imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 AM

Default Don't you just love......

When a specific motif regarding guns recurs in several movies? I've seen about a million 1911s with hammers down being used to threaten people, when we all know a single action is functionless unless you cock the hammer, or chamber it if it's empty, OR drop it, because sometimes they go off like that too.

Post any recurring gun faux pas or pet peeves of yours with regard to movies.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 AM

Panzerfausts firing rockets, as seen in pretty much every videogame to feature them.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:01 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Speaking of the hammer down to threaten people. Don't forget to add onto that, they like to pull the hammer down to mean they are "serious" right now. Ok what's the point of aiming a gun at someone and after they refuse to your demands, THEN you pull the hammer down.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 PM

The USAF M16 being used by Army soldiers and Marines in 1970s and 1980s Vietnam War movies. That isn't really a pet peeve though.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

1) Guns going *click* instead of locking empty on the last shot.

2) Guns blatantly ignoring their ammunition capacity. It's even worse when it's a revolver...

3) People being thrown off their feet or launched 10 feet across the room when hit by the mighty shotgun, .50 cal, .45 pistol, etc, etc.

4) No recoil. Personal pet peeve.

5) Actors with obviously no gun training manage to kick ass on an endless number of goons, many of which look like they actually do know how to use guns (I'm talking about you Commando!)

6) Just having the main character have poor gun training period.

7) When someone does a mid-mag reload and they drop one mag, load another, and rack the slide despite the round in the chamber. This is shown in The Punisher '04 (we see the brass ejecting too) and in Vantage Point (they don't show brass) I'll be fixing up Vantage Point soon, after I finish with my Leon screencaps. I'll be sure to note this on the page.

8) Horrendous flinching by actors using guns, especially if they're supposed to be badasses with guns. I'll admit, I blink when I'm shooting real rounds, but blanks... no. The anticipation of recoil is what causes the blink, but actors fear the fireball and bang.

9) When actors have poor stances and grips yet shoot better than I do. BS.

10) Bad trigger discipline. How hard is it to remember to not put your finger on the trigger? I'm still in awe of the fact all my friends I'm training still touch the trigger.

11) When so called "SWAT" members are flagging each other with their muzzles, breaching rooms with no tactical plan or anything (it makes it easier for them to all get destroyed I suppose), and handling their weapons like baboons. It's ridiculous.

I can't think of any more, and the 1911 hammer down things is always annoying to see, but the quote I put on the main page for the movie Phonebooth explains that pretty well.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
1)

5) Actors with obviously no gun training manage to kick ass on an endless number of goons, many of which look like they actually do know how to use guns (I'm talking about you Commando!)
Commando is one of the greatest movies of all time because of that. It is completely ridiculous in every aspect.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
IMFDB Admin

Pretty much every annoyance known to film is seen in Commando, including just about all the ones I mentioned.

But it is still a great film in how ridiculous it is.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 PM

Cool

Any kind of RPG, espescially the RPG-7 being fired and you see a the rocket flying slowly towards a target. Believe me, you don't. Also, firing RPGs indoors. The back blast would cook you.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 PM

How fast does the RPG fly?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Fast just enough for you to dodge if you see it coming.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”