imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 AM

Default The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Was curious if anyone can identify the guns used in this movie? No one has built the page yet, I would do it but my gun recognition skills are not very good. I'll list the guns I know of.

Rifles used by guards during the bank heist.
The machine guns used by the Phantom's men (Modified AK-47's maybe?)
Revolver held by a commanding officer in the blimp area.
Guided missile launcher used by the Phantom in blimp area.
The revolver Quatermain carries (A Webley?)
The multiple double rifles used by the hunters when attacked.
Pistols used by the Phantom's men in Africa.
The "Matilda" rifle used by Quatermain.
The Winchester rifles Tom Sawyer owns.
Tom's revolvers.
A gold plated Luger used by Grey, it looks like.
The rifles used by Nemo's men (Look like modified Sten guns)
The pistol Nemo carries.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well I know the "Automatic weapons" that the baddies in the movie uses, aren't real life guns, but they might be based off of something.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-25-2008, 12:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Sawyer's rifle

I haven't seen the movie in a long time, but I believe his rifles were Winchester 1873s with engraving. I can't remember what Connery's elephant gun was, I'll have to rewatch the film sometime soon.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:01 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Long Mountain Outfitters has a page for this movie that, at the moment, is better than ours:

http://www.longmountain.com/movieguns/LXG

LMO has pull with many armorers (I believe they rent/sell to many of the major armories), so they get to take photos of actual movie guns in many cases.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Diego Wolfwood
Quote:
WolfwoodWas curious if anyone can identify the guns used in this movie? No one has built the page yet, I would do it but my gun recognition skills are not very good. I'll list the guns I know of.
Hi. My fist posting here. I'm both a gun buff and a movie buff. This looks like a good forum to be a member of.

Well the Webley carried by Quartermain is a Webley, but I believe that it is actually a Webley-Green Model 1889 Army. The Webley Green is sometimes referred to as a "W-G" for short. Green was a Edwinson Green who designed the famous Webley "stirrup latch". The Model 1889 could be had with either a 6" barrel or a 7.5" barrel with adjustable sights. I believe that Connery is carrying a M 1889 "W-G" with the 7.5" barrel.

This model was very popular with British officers at the time and British Soldiers of Fortune - ala Quatermain. The "W-G's" are considered to have been some of the finest Webley revolvers ever made and were a real cut above the Army issue Webley revolvers.

The double barrel rifle carried by Quatermain could be a Holland & Holland, Purdey, Churchill,Alex Henry, Westley Richards or a rifle made by one of hundreds of fine arms makers that exsisted in England in the 19th century.

It's caliber is probably .450 3 1/4" Black Powder Express. It was a very popular cartridge during the second half of the nineteenth century and into the twentieth century. Though it was really only a deer or medium game cartridge at best the famous African hunters Sealous and Taylor both used it to take elephant. But this was a stunt best done only by experienced African hunters.

One can assume that the fictional Quatermain is on their level if not higher.

If that rifle is authentic then it's worth tens of thousands of dollars at least. I would hope it's a reproduction, but you never know with movies.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:23 AM

Thanks for all the information so far, I've been very interested in the guns of this movie for awhile now, keep them coming if anyone knows more.