imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 07-03-2009, 05:40 AM

I just saw it, very good movie.
It's probably going to be one of my favorites.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Comments will be minor spoilers ish

Yeah what about the train robbery? Did he ever do that one in real life?

He entered the Chicago police station into the room that was solely for him and looked at pictures of himself, his gang and everything. What was the point of all that? I thought he had a master plan about it.

Also isn't the .38 super pistol was Dillenger's gun used by him? We shoulda saw more of that in the movie instead of Nelson.

Also too bad we didn't get to see him use the Remington rifle

Also accurately enough, they called the FBI just Buearu of Investigations, at the time, it wasn't a "Federal" agency yet as it is today. I think it turned into the FBI in 1936

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 07-03-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

I don't know about the train robbery. Seems a little far fetched. But then again, Dillinger didn't have any association with Frank Nitti or Chicago crime sindicates under the work of Al Capone, so I don't think any of that stuff was real.

When he entered the police station, I think it was just to show how mocking Dillinger is. I mean, he waltz into the police station where there is "The Dillinger Squad" all working hard to find him, and there he is, and they don't recognize him! I mean, he even asks the score the baseball game so all the guys working see him! I doubt he did this in real life but it added to Dillinger's character.

I was very disappointed by the fact Dillinger never used his .38 Super machine pistol. I was glad they at least put it in the movie though. Shame that pyscho Nelson was he only one who used it though.

I was pleased to see Dillinger used his Thompson accurate to history, using a sling wrapped around his shoulder as opposed to the stock and only using 20-round magazines. Made it easier to conceal and he could carry more sticks than drums.

I don't know if they could even fire the Remington Model 8 without making custom (IE time consuming and expensive) blanks, since that gun was in all sorts of oddball calibers like .35 Rem.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:33 PM

.35 remington is quite common, i see lots of it on shelves. Barely see any 38 sper though. And of course, .351 winchester is never seen.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:11 PM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

Dillinger would go to the chicago police dept, and to different stations across the country because he got a kick out of it. He often changed his look though, and remember a lot of cops back then were not even high school educated. They gave the jobs to anyone big and strong, and in those days nobody turned the jobs down as it was the depression. Cops in 1933 are not like cops in 2009.

Also, Dillinger's gang robbed 2 or 3 police stations to steal guns.

In Chicago, Dillinger used the name of another criminal who was a dead ringer for him too, they looked very much alike. I can't remember the fellows name. Jimmy something or other. The other guy could never pull off Dillinger, but there was a big conspiracy about it when they gunned him down, that it was the other guy, not Dillinger, that Purvis and the FBI had screwed up again.

He used Capone/mob armorers. He was never in the mob, but he used their resources when he needed too. He was famous, so they liked having him around. He was like a rock star. And he payed his own way with that stuff too. he payed them well.

I saw the film this weekend, and I absolutely loved it. It was not particularly accurate in some ways, but it was amazingly accurate in some of the best ways. The ending was pretty amazing, even though the very, very end of it was pure fantasy, it put an emotional exclamation point on the film that I thought really worked.

There is an HBO documentary/behind the scenes playing, and there are some really great books about Dillinger that Mann obviously read as research.

Other than not having him change his look, and they truncated some timeframe stuff, it was probably the most accurate portrayal of the Dillinger story I've seen.

If you get a chance to see that jailhouse interview/reel, they did an excellent job of recreating that. The flares. The airplanes of the time. The weapons used. I'm not sure Dillinger ever used that 38 super himself. It was part of his gang's arsenal.

Last edited by ShootingJames; 07-03-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:16 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I lived near Crown Point, so I got a chance to see that jail house he escaped in and my buddy actually got to meet Johnny Dep. The guy's kinda shy in real life.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-05-2009, 10:22 PM

Went offbase and saw it today, was awesome, but not overly tre to history. None of the gang died at little bohemia. But it was an AWESOME movie gunfight.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 AM

i thought it was pretty cool because they filmed it where i go to school. I was laughing my ass off and i told the guy next to me that they were shooting up my town. lol