imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Voight

Default Pump Action

How can you tell if it's a Mossberg or a Remington?????.....didn't see any differences so far!!!!So,how can you tell what kind of pump Action it is???
Old 11-26-2008, 08:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Several ways.

First off, go to MPM2008's 12 Gauge Pump Action Shotgun page for some help with the reciever and mag tubes.

Now, a Mossberg 500 has kind of a rectangular ejection port, with a visible extraction lever inside the action. Also, a Mossberg 500 has a flat, non removable magazine tube front. It doesn't have an unscrewable cap like an 870.

An 870 has an oval like ejection port with a small hole punched in the front. The action is other-wise smooth and clear.

If either guns have extended magazine tubes, look at the action.

Also, a Winchester Model 1300 has a rectangular ejection port, but it is more rounded than the Mossberg and no extractor levers are seen.

Finally, a Winchester Model 12 has a very similair look as the Model 1300 except you can see how a 12 has a take down method at the end of the magazine tube and that the reciever and barrel can detach from each other with a twist.

If anyone has corrections for this info or is confused, please add your input.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:23 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Finally, a Winchester Model 12 has a very similair look as the Model 1300 except you can see how a 12 has a take down method at the end of the magazine tube and that the reciever and barrel can detach from each other with a twist.
I think you mean a Winchester 1200, not the model 12. The Winchester Model 12 looks like an updated 1897 (the commercial version, not the trench gun). the Model 1200 and 1300 are nearly identical, except for type of manufacture. I will post a pic of both (since I have both) on my next update of the 12 ga shotgun page.