imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 02-15-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wingo View Post
Yeah, good point. Maybe just a regular compound bow.
Thank you

Quote:
Between the end of the movie and the start of the fanfic, she went back to the cabin to retrieve whatever personal effects remained there.
Makes sense

Quote:
Not necessarily. In a deleted scene on the DVD, Hanna is shown to receive postcards from them, so presumably Marissa let them go after they were interrogated.
Didn't know that

Quote:
Let me explain the concept of a black market to you. When a good or service is highly in demand but the legitimate market is made illegal, certain enterprising individuals find ways to get them and then sell them to the people who want them at prices reflecting the availability and risk of obtaining said good or service. One of the benefits of purchasing firearms from such individuals is that they don't care whether or not you are allowed by law to own firearms, they will sell them to you as long as you can meet their price.
I do understand the concept of the black market.

Quote:
I've never seen that show.
You should check it out, it's good. First season at least, second got bogged down in ancient-conspiracy nonsense.

Quote:
True, IRL it's only really used to get your enemy to hunker down while you get into position, but I'd still like Hanna to have weapons that are select-fire.
Hey, it's your story.

Quote:
All of the consequences and legalities you mentioned are entirely dependent upon one thing: Getting caught. NYC is an enormous city with over 8 million people, a good 80% of which are unlikely to talk to or even call the police for anything less than a full-scale riot or gang war. Considering Hanna's MO of striking quickly at her targets and then vanishing into the night, the chances of this are pretty low.
Part of my concern is simply my being a law-abiding gun nut. The rest is the fact that there are plenty of surveillance cameras, albeit not enough to cover the city. And people are not that apathetic. Pistols in the alley at 1AM will get you an overworked detective and zero interest. Machine-gun fire gets people interested and brings in the FBI and ATF.

BTW, where did she get tactical training? Her father taught her wilderness survival, but being skilled with firearms and urban combat is a very different thing. She'd be fine if you dropped her in Siberia. Fighting trained and well-equipped bad guys if vastly different than fighting a couple tracksuited mooks in the film.

I'm still vastly over-thinking stuff, aren't I?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
You should check it out, it's good. First season at least, second got bogged down in ancient-conspiracy nonsense.
Will do.

Quote:
Part of my concern is simply my being a law-abiding gun nut. The rest is the fact that there are plenty of surveillance cameras, albeit not enough to cover the city. And people are not that apathetic. Pistols in the alley at 1AM will get you an overworked detective and zero interest. Machine-gun fire gets people interested and brings in the FBI and ATF.
All the cameras will be able to catch is a thin person wearing black combat fatigues and a motorcycle helmet that completely obscures their face and rides a Kawasaki Ninja with no license plates.

Quote:
BTW, where did she get tactical training? Her father taught her wilderness survival, but being skilled with firearms and urban combat is a very different thing. She'd be fine if you dropped her in Siberia. Fighting trained and well-equipped bad guys if vastly different than fighting a couple tracksuited mooks in the film.
It was mentioned in the movie that Erik was an FSK operative (Russian Intelligence post-KGB and pre-FSB), so he would have had some degree of military training. In my fanfic world, I plan to have him originally have been a member of the GSG 9 (German elite counter-terrorism unit), who went on to do freelance work for the Russians and then the US. GSG 9 operatives receive training from Hong Kong's Special Duties Unit, Spain's Special Group of Operations, Malaysia's Special Actions Unit, and the US SWAT, so he'd certainly be equipped to teach Hanna about urban warfare.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Will do.
Just for some general info: Max is a genetically engineered fetus born by a surrogate mother. She's enhanced with feline DNA, so in addition to the usual super-soldier strength/memory/endurance/healing/peak human stuff she can see in the dark and jump very high. The downside is that she's got a bar code on the back of her neck that's like part of her DNA or something so she can't loose it. More worryingly, she can't produce enough serotonin, so she needs to get it from pills or drinking milk. Otherwise she gets seizures and might die. The feline DNA also means that she goes into heat thrice a year and starts looking for a guy to have sex with. Did I mention she's normally lesbian?
As an added bonus her blood can heal other injured persons, kind of like Claire on Heros.

