imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Why are clearly superior screenshots replaced with crappier ones?

I've had High Def screenshots REPLACED (by other members) by identical shots that are clearly inferior screencaps on movie pages. Sure, the person completed the page because they had the DVD, but does it make sense to delete the super clear image and replace it with a bad one of the identical frame of film? I've been told before that this is done, because the superior quality screencaps makes the rest of the page look bad because the 'other member' is uploading lower quality images.... so the solution is to remove the high quality ones.

Do members buy this as a legitimate reason? Just curious.

I only ask because of the instances I am aware of, and those are of higher quality screenshots that I put up, being replaced by worse quality ones. It may have happened to others but I am not aware of any incidents, being that it would not catch my attention.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 AM

Quality of individual images come first in my Book. When I got help with the Deathmachine page I had tons of great pictures to work with. I chose only the clearest images to display. When someone fully screencaps Doomsday I expect the crappy images that I put up to go. As far as replacing an image with one that's of lesser image quality and Clarity...I think not as we want the best images possible. Frankly to replace good images with bad ones is putting the cart ahead of the horse. We can allways replace bad images with better ones but if there is ever a better image on a page that image should stay.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Lack of respect comes to mind. Maybe the user wanted to be the sole contributor of pics to the page. Why not contact the user and show a comparison of the pics? Ask them why they chose to replace it.

Rockwolf, I'll see what I can do about adding Doomsday to my rental list and get some better caps for you to upload.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Lack of respect comes to mind. Maybe the user wanted to be the sole contributor of pics to the page. Why not contact the user and show a comparison of the pics? Ask them why they chose to replace it.

Rockwolf, I'll see what I can do about adding Doomsday to my rental list and get some better caps for you to upload.
FYI I already capped Doomsday, and they're in a folder ready to go, but I've been too busy to upload them. [edit] I just wrote that so you would NOT have to spend $$ to rent it just for screencaps. I figured since no new screencaps had been put in since JULY it was kosher to give it a shot. Hey, I've BOUGHT movies where I waited too long and someone else eventually uploaded the screenshots. I'm cool with it as long as the screen shots don't suck.

But I'm kinda stuck in that I have to be politically sensitive because members get pissed when you replace their crap screenshots will high quality ones.

And of course, the aforementioned original question, why do people REMOVE high quality screenshots and replace them with lower quality ones, just because they weren't the ones to upload it.

Is it a valid arguement to say that high quality screencaps bring down the look of a page if the other screencaps aren't as good? It may be just an ego thing, but I don't understand it.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Is it a valid arguement to say that high quality screencaps bring down the look of a page if the other screencaps aren't as good? It may be just an ego thing, but I don't understand it.
bullocks, overwriting high quality screencaps with low quality screencaps is like firing a high-scoring team member because he makes the rest of the team look bad.

IMO overwriting an obviously higher quality screencap with a lower quality screencap is equivalent to vandalism.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
FYI I already capped Doomsday, and they're in a folder ready to go, but I've been too busy to upload them. [edit] I just wrote that so you would NOT have to spend $$ to rent it just for screencaps. I figured since no new screencaps had been put in since JULY it was kosher to give it a shot. Hey, I've BOUGHT movies where I waited too long and someone else eventually uploaded the screenshots. I'm cool with it as long as the screen shots don't suck.
I have a Netflix account, so it's a set price each month. I'll never go back to a video store again. While I have 300 DVDs, I'd never buy a movie just to cap either. That's ammo money.

Quote:
But I'm kinda stuck in that I have to be politically sensitive because members get pissed when you replace their crap screenshots will high quality ones.
I think that has a lot to do with the maturity of the user.

Quote:
And of course, the aforementioned original question, why do people REMOVE high quality screenshots and replace them with lower quality ones, just because they weren't the ones to upload it.

No valid argument there, most likely an ego thing like you said.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 AM

As far as Doomsday goes whoever wants to replace my crappy images please go for it.

I know that the stuff that I can do myself is of low quality and is to serve as a placeholder until someone can do a proper job. Whoever takes the time to improve what i start gets cudos from me.

As i said in my last post. Quality, Quality, Quality. We as a forum should go with the best quality image possible and ego's be damned.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:13 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
As far as Doomsday goes whoever wants to replace my crappy images please go for it.

I know that the stuff that I can do myself is of low quality and is to serve as a placeholder until someone can do a proper job. Whoever takes the time to improve what i start gets cudos from me.

As i said in my last post. Quality, Quality, Quality. We as a forum should go with the best quality image possible and ego's be damned.
I wish more members had your ethic. Unfortunately that is not commonplace in forums and wikis.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
I wish more members had your ethic. Unfortunately that is not commonplace in forums and wikis.
Funny thing is that I have had an international level politian call me a "...horrible, person." Fortunantly she was jokeing at the time. Still While there are times I would love to be a mod I know I shouldn't be given that level of power as I would do a sweep of the entire forum and delete any list of just guns i could find and tag anything else that doesn't have at least pictures, descriptions and links with an "Incomplete" tag. While my computer is an outdated POS it doesn't take long to make a page with pictures, links and descriptions of where the weapon is used. Maybe I'm getting sick of looking at shoddy work and little to no pride being put into pages.

PS: Great job on Doomsday. My only issue is that the GAU-19/A is .50BMG not 20mm. The gun is a mock up of two related designs.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
I would love to be a mod I know I shouldn't be given that level of power as I would do a sweep of the entire forum and delete any list of just guns i could find and tag anything else that doesn't have at least pictures, descriptions and links with an "Incomplete" tag.
......heh, same