imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-22-2013, 03:08 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Okay Computer Gurus - need your help with Region 2 DVDs

I follow some foreign shows which are NOT sold in the U.S. Some are UK based, some are French.

I know we have foreign members, but I don't want to burden them with asking them to watch a show they may not like. I would like (in my free time of course) to screencap some of the foreign crime shows I like for IMFDB.

How can I play Region 2 (PAL) DVDs and more importantly, I need to be able to screencap them on my APPLE MAC Protower. I don't use a PC (spit on Bill Gates, pstew!)

Help anyone?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I THINK you can only switch the region of a DVD drive five times. I usually don't have to deal with anything other than Region 0 or 1 DVDs though.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

I think some media players can play different regions without changing the coding on the drives firmware, such as VLC. However it will only definitely work on older RPC1 drives though. With newer RPC2 drives it can be that they do not allow any access to the drive at all before a region check so won't work, but there is no way of knowing without trying it. Also if you do try it, it can take a long time for VLC to crack the encryption on the drive, so just try playing the disc and wait.

In terms of changing the coding of the drive back and forth there are programs that allow you to crack this and reset the limit, but i don't know much about them.