imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Even if we buy that men have a natural instinct to defend women (plausible), can they be trained to suppress it? Being in the military requires people to suppress many natural instincts (namely, self-preservation) - why not this one?
See, here is where I disagree.

I'm of the mindset of Colonel Cooper, that man, instinctively, likes to fight. He wants to prove that he is superior. He wants to dominate. He wants to come out on top. He wants to beat other men who are well armed, well led, and well motivated. That's his natural instinct. The Army merely digs it out from the politically correct brainwashing he underwent through years of public schooling.

And I may be way, way off base. I'm simply speaking for myself and my squad of Georgia Army National Guardsman. Hell, we might have liked to fight because we were too dumb to know better.

And I feel that the natural instinct to protect women is as deeply ingrained as the instinct to fight.

I'm not anti-women in the military, I'm anti-women in combat MOSs.