imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I give the kid some credit for even finding a real Hollywood armorer. I wouldn't even know where to start.
Sad part is, he's probably one of our members. MPM lists himself as an armorer on his profile, so he probably went from there to find his contact info.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitoryu12 View Post
Sad part is, he's probably one of our members. MPM lists himself as an armorer on his profile, so he probably went from there to find his contact info.
I thought MPM guarded his identity on this website better than a nun her virginity in a brothel?

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I thought MPM guarded his identity on this website better than a nun her virginity in a brothel?
Correct. This kid has worked with (or at least tried) with everyone in the biz at least one time or another over the last few years. I suspect that someone forwarded him to ME just to get the kid off HIS back. that's the way it works.

Anyway, IMFDB members have been pretty respectful of my need for anonymity, being that there are tons of vindictive folks in Hollywood who will NOT hire you for not towing their particular political line. No need to lose my livelihood over outspoken stances. That is why IMFDB is my safe port in a storm, my safe haven. The moment anonymity is lost, will be the last you will ever see of me here. No more screen used gun pics, no more gun pics, no more edits, etc. LOL. Like the proverbial Rumpelstiltskin, you know my name, I'm gone forever
Old 04-14-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Correct. This kid has worked with (or at least tried) with everyone in the biz at least one time or another over the last few years. I suspect that someone forwarded him to ME just to get the kid off HIS back. That's the way it works.
It could be a lot worse. There are some personalities who just can't let a problem rest, like the "Atomic Boy Scout," a wayward Boy Scout who at the tender age of 17 tried to build a working nuclear reactor in his backyard shed, which ended up turning into an impromptu radiological device, all before the heyday of the Internet. Compared to that, making black powder, or smokeless powder, or even fertilizer bombs are child's play.

Quote:
Anyway, IMFDB members have been pretty respectful of my need for anonymity, being that there are tons of vindictive folks in Hollywood who will NOT hire you for not towing their particular political line.
Anonymity is a shield, but hardly a sturdy one, as the recent epidemic of "doxxing" has proved, or even in government circles (go look at the Valerie Plame affair). I'm surprised that people might not hire you based on your political beliefs, though; I mean, as long as you supply all the needed props and blanks on time and on budget, it's no matter what your political beliefs are, right?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I'm surprised that people might not hire you based on your political beliefs,
Do you even know what a Hollywood Liberal is? Much less met one?

Quote:
though; I mean, as long as you supply all the needed props and blanks on time and on budget, it's no matter what your political beliefs are, right?
Stay safe in your amazingly naive and almost childlike belief that people are fair, just, and mature LOL On the set we all just do the following - 1) "yes sir" 2) No sir 3) walk away when people start spouting vile political screeds and clean the guns. You don't bring up politics on set EVER. Though there are a bunch of famous actors I've met who do. I just walk away (sure there is steam blowing out of my ears) but I maintain the professional outward demeanor.

And remember, I've seen actors abuse their weapons and I've yanked them back and they quip "Oh, well I hate guns myself". So their own pathologies allows them to take out their aggressions on expensive tools and equipment owned by others? Right.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Do you even know what a Hollywood Liberal is? Much less met one?
Pardon me, I'm not a US Citizen so it's exceedingly unlikely I'd meet Hollywood stars.

Quote:
Stay safe in your amazingly naive and almost childlike belief that people are fair, just, and mature LOL On the set we all just do the following - 1) "yes sir" 2) No sir 3) walk away when people start spouting vile political screeds and clean the guns. You don't bring up politics on set EVER. Though there are a bunch of famous actors I've met who do. I just walk away (sure there is steam blowing out of my ears) but I maintain the professional outward demeanor.
I don't call it naive, I call it having professional attitude and demeanor. Why bring up things like politics when you don't have to? It just gets in the way of a smooth production. I would think that actors know how to act well already; can't they at least act civil and not bring up unnecessary stuff? Or do they chat up anyone and everyone with their hot button issues, from the best boy to the caterers?