Quote:
All the cameras will be able to catch is a thin person wearing black combat fatigues and a motorcycle helmet that completely obscures their face and rides a Kawasaki Ninja with no license plates.
Tell you what, I'll stop worrying about the legal aspects of this and just concentrate on the guns.

Quote:
It was mentioned in the movie that Erik was an FSK operative (Russian Intelligence post-KGB and pre-FSB), so he would have had some degree of military training. In my fanfic world, I plan to have him originally have been a member of the GSG 9 (German elite counter-terrorism unit), who went on to do freelance work for the Russians and then the US. GSG 9 operatives receive training from Hong Kong's Special Duties Unit, Spain's Special Group of Operations, Malaysia's Special Actions Unit, and the US SWAT, so he'd certainly be equipped to teach Hanna about urban warfare.
I can buy that. She probably read everything non-classified on urban warfare as well.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Just for some general info: Max is a genetically engineered fetus born by a surrogate mother. She's enhanced with feline DNA, so in addition to the usual super-soldier strength/memory/endurance/healing/peak human stuff she can see in the dark and jump very high. The downside is that she's got a bar code on the back of her neck that's like part of her DNA or something so she can't loose it. More worryingly, she can't produce enough serotonin, so she needs to get it from pills or drinking milk. Otherwise she gets seizures and might die. The feline DNA also means that she goes into heat thrice a year and starts looking for a guy to have sex with. Did I mention she's normally lesbian?
As an added bonus her blood can heal other injured persons, kind of like Claire on Heros.
Hanna's enhancements are a little more basic. I figured that she'd have more rod cells and fewer cone cells in her eyes, increasing her visual acuity and ability to see contrast (making her better able to see through optical illusions like camoflage, two-way mirrors, etc.), increased musculature in and around her eyeballs (allowing her to adjust the focal length in her eyes to take more accurate shots), and an enhanced metabolism (giving her greater-than-normal strength, endurance, and reflexes).
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 AM

Default Update 3

After considerable discussion, I've made quite a few changes, and I think I've narrowed it down to guns that will not be too big for the protagonist, are chambered in fairly easy to acquire ammunition, and not too difficult to acquire replacement parts for.

Assault Rifle: Ruger Mini-14 GB-F

Shotgun: Mossberg 500 JIC II (with custom-made, detachable M4-type stock and trigger disconnector removed).

Handgun: duel Glock 19s (one in a shoulder holster, one on the hip).

Submachine Gun: Heckler & Koch MP5SD6 (suppressor baffles reinforced to allow prolonged full-auto fire without risking damage).

Backup Gun: Walther PPS (9mm chambering).

Bladed Weapons: folding Emerson Karambit, Glock Survival Knife 81, Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Smatchet.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 AM

Default To answer an old question

Hanna got to New York from Europe with help from the CIA. Between the movie and my fic, she was approached at her cabin by a member of the more "white hat" elements of the CIA, who felt that they owed her for not only taking out a rogue agent (Marissa) but for helping to eliminate everyone who knew about Project Galinka, which could have caused a public relations catastrophe.

Hanna asked for a legal identity, enough money to get by on until she could support herself, and to be left alone by the CIA for the rest of her life. She chose New York because, having read about it in Erik's books, she liked the idea of a city where she could be around people and disappear into anonymity at the same time.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Hanna got to New York from Europe with help from the CIA. Between the movie and my fic, she was approached at her cabin by a member of the more "white hat" elements of the CIA, who felt that they owed her for not only taking out a rogue agent (Marissa) but for helping to eliminate everyone who knew about Project Galinka, which could have caused a public relations catastrophe.

Hanna asked for a legal identity, enough money to get by on until she could support herself, and to be left alone by the CIA for the rest of her life. She chose New York because, having read about it in Erik's books, she liked the idea of a city where she could be around people and disappear into anonymity at the same time.
Seems good. Though I'd make it clear she doesn't fully trust the CIA and has multiple back-up/escape plans just in case. Also, why the Mini-14 instead of an AR-15? It's much rarer, with parts and magazines correspondingly scarce. If you want it due to the side-folding stock, you might check out the HK416C carbine with the much shorter stock. Or the Z-M LR300. There's got to be several ARs with side-fold stocks.
Here's some links: http://www.rbprecision.com/id51.htm
http://www.impactguns.com/rock-river...ne-lr1297.aspx

Why'd you switch to a Mossberg rather than a Remington for the shotgun?
FYI, check out the pictures of Lyndsy Fonseca with the Bennelli Nova on the Nikita Season 2 page. She about 1-2 inches shorter than Saoirse Ronan, who played Hanna.

