imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Revolver vs Semi

I know this is an age old debate, but I want everyone's opinion.

I carry a Glock 19 and it does the job. I don't mind revolvers, in fact, they have a coolness about them, but I don't consider them to be a good modern carry option for the reasons of capacity, reloading, trigger pull, etc.

I would use a revolver and keep one in my safe but it isn't the first thing I grab.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-30-2014, 03:14 AM

Semi, just because I am more confident in my skill with one than I am with a revolver, partly because I am left-handed and take waaaay longer to reload a revolver than a right-handed person of equal skill probably could

I still like revolvers, though, I just wouldn't use them in a life-or-death situation if given a choice

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 03-30-2014, 08:50 PM

The only niches where a revolver is as good or better than an auto are in the extremes, like microcarry and hunting rigs.

When you get down to micro carry guns, most of the problems with revolvers become moot. The recoil of a .38 Special J frame (alloy or all steel) is similar to the felt recoil by slim 9mm or .380 pocket pistols, and with proper loads, the effectiveness of the .38 is roughly on par. .357s are also an option, but at the cost of the worst possible recoil. Capacity is also nerfed in the autos making the difference all but 2 rounds in most cases. The weight difference between snubs and micro autos of equal size and material is negligible at best. The difference in the quality of sights (those lovely, shitty J frame trench sights) is half the time not there (like with the LCP/LC9), and half the time immaterial, as these guns are not designed for true handgun combat range. The expectation for them to perform at that range is unrealistic, and if they can, it should be considered a luxury (and the individual who can make those shots, a damn good shooter). The revolver will also have a far better chance of being dead nuts reliable over the auto, as smaller guns operate at higher pressures with tighter springs, upping the chance that they will be more finicky. I suppose autos may have lighter triggers, but even with the weight, a smooth double action revolver trigger is far better suited for affirmative shooting, as the break point and reset are easy to determine. And if you know a gunsmith in your area, he's not worth his salt if he can't slick up a revolver trigger, something that every gunsmith ever has know how to do for decades. The only real advantage that autos have over revolvers are the reloads, as button release mags will always be faster than speedloaders (or those silly speed strips people insist on carrying). The philosophy behind the pocket gun, though is having the bare minimum gun you can, and so foregoing reloadability is just part of the creed. Reloading tiny single stack mags is a blunder compared to using full size double stack mags. It's a gray area within a gray area really. The point is, when you get down to this small size, revolvers are highly viable, if not preferred.

As for hunting, there are only a few options in this arena for autos (like the Desert Eagle). The bigger cartridges produce more pressure, which revolvers are able to take (if built right), while autos can't. This is not only due to the chamber pressures and internal issues, but the cycling as well. You need a strong locking mechanism and excellent recoil springs to handle those kinds of pressures, which is why the Desert Eagle has a rotating bolt and dual recoil springs. You're always going to get more energy out of the revolver too, as no energy is being tapped off for cycling. An auto will be easier to reload, and take many more rounds, but again, in the hunting niche, these are not primary concerns. If you need a fast reload, it's because you're a crappy shot and you can't take your prey down with what you have. Work on that before upping your load to 8 instead of 5, or use a rifle. And of course, a good revolver trigger beats any auto trigger, in single or double action modes.

To get back to the original question, though, revolvers are only adequate or superior in niches where the advantages of autos (capacity, sights, trigger and reload ease) are not a factor, and in the micro and hunting niches, these factors are a non issue, or at the very least, not as pertinent as other factors or philosophical considerations.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I suppose I should just make the question more specific. My buddy carries a 10mm if he ever hikes because of wild animals.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 PM

I covered the hunting discipline already. Of course, your specification raises another question. What kind of animals is does he think he's going to encounter, and how many? If it's a pack of coyotes, yeah, a Glock 20 with 16 rounds of 10mm is probably nice if he needs to handle all of them. If it's one bear, he ought to bring something with more power, as 10mm may be on the high spectrum of service calibers, but pales in comparison to a lot of standard factory .44 Magnum loads, aka a revolver round. And the ability to stop something like a bear is not something to be piece mealed either. 6 rounds of .44 Mag are better than 16 rounds of 10mm, as the .44 Mag has more energy and higher penetration threshold per bullet.

Of course, what you should have asked in the first place is whether or not 10mm is as serviceable in this particular niche than higher calibers, not whether or not revolvers are better than semi-autos in any given application.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Semi, just because I am more confident in my skill with one than I am with a revolver, partly because I am left-handed and take waaaay longer to reload a revolver than a right-handed person of equal skill probably could

I still like revolvers, though, I just wouldn't use them in a life-or-death situation if given a choice
This being said, I am very tempted to get a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 to carry (it won't be my main carrypiece, though) when I get my license, just because

Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I always thought if you're going someplace where five or six rounds aren't enough, then maybe you should reconsider going there.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I always thought if you're going someplace where five or six rounds aren't enough, then maybe you should reconsider going there.
Well, you might as well have more. In case of zombified velociraptors or some other supernatural terror decides that today is the day that it wants to mess with you, you know

Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

I've read stories of home invasions and encounters on the street where there are more than one attacker, sometimes up to 4. A revolver can only do so much in those situation and just because you shoot one guy down doesn't always make the others run away scared.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:22 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Home invasions are another thing altogether. Anything goes then. I have a Remington 870 and a fire axe ready for that. But I can't really hide either down my pants for carry.