Quote:
And remember, I've seen actors abuse their weapons and I've yanked them back and they quip "Oh, well I hate guns myself". So their own pathologies allows them to take out their aggressions on expensive tools and equipment owned by others? Right.
I would have thought that you had production companies sign contracts with you that the actors will not unnecessarily abuse the weapons while the contract is active. James Cameron could afford the repair fees when he got Arnold Schwarzenegger to drop a minigun on a hard floor back in Terminator 2; I doubt many other production companies would like to be saddled with repair/replacement fees for guns of yours their actors broke. Have you tried giving a briefing session to actors unfamiliar with guns and teaching them the proper respect for these weapons, along with the usual safety briefing?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Or do they chat up anyone and everyone with their hot button issues, from the best boy to the caterers?
I've heard Sean Penn does.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-21-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I would have thought that you had production companies sign contracts with you that the actors will not unnecessarily abuse the weapons while the contract is active. James Cameron could afford the repair fees when he got Arnold Schwarzenegger to drop a minigun on a hard floor back in Terminator 2; I doubt many other production companies would like to be saddled with repair/replacement fees for guns of yours their actors broke. Have you tried giving a briefing session to actors unfamiliar with guns and teaching them the proper respect for these weapons, along with the usual safety briefing?
If the actual IMFDB page is correct, the dropped minigun was a cheap rubber prop. Which I believe, since Ahnold was in the military before becoming an actor and has some understanding of why you don't simply toss guns around willy-nilly, especially ones that are on loan and costs thousands upon thousands of dollars.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitoryu12 View Post
If the actual IMFDB page is correct, the dropped minigun was a cheap rubber prop. Which I believe, since Ahnold was in the military before becoming an actor and has some understanding of why you don't simply toss guns around willy-nilly, especially ones that are on loan and costs thousands upon thousands of dollars.
Yeah, the story about Arnold dropping the Minigun in "Terminator 2", against the wishes of armorer Harry Lu, is apocryphal. As IMFDB's entry for the movie points out, the weapon dropped was a rubber version (and a picture of it appears on the page).

That being said, there are stories of actors improvising and dropping live-fire weapons when they weren't supposed to. MPM, didn't you hear from Syd Stembridge that Sly actually threw down the M60 at the end of "First Blood: Part II"?
Old 05-22-2013, 02:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Pardon me, I'm not a US Citizen so it's exceedingly unlikely I'd meet Hollywood stars.
Not being a U.S. Citizen has nothing to do with being oblivious to what a "Hollywood Liberal" is. All one has to do is do things like watch the news, or read the newspaper. Meeting them in person is very instructive, but you don't have to physically be in contact with them to know the type. To not know, implies that a person is being what is called a 'low information voter', i.e. someone who does not keep up with politics, national news, international news, etc. Gotta be careful not to appear like that.
Quote:
I don't call it naive, I call it having professional attitude and demeanor.
What makes that statement naive is the assumption that everyone else in the world has a professional attitude and demeanor. Most people do not. You may show a stunningly professional attitude and demeanor when you're working. I can guarantee you that a majority of the human population does not.
Quote:
Why bring up things like politics when you don't have to? It just gets in the way of a smooth production. I would think that actors know how to act well already; can't they at least act civil and not bring up unnecessary stuff?
Again, Hollywood Liberals are insulated. They assume everyone around them has the same opinions. Stallone recently stuck his foot in it when he opined very anti gun statements after the tragic Newtown Massacre. Sure, we all feel horrible about the tragedy, but he assumed he was talking to a circle of elite folks who have private bodyguards. What's worse are the rich Celebs who are against gun ownership but they themselves have Concealed Carry permits. I've run into quite a few really big hypocrites, who are well known.

Also I think you're confusing them being good at their job (which is to act) versus the freedom to spout off their wacky political beliefs at the craft services table or at the meal breaks.
Quote:
I would have thought that you had production companies sign contracts with you that the actors will not unnecessarily abuse the weapons while the contract is active.
Yes, it would be nice to live in a world of the hypothetical. Production companies are responsible, but it's the stupid actors who don't care. Why? Because they themselves are never individually responsible for any damaged or destroyed props or weapons. Never. The production company ALWAYS picks up the tab. Thus we have a sense of entitlement amongst actors that they don't have to respect the props. I remember doing a TV show a long time ago for Warner Brothers and the actors went out of their way to destroy the guns (because they were improvising their fight scenes without telling the director). I was so angry that I charged Warner Brother 400% of the replacement fee. Guess what. WB wrote the check without question. But that's not the point. I now actively avoid sending out anything that is historically valuable or irreplaceable. things like perfect condition historical firearms. I KNOW they'll get ruined and I know that I won't have a problem getting money from the studios, but money can't replace something of great historical value.

Quote:
Have you tried giving a briefing session to actors unfamiliar with guns and teaching them the proper respect for these weapons, along with the usual safety briefing?
LOL. Of course we do. Doesn't matter. (see above) because ultimately there will be idiot actors who don't care.

Hope this helps. One of the mistakes of 'youth' is assuming that people are not inherently stupid, shallow, vindictive or immature. the older you get, the more prepared you are for the reality that most people will fall far short of your expectations.

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 05-22-2013 at 03:00 AM.