imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Where did you learn you're gun iding skills?

Where is it that you guys learned to tell the difference between guns that look exactly the same? or even guns that are completely identical on the outside but are something else on the inside? Like for example a Norinco type 56 and an AKM? or a HK 416 and a M4 SOPMOD?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugabear View Post
Like for example a Norinco type 56 and an AKM?
Because I own a Type 56. That certainly helps.

Same with Beretta 92Fs vs. Taurus PT92s. Nobody on this site knew the difference between the two guns before I came here (some still don't); I do because I used to own a Taurus.

Other than that, I learned by simply going on the 'net and visiting lots of gun sites. IMFDB itself has certainly educated me, as I'm sure it's educated everyone else. I even had trouble telling Remingtons apart from Mossbergs and Winchesters before I came here.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

I learned from this site.

Use to an AK was an AK to me. The only way I can tell the Type 56 from an AKM is the sights. Type 56 hooded, AKM is not and has slant muzzle brake. But what sucks is they put AKM muzzles brakes on Type 56's sometimes which makes id'ing them more difficult. M16 variants forget it, I don't even try.

The 92FS and PT92 has got me a few times because of not paying attention if it had the slide or frame mounted safety.

Before I joined this site I didn't know about Star Model B doubling for M1911A1 in older films because of the reliability with blanks. Kind of ruins it for you sometimes, bit still good to know.

Last edited by predator20; 03-28-2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-2010, 01:21 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I learned from this site.
Speaking of which, I seriously had no idea how to tell the difference between a Desert Eagle Mark I and a Mark VII before you photographed your own Mark I and posted it here.

Then again, I'm not sure very many other people did, either. There are very few good pictures of the Mark I on the Internet, and some of the ones that are available have been mis-labeled as Mark VIIs (if you go to World Guns, for example, they have a picture of a Mark I but call it a Mark VII).
Old 03-28-2010, 03:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Speaking of which, I seriously had no idea how to tell the difference between a Desert Eagle Mark I and a Mark VII before you photographed your own Mark I and posted it here.

Then again, I'm not sure very many other people did, either. There are very few good pictures of the Mark I on the Internet, and some of the ones that are available have been mis-labeled as Mark VIIs (if you go to World Guns, for example, they have a picture of a Mark I but call it a Mark VII).
Unless you can the see the safety, there's no way to tell. Or if it has rail notches you know it's a Mark XIX. The Mark I's aren't as popular because you have to change the slide also if you want to change calibers. I'd like to find a complete .44 upper.

At world guns they also have a stainless Mark VII mislabeled as Mark XIX, doesn't have the rail notches.

One thing I don't understand why some label them as IMI Desert Eagle and others Magnum Research Desert Eagle. When it's really both.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:48 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I used to learn from all sorts of sites, like wiki, Worldgun.com and this site. And usually asking people who know a lot about guns like my Marines buddies, friends in the police departments, etc

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-28-2010, 05:07 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Unless you can the see the safety, there's no way to tell. Or if it has rail notches you know it's a Mark XIX. The Mark I's aren't as popular because you have to change the slide also if you want to change calibers. I'd like to find a complete .44 upper.
Usually, the safety is visible in a lot of movies. I just didn't know what to look for. Once I saw your picture and compared it to the Mark VII pictures that MPM took, it was pretty clear, once and for all.

Also, does this mean you're keeping your Eagle and not selling? I realize that one gun shop wasn't giving you a good price, but is it still on the market?

Quote:
One thing I don't understand why some label them as IMI Desert Eagle and others Magnum Research Desert Eagle. When it's really both.
I dunno, I always figured whoever manufactures it should carry the name. But then, it seems like most people on this site just say "Desert Eagle" without even specifying the model (the page itself just says "Desert Eagle", and some day, I need to re-organize it by variant).
Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Usually, the safety is visible in a lot of movies. I just didn't know what to look for. Once I saw your picture and compared it to the Mark VII pictures that MPM took, it was pretty clear, once and for all.

Also, does this mean you're keeping your Eagle and not selling? I realize that one gun shop wasn't giving you a good price, but is it still on the market?
I could check other gun shops, but would probably get about the same offers from them. They got to make a profit off it. I would be better off selling to an individual. So for now I'll just keep it. The gun shop that has the SIG P220 I was interested in has a layaway plan. So I could always do that.

Quote:
I dunno, I always figured whoever manufactures it should carry the name. But then, it seems like most people on this site just say "Desert Eagle" without even specifying the model (the page itself just says "Desert Eagle", and some day, I need to re-organize it by variant).
Well Magnum Research designed it and IMI makes them. But IMI is now IWI. There was a period there, I think it was during Mark VII production where they made in the USA I guess by Magnum Research.

You do make a good point about breaking it down by the models. I mean the 1911 page is broke down M1911, M1911A1, series 70 and series 80.

Even though imfdb is not gun encyclopedia, it pretty much turns out that way because of the different model break down this site does.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:49 AM

I do gun research whenever I have free time, it's my hobby. I'm also pretty good at noticing subtle variations in things, so that plus me liking guns sort of manifested this.

I can tell a Taurus from a Beretta pretty easily (it's hard to miss safety placement) but sometimes screenshots or pictures aren't clear so I slip up from time to time. I never knew there was a Mark 1 Desert Eagle before predator20 posted his though, I just saw the world.guns page and assumed the VII and XIX were the only models. Hell I just learned about the barrel cuts in .357 and .44 Models. I guess my attention isn't paid to guns that are popular and not practical heheheh.

All the same if I were a millionaire I'd like to have a .357 MKI in Stainless steel for cool points.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 03-29-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:40 AM

I could tell the difference between an M4 and an HK416 easily for as long as the HK416 has ever existed. Though I'm an AR aficionado, which really helps in that department.

As far as AKs, all that is learned from the great people here at IMFDB, as well as countless hours of staring at MPM's awesome pics on the AK page.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman