imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM

Default Horrible gun mistakes/ malfunctions you have witnessed

Lets talk about mistakes and malfunctions you have personally experienced or witnessed. This includes breakages, destruction of the gun, kB's, people ruining guns and other things of that nature.

Let me start it off: My friend's brand new Marlin .22 automatic was messed up within an hour or 2 of him owning it when his grandfather tried to jam a .22 Magnum down the barrel and they had to go to a gunsmith to get it out

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 11-09-2010, 03:44 AM

My friend bought a pre 1982 S&W Model 65-1 revolver in .357 Magnum. During a range trip at our spot in the outskirts of town, he was firing it with different types of defensive and range ammo, and after one of the shots, the whole gun locked up, and the trigger and hammer wouldn't move. When we got back home after the trip, I grabbed a small screwdriver to pop the side plate off and see if anything had broken inside. I took it off and the hammer block had just come loose out of it's slot in the side plate, and so I placed the block back in correctly and arranged everything inside how it needed to be, screwed the plate back on and it was working fine after that. He's fired more than 200 rounds out of it since and it hasn't had any problems.

While this isn't a kb or something catastrophic, we're talking about a quality revolver failing indefinitely with no chance of fixing during a gunfight. It's something that can get you killed and, again, it was a revolver of all things.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 AM

My father used to have a Ruger P90 that randomly fired in 3 round burst. You never knew when it was going to happen, but it happened at least once every 3 mags. I can't remember if he sold it or sent it back to Ruger though

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 11-09-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 PM

Anybody else want to share any stories? I know ya'll have some

Old 11-11-2010, 05:39 PM

Nothing more than the typical "friend tries out my Hunting Rifle and gets a nasty case of scope-eye"

Pretty nasty though, looked like he got hit over the head with a lead pipe...soooooo much blood.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 PM

I've had more then one customer come into the store with a destroyed shotgun barrel...they thought they could shot a fish with it and put the barrel in the cold water and pulled the trigger...made a flower peddle out of the front of the barrel.

Last edited by Spades of Columbia; 11-11-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 PM

Yesterday I had a guy come into the store wondering why he couldn't sight in his Savage 111FCXP3. The scope was actually rattling around inside the rings. He then asked for 2 3/4" 12 gauge BBs, and only after I told him we didn't have any did he say "Oh, do you have any 2 1/2" shells? Apparently thats what the gun is actually chambered for."
Old 11-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Yesterday I had a guy come into the store wondering why he couldn't sight in his Savage 111FCXP3. The scope was actually rattling around inside the rings. He then asked for 2 3/4" 12 gauge BBs, and only after I told him we didn't have any did he say "Oh, do you have any 2 1/2" shells? Apparently thats what the gun is actually chambered for."
Scope problem customers are the worst...we actually had a guy with glued on bases on a old mauser and wondered why it didnt hold zero
Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 AM

"My rifle shoots 8" high at 25 yards and it won't adjust! I clicked it like 12 times and it barely moved!"
"Sir, it takes 16 clicks to move an inch at 25 yards. You need to move it about 130 clicks."
Old 11-12-2010, 11:15 AM

My friend broke my father's M1 Carbine after running 3 30 round mags though it, using the mag as a monopod