. Also, maybe I'm being ignorant, but aren't there lots of sites where people can write about gun history as freelancers?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 AM

That is a completely legitimate concern, and quite frankly the guns I plan on writing about are not the kind of guns you see in movies. My first article will either be Colt Service Autos 1900-1911 or Pre-War Star Service Autos.

The reason I'd like to stick with a Wiki is quite frankly I use one at work, so I know how to work it.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
That is a completely legitimate concern, and quite frankly the guns I plan on writing about are not the kind of guns you see in movies. My first article will either be Colt Service Autos 1900-1911 or Pre-War Star Service Autos.

The reason I'd like to stick with a Wiki is quite frankly I use one at work, so I know how to work it.
Yeah, Wikis are a great way to write/publish stuff (the university I'm at provides Wiki space to grad students on request; I'm currently using one to publish/present my MA research).

Your request is perfectly reasonable, and I hate to turn you down on the basis of what other people do, but it is kind of a problem. We already have lots of issues with service space and people uploading stuff that's not related to the scope of the site.

Have you checked out some other firearms-related Wikis? Not sure how many good ones there, but they do exist. Also,I know there are a couple of professional writers and editors hanging around TFL and other gun-related forums. They'd probably be way better at helping you than we could ever be.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 PM

When you do publish, even if elsewhere, send us the links. I like your tastes in guns and it would be good reading.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 AM

Sounds like something I'd love to read, so if you do it, let us all know!
Old 04-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Site Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
As I'm sure you all know by now, I love little more than to talk about the various idiosyncracies of guns, more from a historical or trivial perspective than in terms of performance (Townsend Whelan said "Onlt accurate rifles are interesting", I disagree). And although I do enjoy contributing to the odd page and the forum, I'm not supremely interested in the film industry.

What I would at least somewhat like to do it write about classic guns for a gun magazine - more of a Man At Arms then a Guns and Ammo, though I'm a huge Garry James fan. Don't imagine there's much of a living in it, but frankly with my education and experience I can pretty much write my own ticket in several departments of the federal government, so it might be a fun side project.

Anyways, I'd like to practise and build up a portfolio, or at the very least kill some of my off time in the month and a half I have left in Afghanistan. So I'd like to start trying my hand at writing some articles on whatever subject strikes my fancy - sometimes it will be pre-1911 Colt Autos, sometimes it will be current small arms of the Canadian Forces.

Ideally I'd like to post these on the actual IMFDB site, just because that gives me more imagery and formatting to play with, but this is of course way outside the scope of the site. I'd like to ask permission to do so, otherwise I'll post here in the forum and maybe start a second photobucket account to handle the imagery I want to use. Any thoughts?
What if I set up a blog on the imfdb domain? A place where articles would look more like articles, and less like a collaborative wiki?

blog.imfdb.org?
imfdb.org/blog?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:13 AM

Well, if you want to do it, as I said I would certainly contribute.