imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-10-2010, 02:37 AM

Question Region-appropriate firearms: South America

After doing a lot of work on the Boiling Point: Road to Hell page, I was wondering just how appropriate the firearms on that page are to the location the game takes place in (a fictional country modelled after elements of Colombia and Bolivia). AK-47s and IMBEL-MD3s? Sure. A Colt Anaconda in the pants of every "able-bodied" male civilian? Not so much. The Government military forces using M16s instead of the IMBEL rifles, the latter of which happen to be the standard-issue for the Drug Lords of the game? Not really believable, either.

I'm also surprised that Colt Anacondas feature so heavily in the game, when smaller, more practical pistols like the Taurus PT92 or PT1911 could be more reasonalbe carry pieces for the average civilian in the game. Replacing the Colt Anaconda with the Taurus Raging Bull might have been appropriate as well. Can anyone fill me in on what would have been more appropriate for a film or game set in a South American country with high rates of criminality, drug use, a group of insurgents running in the jungle and Narco-thugs everywhere? (Of course, that description already encompasses too many real life South American countries).

I'm also at a loss for other "local" firearms companies in South America--IMBEL and Taurus International are the only South American firearms manufacturers I know about, but surely they can't be the only ones. They're just the most well-known, right? Kind of how Colt is just the most famous American small-arms manufacturer, but is by no means the only one of note. I'd appreciate it if anyone could clear this up.

Finally, if you've read this far, I'm sure you've noticed that the Boiling Point page is still largely full of "unknown" entries because my own limited knowledge with firearm identification. Any relevant help there is something I'd also appreciate, and the page is here.

Last edited by Mazryonh; 08-10-2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Missed a link.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

The problem with game developers is that they do little or no research. Look at Modern Warfare 2.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-10-2010, 02:57 AM

In regards to the local firearms companies, there are several that come to mind, including FAMAE of Chile, which produces copies of the SIG SG 540 series and the SAF submachine gun, as well as Indumil of Colombia, which I believe inheirited the official license to produce the Galil rifle. Argentina and Venezuela also have domestic weapons manufacturing capabilities for the FAL and the AK-103 respectively.

As for weapons that would realistically be seen in South America, M16s wouldn't be particularly out of place. A number of police and military forces in Central and South America use M16/CAR-15 rifles, and porous borders mean that criminals could easily get their hands on them as well.

Last edited by Markit; 08-10-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
The problem with game developers is that they do little or no research. Look at Modern Warfare 2.
I'd say it varies. Some know more about guns than others, and some do more research than others. Some of them even hire professional armorers (the same guys who supply Hollywood) to let them rent and fire weapons. "Global Operations" is a perfect example of this.

It depends on the lead designer usually, and also the artists. I know that I was super anal about weapons details when I used to work on mods. (same as I am here on IMFDB )
Old 08-10-2010, 03:21 AM

There's also HAFDASA, Halcon and Bersa in Argentina.

I agree that the Colt Anaconda is an odd choice (as are alot of the more obscure Russian weapons like the PSS). The AUG is appropriate, as several South American nations use it, as is the M16A1 (lots do) and the IMBEL FAL.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:15 AM

Hey wow, did you do that whole page?
I never heard of the game before, but I think I'll check it out because I'm such a big STALKER fan.

Awesome page too, good quality all around!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
Hey wow, did you do that whole page?
I never heard of the game before, but I think I'll check it out because I'm such a big STALKER fan.

Awesome page too, good quality all around!
Yes, I made the majority of the Boiling Point page. The only things I didn't contribute there are the "developer's promo image" pictures.

Thanks for the reminder of the FAMAE SAF Submachine Gun. I had forgotten I'd seen it previously in Hitman: Blood Money, in a level that's located in Chile. In that game the FAMAE SAF is pretty similar to the MP5.

