imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post

I'm also surprised that you don't want a large standing military. Don't you owe your career to the fact that we have one? How do your reconcile your job with your political beliefs?
Well, first off, I'm a Guardsman, so I have a normal 9 to 5 day job. And I think there is a hell of a lot of a difference between having a small, elite, well trained, well equipped force and the bloated military we had circa the end of the Cold War.

Quote:
Don't you think it's strange that your mentality is shared by the IRA ("Armalite and the ballot box") and the PLO ("olive branch and the freedom fighter's gun")? When your philosophy sounds eerily similar to that of anti-Western, left-wing terrorist groups, that should give you pause.
No, not really, because at one point the Continentals were considered traitors and what not. It is trite, but the whole "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

Use of force arms is the biggest manifestation of political action, to me anyway. I certainly don't agree with the PLO, and don't know enough of the IRA to make an informed opinion, but I certainly can understand a group that when denied a lack of formal, legal recourse turns to arms.

And I reckon I'm now considered a right wing militia nutjob, too.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Now personally I find that to be hilarious considering the debate. But that's just me.
HEY! Everyone gets a vacation now and again.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
Well, first off, I'm a Guardsman, so I have a normal 9 to 5 day job. And I think there is a hell of a lot of a difference between having a small, elite, well trained, well equipped force and the bloated military we had circa the end of the Cold War.
Gotcha. I don't know why I thought you were Active-duty Army. But I still think that what you want is not a realistic hope. The military should (and does) downsize when global threats recede, but having a "small" military will never happen.

Quote:
No, not really, because at one point the Continentals were considered traitors and what not. It is trite, but the whole "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

Use of force arms is the biggest manifestation of political action, to me anyway. I certainly don't agree with the PLO, and don't know enough of the IRA to make an informed opinion, but I certainly can understand a group that when denied a lack of formal, legal recourse turns to arms.

And I reckon I'm now considered a right wing militia nutjob, too.
You are missing the point. I'm not trying to compare the PLO and IRA to the Continental Army; if you are willing to do that, then you are disrespecting the latter by making a comparison to the former. My point is that you share a mentality with terrorists who sought to undermine a liberal democratic republic, not build one. By equating the ballot box and ammo box, what you are really saying is, "Democracy doesn't work unless the government is afraid of being overthrown by force of arms." Does it really make sense to you that the Founding Fathers would endorse such an idea?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 PM

I have been on bouts of extended active duty here as of late. Like, above and beyond the one weekend/two weeks a year type deal. Some of that was OCS, and the other part was I got picked to be part of the liaison team between the 3rd ID and the 48th BCT, which involved a lot of active duty work. (and a lot of beer at the Soldier's Club)

I think every O-2 in the military has an idea about how the military should look.

I don't think the Government should necessarily be afraid of the people, but should realize that they govern with the consent of the govern, are answerable to the citizenry, and that the citizens, if the need arise may use their lawfully held private arms to depose a corrupt regime.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:51 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Sorry to disappear; I've been busy. It's not that I've been away from IMFDB; just constantly getting distracted whenever I try to muster the energy to concentrate on writing a response. Plus, I sense that I'm playing with fire.

Quote:
I have been on bouts of extended active duty here as of late. Like, above and beyond the one weekend/two weeks a year type deal. Some of that was OCS, and the other part was I got picked to be part of the liaison team between the 3rd ID and the 48th BCT, which involved a lot of active duty work. (and a lot of beer at the Soldier's Club)
You commissioned? Congrats! One of these days, I may have to ask you about your experiences with that (I'm having serious trouble just getting MEPS to cooperate with my application to USAR because I already applied to the Air Force).

Quote:
I don't think the Government should necessarily be afraid of the people, but should realize that they govern with the consent of the govern, are answerable to the citizenry, and that the citizens, if the need arise may use their lawfully held private arms to depose a corrupt regime.
Right, but the problem is, how do you define "corrupt" regime, and who determines when it is time to overthrow it? The current administration has committed a number of acts that many of its opponents regard as evidence of "corruption". I am generally sympathetic to many of those claims. The question is, do those actions give us the right to try and overthrow the administration with our lawfully-held arms?

(And as I am sure you understand, this is a rhetorical question. As a commissioned officer in the U.S. military, I don't expect you to advocate overthrowing your commander-in-chief on the Internet.)
Old 02-24-2014, 04:46 AM

MT, its fine. I have been off saving Atlanta from the snow.

Will post more detailed response in Tuesday.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
MT, its fine. I have been off saving Atlanta from the snow.
Atlanta has bigger problems than snow these days.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 02-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

It's a thorny issue isn't it. there are over 50,000 people living in the city where I live and work. There are 68 sworn officers with my agency. At any given time there are no more than 12-17 uniformed officers working the streets. This is Idaho. A quiet state, but very gun heavy. Probably as much as Texas ,per capita (is that right?), but we don't advertise like Texas. A safe bet that at least half of the population has one or two firearms in the house. If only 25% of those folks have ammo and know how to shoot I and my fellow officers are wildly outnumbered and outgunned.

But we do our job without that being a concern. Why? Because most of the citizens want us out there. They're busy and the don't have the time or inclination to do the job. So they pay me and my fellow officers to do it. We have the support of the majority of the population. We walk a fine line. Piss everybody off and we're gone - whoosh. Am I afraid of the people? No. Are there individuals in the government who are? Yes. Are there folks who want to participate in an armed insurrection? Yes indeed. And if some of them got in charge they'd make the current crop look like really nice people. Good and bad on both sides.

It's a thorny issue. No easy answers.