imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 03-02-2009, 06:32 AM

As far as that FG42 goes a Friend of mine once saw one back east. According to him theres only about half a dozen here in the US.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
What, didn't you see the picture of the one that MoviePropMaster photographed for us, that now serves as our standard Stg image?
Yeah, I remember MPM saying he's been looking for one for a while.
Not every gun I photograph is blank adapted. Some of them I photographed just because they were available. the StG-44 and the FG-42 are NOT blank adapted. Nor would I unless I was compelled to do so for a very good life or death reason

Also, I am differentiating between blank fire and completely inactive. Those Berettas used in Underworld now have IRON pins welded in THREE PLACES on the frame itself. Movie blank adapted pistols don't do that. In fact give us a new barrel and slide and we're back in business. I also don't consider a blank adapted live gun 'destroyed' since it can be used for movie use some other day. But many of these guns are rendered inoperable completely. The FRAME isn't destroyed in the U.S., but quite a few of the Hero guns over there in England ARE destroyed. Hopefully folks understand what I'm talking about
Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
As far as that FG42 goes a Friend of mine once saw one back east. According to him theres only about half a dozen here in the US.

There are a lot more than a half a dozen FG42's in the US. Kent LaMont has had a lot of them through his dealership over the years. A real rare weapon is a Vickers GO only about 5 in the US. It's above the FG42 and Villar-Perosa on it's rarity.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
There are a lot more than a half a dozen FG42's in the US. Kent LaMont has had a lot of them through his dealership over the years. A real rare weapon is a Vickers GO only about 5 in the US. It's above the FG42 and Villar-Perosa on it's rarity.
The Vickers Gas Operated guns are cool. I wonder if the UK Armorers have any. I sure hope they don't weld those shut someday, but we're talking about the UK here.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:25 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
The Vickers Gas Operated guns are cool. I wonder if the UK Armorers have any. I sure hope they don't weld those shut someday, but we're talking about the UK here.
I read somewhere that they might have to turn in their deactivated guns also. I will have to check my Military Vehicle magazine to verify.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:20 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Not every gun I photograph is blank adapted. Some of them I photographed just because they were available. the StG-44 and the FG-42 are NOT blank adapted. Nor would I unless I was compelled to do so for a very good life or death reason
Ah, gotcha.

Quote:
Also, I am differentiating between blank fire and completely inactive. Those Berettas used in Underworld now have IRON pins welded in THREE PLACES on the frame itself. Movie blank adapted pistols don't do that. In fact give us a new barrel and slide and we're back in business. I also don't consider a blank adapted live gun 'destroyed' since it can be used for movie use some other day. But many of these guns are rendered inoperable completely. The FRAME isn't destroyed in the U.S., but quite a few of the Hero guns over there in England ARE destroyed. Hopefully folks understand what I'm talking about
Yeah, understandable. Though certainly, destroying the frame and slide is pretty expensive. I would shudder to do it on something for which no replacement parts are easily available.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Ah, gotcha.Yeah, understandable. Though certainly, destroying the frame and slide is pretty expensive. I would shudder to do it on something for which no replacement parts are easily available.
I think you mean ''Barrel'' and slide. We don't destroy our frames in the movie business here in the states, unless we are specifically creating a non-functional dummy gun from a real one.

I've welded up some damaged live guns before, some of them were (slightly) crushed either by a vehicle or a falling tree in their past lives and were not safe to fire live rounds out of ever again. I had an M1911A1 that was run over by a armored vehicle on a dirt road in years ago, and the frame had mini cracks and was slightly crushed so that it would not take milspec replacement parts any more. It was not safe to fire either live or blank rounds (actually it wouldn't function period), so I welded the crap out of it and made a dummy gun. Of course that was back in the 1980s when ATF wasn't changing the 'definition' of De-wat every six months either.

But would I destroy the frame of an operable weapon? Uh, hell no. But apparently the poor bastards in the Politically Correct UK don't even have de-wats or replicas to play with any more....
Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 AM
IMFDB Admin

When you buy guns, the FRAME is what counts. When you buy a frame, you have to register it as a firearm. If cops found a barrel or slide in your pocket, they'd be suspicious or just let you go. If you have a frame, you need some papers. This cop I knew in NYC (he's a dickhead BTW) caught a guy with a Beretta frame and he was arrested. Sent me some photos. I'll try to find them.

Anyway, I'm assuming these laws also factor in you changing the slide or no?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
When you buy guns, the FRAME is what counts. When you buy a frame, you have to register it as a firearm. If cops found a barrel or slide in your pocket, they'd be suspicious or just let you go. If you have a frame, you need some papers. This cop I knew in NYC (he's a dickhead BTW) caught a guy with a Beretta frame and he was arrested. Sent me some photos. I'll try to find them.

Anyway, I'm assuming these laws also factor in you changing the slide or no?
Heh? What do you mean? The blank adapted guns are live real guns in the eyes of the law, so there is no law to us swapping out an un blank adapted barrel and slide out and putting a factory barrel and slide back in and selling it just like any other firearm. ATF considers EVERYTHING a live firearm except (specifically de-watted firearms or those blocked barrel "Blank Only" theatrical guns sold through mail order catalogs or the Internet). So I'm not sure what you are referring to

Also NYC is another planet when it comes to idiotic gun control laws. NYC almost makes California look like TEXAS when it comes to draconian gun laws .....
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 AM
IMFDB Admin

I wasn't sure about the rules with blank converted guns but what I was saying is that if you buy a pistol frame, it has to be registered or it is illegal to own, yet owning a barrel or slide doesn't require registration. If this is wrong, blame the guy who told me this.