imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default IMFDB's problem contributors may not be unique .... ;)

I've been looking at a BUNCH of sites, IMDB is one of them, where on the contributors forum and the Mod's forums, they are constantly in battles with problem 'children' from Russia or Russian speaking contributors.

This is not meant as any offense to any of OUR Russian contributors who seem to follow the rules, but as you all know, we've had our own problems with arrogant newcomers who blast onto the site, mess everything up and have to be banned.

Now anyone with a knowledge of IMFDB's history, knows that the BIGGEST troll / troublemaker was not from Russia but from the U.K.

But we've had plenty of problem posters originating in Russia or who post in cyrillic.

Now I realize that many English language sites (Game related, movie related, car related, guns related, military related, etc.) are all having problems with Russians (usually kids).

I ask this. What is the deal? Why do there seem to be so many troublemakers who originate from Russia? Versus any other country? Note that the 'attacked' sites are all American ones. I don't usually know about foreign sites.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:13 PM

I'm really sorry that such behavior of my compatriots looks woefully. Many problems originate not due to intentional attempts to be rude (though these also exist unfortunately) but due to poor knowledge of English that the young persons try to compensate by loud voice and impudence. I can only hope that you wouldn't judge about all according to some.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:26 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Z View Post
I'm really sorry that such behavior of my compatriots looks woefully. Many problems originate not due to intentional attempts to be rude (though these also exist unfortunately) but due to poor knowledge of English that the young persons try to compensate by loud voice and impudence. I can only hope that you wouldn't judge about all according to some.
I agree with Greg, it's a combination of being dumb kids and the language barrier. Greg has done a fine job putting himself out there and volunteering to deal with them though.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Now anyone with a knowledge of IMFDB's history, knows that the BIGGEST troll / troublemaker was not from Russia but from the U.K.
Now that's a piece of IMFDB history I'd like to know more about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Z View Post
But what exactly would Russian users get out of trolling this site in particular, then? And compensating for their poor knowledge of English via yelling? That's not going to make your vocabulary/grammar/diction any more correct.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:40 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Now that's a piece of IMFDB history I'd like to know more about.
Read this thread in this very same section from a while ago....

http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1845

read it all the way to the last page. It's a part of IMFDB history that was very strange.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:10 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
But what exactly would Russian users get out of trolling this site in particular, then? And compensating for their poor knowledge of English via yelling? That's not going to make your vocabulary/grammar/diction any more correct.
They're NOT trolls. They're over enthusiastic kids with CRAP english skills who bombard sites with often wrong, poorly done, bad English, pages or edits and the Admins have to spend all their time fixing the pages and warning/banning the new users.

I'm a veteran contributor on IMDB and their Admin/Mod boards are constantly complaining about the RUSSIANS (usually teens) who come in, make erroneous changes and fight the Mods about it.

Sure there are some examples of other countries, but they are actually quite rare. There are Tons of real 'hackers' in China for example, but Chinese users don't bombard English speaking sites, trying to fix or create bad pages as a rule. That's not a troll or hacker, but some kid trying to force his way onto an established information site, but his poor English is getting in the way. When he's called out on it, he either gets hostile or he tries to do better.

To me the worst, unfortunately, is the NICE GUY who is relentless in creating and editing crap pages. He tries really hard and is very prolific, but he's not a bad guy. You can't hate on a guy who has good intentions, but is incompetent. That's always the tough one.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Oh wow I remember that guy. We probably shouldn't have been so tolerant of that guy. I forget what is name was, but he was a real pain in the ass.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:12 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Oh wow I remember that guy. We probably shouldn't have been so tolerant of that guy. I forget what is name was, but he was a real pain in the ass.
Hell, he just tried sneaking back in June.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Hell, he just tried sneaking back in June.
wow. just go find somebody else to annoy.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:43 AM

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Call_of_Du..._III#.22MR6.22

This right here is the kind of garbage that bothers me about the site, it seems like only a few weapons are actually real ones and the rest it seems like the author is just simply picking some gun that has a vague resemblance, like the pistol is a "USP Match" because it has a compensator attached to it.