imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-29-2010, 05:03 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Army reveals that the XM25 has been in combat already

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...an/?test=faces

Hmmm, this really surprises me. After all the years of hearing about "awesome" new weapons systems (G11, OICW, XM8, etc.), I've become numb to caring about them. I tend to expect that they won't turn out to be as cost-effective or necessary as the contractor hypes them to be, and that they'll die long before they reach the field.

But if the XM25 has actually been used in combat in Afghanistan, already...wow. It'll be interesting to see whether it proves effective. If so, it means that the OICW program wasn't a complete waste.

EDIT: OK, I exaggerate somewhat...they haven't said specifically that soldiers have been using XM25s to kill Taliban yet, just that the weapons have been issued to combat units on deployment.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-29-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM

I want one

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 11-29-2010, 04:25 PM

That looks like a bit of an improvement over the original OICW prototypes, but I still think the weapon, while sporting impressive capabilities, seems a bit unwieldy to me. Personally, I wouldn't want to haul that in the field.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM

I think its more a weapon theyd carry in their vehicle and deploy if needed, not just haul around all day.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM

I wouldn't want to carry it around either, but it's really not any heavier than an LMG and a pretty significant advantage if it really does what it says on the box.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:40 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I think its more a weapon theyd carry in their vehicle and deploy if needed, not just haul around all day.
It's apparently being used by SF units. How often do SF use vehicles? Those guys do 12-mile runs with over 100 pounds of gear just to pass selection. So I imagine they'd have to lug around their XM25s. Though I would also guess that they'd give them to guys at the remote outposts overlooking hostile territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I wouldn't want to carry it around either, but it's really not any heavier than an LMG and a pretty significant advantage if it really does what it says on the box.
...which is what remains to be seen. And being skeptical of the manufacturer's claims is always a healthy mindset.

But the fact that the Army has enough confidence to start putting XM25s in the field is significant. That's a lot farther than the OICW and XM8 ever got. Also, they're already talking about issuing them to regular infantry and Airborne units, not just SF, in the next year (though we can't be sure they're serious yet).

Last edited by MT2008; 11-29-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I was referring less to its weight and more to its ergonomics. It may weigh the same (or is only slightly heavier) than an M249, but, to me, it looks about as comfortable to shoot as a rifle mounted inside a suitcase. Granted, I could be wrong. I've never held it and likely never will. I'm just saying it looks like an impressive... but awkward... weapon.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Would be awesome if they can miniaturize this thing into near the size of an M203 so it can be mounted on a rifle, because a man who gets to hold the XM-25 might not be able to carry a rifle.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Would be awesome if they can miniaturize this thing into near the size of an M203 so it can be mounted on a rifle, because a man who gets to hold the XM-25 might not be able to carry a rifle.
Sadly, that's not on the horizon anytime soon. The OICW already failed to do this, but even a decade later, the tech isn't compact enough yet.

My big problems are these:

(1.) The XM25 is technically complex, which means more difficult to maintain in the field (most likely).

(2.) It's still friggin' expensive ($35K per unit). Even with the reduced costs of placing a bulk order, there's no way the Army is going to be able to issue these to every combat unit in Afghanistan.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

If the technology in this thing can withstand being shook around, bang around and near explosions.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”