imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 09-04-2014, 02:13 AM

Default We're all going to die

FYI I know I havent posted here in a while but I've already started digging a hole in my backyard.

Russian General Calls for Preemptive Nuclear Strike Doctrine Against NATO
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/busine...to/506370.html
Putin: You better not come after a nuclear-armed Russia
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/29/world/...kraine-crisis/
NATO To Create 'Spearhead' Rapid Reaction Force In Response To Ukraine Crisis
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5749262.html
"Significant escalation": Russian tanks enter Ukraine
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/signific...enter-ukraine/

I thought you all should know...
oh and btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewduaGHcRFI

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 09-04-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:32 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBMAHUkibY
Old 09-04-2014, 04:59 AM

Well, if this does happen, I'd like to tell you all that it's been nice knowing you guys.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 09-04-2014, 11:23 AM

As much as the concept of a visit from the Instant Sunshine Fairy scares the crap out of me, this all just seems to me to be like Russia jumping up and down and screaming for attention while everyone else is fixated on the goings-on in the Middle East.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:10 PM

The Crimea has historically been in the Russian sphere of influence.

That being said, well, you got to die of something, I just wish my initials were JC, and that Mother had married a Green Beret instead of a PJ.

If I just randomly pinned on four stars; you guys would follow me, right?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I think it's a little odd that we're defending Ukraine a lot more vigorously than we did Georgia, whih was actually an ally of ours. But as Bond villain-y as Putin is, I believe he's driven by pragmatism rather than ideology, and cooler heads will prevail. If I'm wrong, may radioactive fire rain from the sky.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:43 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

No, we are not all going to die. This sort of thing is practically de rigeur for dictators who lead by personality cult and/or nationalist/anti-American sentiment. Most of you guys are probably too young to remember, but even our "friend" Boris Yeltsin once declared he was willing to start a world war over Kosovo, back when the U.S. was bombing Serb forces/paramilitaries there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I think it's a little odd that we're defending Ukraine a lot more vigorously than we did Georgia, whih was actually an ally of ours. But as Bond villain-y as Putin is, I believe he's driven by pragmatism rather than ideology, and cooler heads will prevail. If I'm wrong, may radioactive fire rain from the sky.
Putin is pragmatic, but nationalism is a difficult beast to control once it's out of its cage.

I'm not worried about Putin using nukes in conflict, but I am worried about him taking bigger risks than expected in order to live up to the rep he's now built for himself, both domestically and in Russia's near-abroad. What the MH17 incident should teach us is that Putin has been stirring the pot without control of the stove temperature. I am sure he was pissed off at the separatists for what they did, but once it happened, he was forced to double down on his support for them in order to save face.

Last edited by MT2008; 09-12-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:05 PM

MT, after the thermonuclear war, and my self promotion to General/CINCRESISTANCE, will you be my J-2?

I'm not worried about this going nuclear, mainly because, the Ukraine is on the wrong side of the Caucus for us to reasonably project force.

No more VII Corps, and 1st Armored is at Bliss, not poised to defend the Fulda Gap.

Funny thing, I vaguely remember watching the coverage of Kosovo, Pop was assigned to KFOR as the AFSOC liason, and some sort of confortation between NATO and Russian troops at the airport.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:38 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
MT, after the thermonuclear war, and my self promotion to General/CINCRESISTANCE, will you be my J-2?
Sure, if you don't mind the fact that my first order of business will be to outsource collection and data storage to Booz Allen Hamilton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
Funny thing, I vaguely remember watching the coverage of Kosovo, Pop was assigned to KFOR as the AFSOC liason, and some sort of confortation between NATO and Russian troops at the airport.
Oh, yeah, you mean this?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Oh, yeah, you mean this?
Quote:
The following morning, Sunday 13th June, Clark arrived at Jackson's HQ at Skopje. It was pointed out to him that the Russians were isolated and could not be reinforced by air and that Russian support had been a vital part of getting a peace agreement. Antagonising them would only be counter-productive. Clark refused to accept this and continued to order the runway blocked, claiming to be supported by the UN Secretary General. Jackson refused to enforce Clark's orders, reportedly telling him "I'm not going to start the Third World War for you." When again directly ordered to block the runway Jackson suggested that British tanks and armoured cars would be more suitable, in the knowledge that this would almost certainly be vetoed by the British government. Clark agreed. Jackson was ready to resign rather than follow Clark's order. The British Ministry of Defence authorised British force commander Richard Dannatt to use 4 Armoured Brigade to isolate the airfield but not to block the runways. British officer Captain James Blount, who later found fame as a pop singer, was a troop commander of some of these vehicles. He has been quoted as saying he would rather have faced a court martial than use force against the Russians. Clark's orders were not carried out, and the United States instead put political pressure on neighbouring states not to allow Russia to use their airspace to ferry in the reinforcements. Russia was forced to call off the reinforcements after Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania refused requests by Russia to use their airspace.
So yeah. That's probably the closest we've gotten to instant sunshine.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.