imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Why I'm in a bad mood so often - No 2

I have not seen the commercial yet, but I helped with one of the Red Robin commercials (vendor) with the man trying to entice the 'Coldstream Guard' into breaking his code of silence by saying "Yum" in front of Buckingham Palace.

Since it was MODERN British army, I offered a High end L85 airsoft with the correct sling and rainguard for the Coldstream guard. The Art director's assistant looked at me like I was a moron.

No, the director WON'T like this, she said. I countered that it was CORRECT. I pointed out that she should look at the movie "Patriot Games" or see any current photos of the Palace guards to see what weapons they carry. For ceremonial purposes, I can see them holding 'prettied up' versions of the Enfield. So I offered a Lee Enfield with a white parade strap.

A few days later, I got the word that one of the Art director assistants used Her grandfather's M1 Garand, since "that is what they used" .........

So I'm sitting there and saying "Hey, show me ONE photograph where a British Army officer or enlisted man is holding an M1 Garand".

After the gig is over and I lost the argument, the girl shows me a Black and white photo and says "Here, see you were wrong"..... the photo is of an AMERICAN soldier in 1939 (before the war) with a doughboy helmet, an M1903 Springfield rifle and cold weather greatcoat and 10 pocket ammo belt. It's not a British soldier at all........

So if you see a Red Robin television commercial where the Brit is carrying an American M1 Garand rifle, that could be the one I tried to offer advice on. I've heard someone say they saw it. I haven't though, so I don't know if they used a Garand or not.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM

I've seen (well, more like listened to as background noise) that commercial, but I didn't really pay attention to the rifle. Will next time, though.

Edit: Google actually brought up this topic right here that you made about it on this very site, with AdAdstra linking to the commercial.

http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1141

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman

Last edited by Spartan198; 09-24-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM

I'm going to ignore the fact that his uniform has only a passing resemblance to what you see actual Guardsmen wearing.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I've seen (well, more like listened to as background noise) that commercial, but I didn't really pay attention to the rifle. Will next time, though.

Edit: Google actually brought up this topic right here that you made about it on this very site, with AdAdstra linking to the commercial.
http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1141
I thought there had been something about this a while back, but I wasn't completely sure

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wierd It View Post
I'm going to ignore the fact that his uniform has only a passing resemblance to what you see actual Guardsmen wearing.
To be honest, the fact that the uniform and everything else is so off actually makes me feel better about it. They clearly but no effort into anything rather than just buggering up the weapons specifically. Also, the advert generally makes no sense as it is based on brand recognition for something that doesn't exist in Britain.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

Holy crap. Well let me clarify, the art director who lectured me, did so THIS SUMMER. So she's working on a brand new commercial not that old one. LOL.

Sorry, if I'm caused any confusion. I assumed it was for yet another commercial where they go YUM. Her major client is the ad agency for Red Robin and I assumed it WAS for a Red Robin commercial. That image must have stuck in my mind. I was never on the set for the commercial this summer so I actually don't know what they did. My 'argument' with the art director didn't really go past the 'what correct rifle to use' phase. She claims did use another Garand for something the agency did recently, so I was wrong for assuming it was that one. Ooops.

So when I heard of it again, I thought it was a new commercial. Sorry chaps. I should never post while exhausted.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM

Heh. Now I am in a bad mood, but for a different reason.
First, I hate it when people tell me they'll help sourcing stuff and disappear into thin air (and forget keeping their promises). Two different guys offered to loan their P90s to me (I don't own one since I'm not a big fan of the P90, and it's a bitch to reload), both are keeping shtum since a week. I wanted to borrow a CAW Revolver Launcher too, because it's so impractical nobody's going to use it at an actual airsoft skirmish. What does the guy say? "Sorry, I have a weekender, I'll be needing that." Lying bastard. A M249? Okay, so he has a weekender, he'll be needing that so I'm not even asking. Thank god a friend of mine is a stand-up guy and borrowed me his L86 with an ELCAN in advance, so I have something besides a shotgun, a Muzzelite and a pile of pistols.
I hope someone brings something more futuristic than that to the photoshoot, we can't do a Cyberpunk with only a Muzzelite, an USP and a L86.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM

Alas I tossed the P90 shell I had years ago. I had gotten it from a friend so I could practice my spray painting skills before I did a real firearm. If I still had it I would have gladly sent you it possibly with some Cyberpunk mods. Then again I run cyberpunk games that are more High tech gutter trash than Poylmers and carbon fiber. Think about what dregs on the edges of a Bleeding edge tech corporate arcology would carry.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Mike View Post
Heh. Now I am in a bad mood, but for a different reason.
First, I hate it when people tell me they'll help sourcing stuff and disappear into thin air (and forget keeping their promises). Two different guys offered to loan their P90s to me (I don't own one since I'm not a big fan of the P90, and it's a bitch to reload), both are keeping shtum since a week. I wanted to borrow a CAW Revolver Launcher too, because it's so impractical nobody's going to use it at an actual airsoft skirmish. What does the guy say? "Sorry, I have a weekender, I'll be needing that." Lying bastard. A M249? Okay, so he has a weekender, he'll be needing that so I'm not even asking. Thank god a friend of mine is a stand-up guy and borrowed me his L86 with an ELCAN in advance, so I have something besides a shotgun, a Muzzelite and a pile of pistols.
I hope someone brings something more futuristic than that to the photoshoot, we can't do a Cyberpunk with only a Muzzelite, an USP and a L86.

So you're doing a photo shoot? And needed someone to loan you Airsoft guns as props? Sorry, but it was kinda HARD to glean that bit of info from your post. ;D
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
So you're doing a photo shoot? And needed someone to loan you Airsoft guns as props? Sorry, but it was kinda HARD to glean that bit of info from your post. ;D
Yes and yes. Sorry, I'm a little chaotic sometimes, especially when I get upset. To be precise, a hobby group I belong to is doing a photoshoot, and I'm pretty much their armorer - sure, some folks can bring an airsoft gun or two because they happen to own one for an occasional game, but I own a lot of the stuff.

Good quality airsoft guns make great props, mostly because it's hard to tell them from the real deal. Unless someone sleeps on the job (I saw a couple of cases, mostly in the local TV) or camera catches something incriminating (like hi-cap magazine winding wheels, gas fill valves or odd trademarks), that is.