imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Gun laws in US

I have to write a letter to a politician debating a topic so naturally I picked guns (Gun violence specifically, the wouldn't let me do Gun Control anymore), could some of the knowledgable users who know these well list them on here to help me out. I'm writting to Joe Biden BTW. He'll never read it but it'll make my demonic teacher happy that I get it done.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I have to write a letter to a politician debating a topic so naturally I picked guns (Gun violence specifically, the wouldn't let me do Gun Control anymore), could some of the knowledgable users who know these well list them on here to help me out. I'm writting to Joe Biden BTW. He'll never read it but it'll make my demonic teacher happy that I get it done.
What exactly are you asking for?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

Bans, limitations, laws passed, laws now expired. I'm not very picky.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:21 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I assume you also mean on the federal level? Because if you want to get into state and local laws, then you're looking at thousands.

There really isn't much I could tell you that the NRA-ILA site and GunCite don't do better, so just check these out:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=63

http://nraila.org/GunLaws/

http://guncite.com/

Last edited by MT2008; 03-09-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 AM
IMFDB Admin

Thanks, these will do just fine. What pisses me off is no one lets you use wikipedia because anonymous users can add wrong info but it is so much easier and usually fine. Being someone who works on a wiki sponsered site, I almost find this insulting.

I can use government sites so these are good.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Bans, limitations, laws passed, laws now expired. I'm not very picky.
Have you got about twenty hours?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Thanks, these will do just fine. What pisses me off is no one lets you use wikipedia because anonymous users can add wrong info but it is so much easier and usually fine. Being someone who works on a wiki sponsered site, I almost find this insulting.

I can use government sites so these are good.
Well, NRA-ILA and Guncite don't qualify as "government"...

Anyway, Wikipedia does have issues. When I used to edit articles on the IRA and the Troubles (the subject of my Honors Thesis), I had to constantly deal with dumbfuck IRA sympathizers who would delete or change anything that they thought portrayed their Gaelic Gods in anything less than flattering language. So you will have people who can't be trusted to be objective and will edit/delete anything they disagree with. But at least you can look at References.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 PM

I agree 100% with wikipedia not being an acceptable source in schools, because its not an acceptable source in the professional world either. Too much bias. I made it through high school and university without using it, and my understanding of the subject matter was enhanced by finding multiple sources with different perspectives. I've got a pretty low view of the whole new media phenomenon, actually. It's great in theory, but people only pay attention to their own pet issues and then there's no hope of getting on objective assessment.

Last edited by Nyles; 03-09-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I agree 100% with wikipedia not being an acceptable source in schools, because its not an acceptable source in the professional world either. Too much bias. I made it through high school and university without using it, and my understanding of the subject matter was enhanced by finding multiple sources with different perspectives. I've got a pretty low view of the whole new media phenomenon, actually. It's great in theory, but people only pay attention to their own pet issues and then there's no hope of getting on objective assessment.
Eh, I dunno about that. You do have to recognize the flaws (which not everyone is capable of doing, sadly), but once you do, "new media" can expose you to stuff that you never would have known before.

One of my pet peeves about our media (and your country's media) and our unversities is how they continually take a liberal apologist perspective of stuff like the savagery of the militant Islamists. Most of what I know about Islam, I learned through "new media", because the bullshit they tried to shove down my throat in college was just obviously not true. Even when I was doing my thesis, my faculty adviser used to tell me I was taking "too negative" a view of the IRA in Northern Ireland by not understanding the circumstances in which they emerged, which apparently somehow justifies their terrorism. So as far as I am concerned, "new media" is the antidote to the leftist bullshit.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-10-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 AM

Wikipedia shouldn't be cited unless its for amusement.