I might give her a Kel-Tec PMR-30 as a car/motorcycle gun. 30 rounds of .22 Magnum is nice when you're trying to drive and shoot. It's no elephant gun, but it can still kill. You could always make it full-auto.

The CIA can do one better than giving her a new identity. They can make her a US citizen. In 1949, Congress passed the so-called 100 Persons Act, allowing the CIA to make 100 aliens a year US Citizens. That's what she wants. Thank you, Tom Clancy!

Wait a second, if she's not fighting the CIA, who is she fighting? 17 ounce soft drinks?

Last edited by Mandolin; 02-19-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Seems good. Though I'd make it clear she doesn't fully trust the CIA and has multiple back-up/escape plans just in case. Also, why the Mini-14 instead of an AR-15? It's much rarer, with parts and magazines correspondingly scarce. If you want it due to the side-folding stock, you might check out the HK416C carbine with the much shorter stock. Or the Z-M LR300. There's got to be several ARs with side-fold stocks.
Yeah, but you can't walk into a normal gun shop and buy a HK416C or Z-M LR300 like you can (well, could up until recently) the Mini-14, so I guess it was chosen because it is relatively easy to acquire

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Yeah, but you can't walk into a normal gun shop and buy a HK416C or Z-M LR300 like you can (well, could up until recently) the Mini-14, so I guess it was chosen because it is relatively easy to acquire
She's buying full-auto off the black market, normal gun shop is not where she's going.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Seems good. Though I'd make it clear she doesn't fully trust the CIA and has multiple back-up/escape plans just in case.
Definitely. She'll have a few "off-the-grid" hidey-holes in various parts of the city.

Quote:
Also, why the Mini-14 instead of an AR-15? It's much rarer, with parts and magazines correspondingly scarce. If you want it due to the side-folding stock, you might check out the HK416C carbine with the much shorter stock. Or the Z-M LR300. There's got to be several ARs with side-fold stocks.
Here's some links: http://www.rbprecision.com/id51.htm
http://www.impactguns.com/rock-river...ne-lr1297.aspx
I'm just gonna level with you, I don't LIKE the AR-15/M16 variants. They just don't click with my sense of aesthetics. If it's my only option, I'll take it, but if I can find something that does the job just as well or better, I'll go for that first.

Speaking of, I'm thinking about revisiting my first choice, the LWRC M6A2 PSD in 6.8 Remington SPC. I know the 6.8 hasn't seen much in the way of military use (excepting the Jordanian Army), but I've spoken to a lot of hunters and they all agree that they prefer it over the .223 Remington. Plenty of manufacturers make assault rifles chambered for the 6.8, so it won't be that hard to acquire. And the PSD fulfills all of Hanna's needs.

Quote:
Why'd you switch to a Mossberg rather than a Remington for the shotgun?
FYI, check out the pictures of Lyndsy Fonseca with the Benelli Nova on the Nikita Season 2 page. She about 1-2 inches shorter than Saoirse Ronan, who played Hanna.
The Mossberg JIC's 6+1 capacity seemed a better choice than the Remington WP's 4+1, coupled with the fact that you can attach a stock to it.

Quote:
The CIA can do one better than giving her a new identity. They can make her a US citizen. In 1949, Congress passed the so-called 100 Persons Act, allowing the CIA to make 100 aliens a year US Citizens. That's what she wants. Thank you, Tom Clancy!

Wait a second, if she's not fighting the CIA, who is she fighting? 17 ounce soft drinks?
I figured that I'd have them smooth things over at Immigration by falsifying Erik's background to say that he was a naturalized citizen at the time of Hanna's birth, making Hanna a citizen by jus sanguinis. A forged birth certificate later, and her cover is complete.

I plan to have Hanna try to live a peaceful life in New York, but seeing crime happen without punishment, coupled with the stress of life in a big city, causes her killing instincts to come out and drive her to vigilantism.

Tags
armory, fanfiction, hanna