So if South American forces are using the M16A2, is the IMBEL MD-3 (a 5.56x45mm rechambering of the FN FAL) then redundant? I can at least understand the niche that the Steyr AUG fills (a bullpup rifle with a scope can be more useful in certain circumstances than a full-size assault-rifle), but the M16A2 seems to be in the same niche as the IMBEL MD-3. Is the FN FAL still the premiere battle rifle of South American forces?

How realistic is the appearance of the Uzi series of SMGs/Machine Pistols? I remember seeing one in the film City of God, but that's just one movie about one Brazilian favela (slum).

And is Taurus International still the most popular semiautomatic handgun manufacturer in South America? How about revolvers?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:12 AM

Well, Brazil is the only country that uses the MD-2 series. You can't really treat South America is a monolithic block, every army is different and uses different equipment. Most countries are replacing or have replaced the FAL, I think Argentina is probably the most notable holdout.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post

So if South American forces are using the M16A2, is the IMBEL MD-3 (a 5.56x45mm rechambering of the FN FAL) then redundant? I can at least understand the niche that the Steyr AUG fills (a bullpup rifle with a scope can be more useful in certain circumstances than a full-size assault-rifle), but the M16A2 seems to be in the same niche as the IMBEL MD-3. Is the FN FAL still the premiere battle rifle of South American forces?
As Nyles said, you can't really describe South America as a monolithic entity. The MD-3 may be in the same niche as the M16, but it was also primarily oriented towards Brazilian security forces rather than export. The M16 on the other hand is more common in countries which have received a degree of American support, whether it was during the Cold War or as part of military assistance for counter-narcotics operations.

Likewise, although the FN FAL is still present in the arsenals of many South American countries, it is not uncommon for most countries to have several different service rifles depending on the type of unit. For instance, while Peru still officially uses the FN FAL as its standard service rifle, its special forces use M4 Carbines and Galils, while airborne infantry use the AKM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Well, here´s a short summary of the available weapons in South America:

- Colombia: M4, M16 and variants), Galil, G3, M60, RPGs.

-Venezuela: Fn Fal, G3, Uzi, Dragunov, Ak-103, Fn Mag, RPGs, Igla.

- Brazil: Imbel Fal Variants, Fn Mag, Taurus handguns, Rossi shotguns and rifles, Madsen LMG (yep, they´re still in service) and several assault weapons in hands of drug dealers (M1, Mini 14, Ar variants).

- Peru: FM Fal, F2000, some Scar 16 & 17,...

-Ecuador:FN FAL, SIG 540, M16A2-A4, M4, Steyr AUG, HK-33, Uzi, PSG-1, FN MAG, Milkor MGL, AGS-17, Browning M1919,...

- Chile: H&k G36, Sig 540, Galil, MG3, M40, Famae Saf, ...

- Uruguay: Ak-101, FM Fal, Steyr AUG, Fn Mag, Famae Saf...

- Argentina: FM Fal, Fn Mag, MG3, Steyr Aug, M4, 9mm Ar, Uzi, FMK3, Fara 83, M16, Famae Saf, Sig 556, Fap, Mp5, Minimi...

-Paraguay: chinese CQ rifles and carbines (M16 copy), Fn Mag, Ar variants.

-Bolivia: FM Fal, Akm, Type 56, Fn Mag.

Quote:
I agree that the Colt Anaconda is an odd choice (as are alot of the more obscure Russian weapons like the PSS).
Trust me, big caliber revolvers are very popular here.

Quote:
I'm also at a loss for other "local" firearms companies in South America--IMBEL and Taurus International are the only South American firearms manufacturers I know about, but surely they can't be the only ones. They're just the most well-known, right? Kind of how Colt is just the most famous American small-arms manufacturer, but is by no means the only one of note. I'd appreciate it if anyone could clear this up.
Indumil (Colombia)
Rexio (Argentina)
FM (Argentina)
Bersa (Argentina)
Rossi (Brazil)
Famae (Chile)
Dine (Ecuador)
Sima Cefar (Peru)
Cavim (Venezuela)

Tags
game guns south america