imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I dont know anything about buying body armor, but if you have the money, could you get it legally? or do you have to jump through some hoops like with guns?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I dont know anything about buying body armor, but if you have the money, could you get it legally? or do you have to jump through some hoops like with guns?
It's really, really expensive

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-17-2010, 03:25 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
At one point, I was thinking about buying a vest, not because I need it or expect to use it, but because I thought it might be fun to own. The type I wanted was a Platinum AA301, which is a popular vest worn by cops (it's also the type worn by Benicio Del Toro and Ryan Phillipe's characters in "Way of the Gun", during the final shootout).

I found out that I could buy the vest itself (minus the Spectra Shield A350 plates) online with no problem, the plates if I had no criminal background. Problem is, it would have cost $600, and that was for a used vest. I didn't have that kind of money (this was a few months after I bought my AR-15), and even if I did, I decided that there were better things to spend it on.

Also, I should point out that there are plenty of airsoft retailers that sell vests, but not with real plates. I used to own a Pantac vest with fake (plastic) plates that I got from Red Wolf years ago, which I wore underneath my web gear in skirmishes.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-17-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:00 PM

A place around here sells body armour, but you may have to be a LEO to buy one from them

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-17-2010, 04:37 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Re: the Closer episode,

Maybe the original script laid out how the boys got their equipment, but got cut down due to time or flow. Maybe a lengthy scene explaining the various loops and taxes involved just got edited down to "we bought them at the mall."
Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Re: the Closer episode,

Maybe the original script laid out how the boys got their equipment, but got cut down due to time or flow. Maybe a lengthy scene explaining the various loops and taxes involved just got edited down to "we bought them at the mall."
Or maybe the writer is a dumbass who doesn't know the first thing about guns and body armor

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Also a possibility.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Or maybe the writer is a dumbass who doesn't know the first thing about guns and body armor
Quote:
Also a possibility.
"Possibility"? I'd say it's dead-on.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
"Possibility"? I'd say it's dead-on.
I'm just saying, A) there are many steps from coming up with plot and getting it in front a camera, and B) it's a 44 minute show, explaining the intricacies of federal gun law may mess up the pacing a bit.

And even if it was mere ignorance, it's ignorance, and not some conspiracy against the 2nd Amendment. Besides, I'm shocked, *shocked,* that the mainstream media would spread misinformation about gun ownership.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I'm just saying, A) there are many steps from coming up with plot and getting it in front a camera, and B) it's a 44 minute show, explaining the intricacies of federal gun law may mess up the pacing a bit.

And even if it was mere ignorance, it's ignorance, and not some conspiracy against the 2nd Amendment. Besides, I'm shocked, *shocked,* that the mainstream media would spread misinformation about gun ownership.
Agreed, ignorance is ignorance. I never said it was a conspiracy. I'm not that type of person.