imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default I encourage admins to make more re-directs

One thing we should do more often is make new pages for specific gun variants that are grouped onto one page, and then add a re-direct. It makes it a lot simpler when making up pages and adding links.

For instance, let's say I wanted to link to the SIG P226 on the SIG-Sauer P220 pistol series page. Without a re-direct, you have to type (or cut and paste) all of this code into your page:

Quote:
[[SIG-Sauer P220 pistol series#SIG P226|SIG-Sauer P226]]
But, by making a new page called, "SIG-Sauer P226" and adding a re-direct that looks like this...

Quote:
#REDIRECT [[SIG-Sauer P220 pistol series#SIG P226]]
...I can now just write "[[SIG-Sauer P226]]" (no quotes) in my movie/TV show pages without adding all the other code, because the re-direct handles it for me automatically.

So, I encourage us to do this any time we have guns grouped on one page. Like the M16 page, for instance...let's add lots of re-directs for that one to simplify things. The cool thing is, we can do all sorts of variations on name to make it as simple as possible. For instance, you could make several pages for "M16A1" or "M16A1 Rifle" or "Colt M16A1", all with the same re-direct, and they would still all go to the same place.

Neat, huh?

Last edited by MT2008; 02-20-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

I've been doing that for a few guns (most recently the M1911 links directly now), but I usually only get to do it when I'm making a page so it isn't my main priority. I'll be sure to do this once I finish the Boondock Saints.