imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun View Post
Do not argue with me on the mechanical actions of rifles. You will lose because you never took the time to understand how rifles and pistols work.

AR15 DI are mechanically simpler then AK and any overhang piston type rifle. It isn't my opinion it is a fact.
You my friend are wrong on the AR DI being mechanically simpler. The AR has for that system a Gas Tube, Gas Key, two Gas Key Screws, Carrier, Bolt, three Gas Rings, Cam Pin, Firing Pin, Firing Pin Retainer Pin = 12 parts. The AK has a Gas Tube, Bolt Carrier, Piston, Bolt, Firing Pin = 4 parts. Less parts on the AK therefore it is mechanically simpler.

The intent of using a gas piston compared to the DI is to reduce fouling during combat. A gas piston AR is useless to law enforcement or civilians as they are not operating in the harsh environments that our troops operate in.

I have had the SCAR in my hand as we have demoed a couple of times there are still some things that are being changed on it on being the bolt handle. But overall the weapons operation is excellent. I am sure that if the SCAR had 50 years of development it too would changed in configuration. Think XM177E1 to M4A1 similar looks yet completely different systems each with there own problem.

I understand you stance as being pro AR system but the AR is not the only thing in the world and I have built over a Thousand AR's in my life so far.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Well jdun you mind me asking your experience with the ar-15 platform? Just curious.

And Id love to see LWRC uppers. Also, the dust test had multiple m4s, I knew youd try to discredit it, all the AR fans do. My friends dad has some manuals left over from his GM days, the m16a3 manual says that its important to learn SPORTS because you can expect at least one jam every 90 rounds.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:44 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I know people who stopped using mini14s or compact bolt guns for hunting yotes cause the 40 pound animal would suck up a round and run off. Now they use 22-250s or 12 ga.

The hell? I've killed coyotes with a .22 Magnum before, so maybe these guys just need to learn how to shoot. I've killed two coyotes with an Anshutz .22 Magnum bolt gun, both at the length of a 60yard field. The coyotes had mange and were wandering around at 4:00 in the afternoon, so it seemed humane to put them down. I went up to where they were and waited until they came out. I shot one in the heart. The other one I hit in the head when he poked his head out of the brush. It was a pretty lucky shot, I had about a two second window before he'd run back in the brush and the gun wasn't in my hands but I swung it up and hit him (I paced 55 yards from my shooting point). Not to brag though, I just wanted to clarify that if a .22 Magnum can kill a Coyote, a .223 Remington is damn sure capable of it. If you plan to kill and animal or a person, you should shoot for a vital area like the heart or the head. And any bullet will kill something if it hits the heart or the head with a 1 in a 100 chance of survival.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:52 PM

I saw some interesting suggestions on thr.us when i posted a poll on what next rifle should be:

SCARH, 260 remington
FN FAL, 7mm-08

Seems, well, wierd. A sig 550 in an improved 6.8 remington seems good to me. Then aain, I am a bit partial to SIG Sauer products.
And a 223 can kill yotes, but why not get a better tool for a job. A 22250 has less failures to stop, its the better tool. You want the best, not just whats serviceable. I was at the range today with my freinds m48, 8mm. Round comparable to a 308. We looked at the holes compared to a target a guy with his m4gery was shooting. Much bigger. Then you got the recoil shy people. I say get the best of both worlds with an intermediate cartridge and get a reliable piston system. Most systems these days are just a retrofit of a DI gun and mostly make it less reliable. Something like an LWRC is built from the ground up as a iston specific gun with good results.

Last edited by k9870; 06-01-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 PM
IMFDB Admin

I think the 550 series of rifles are SIG only, no Sauer.

I really don't favor those new and "exciting" rounds out today like the 6.8mm, I don't see what is so bad about what we have. We have the .50 BMG when we want to touch someone at a mile, we have a .300 Win Mag when we want to down someone at 1000 yards, we have a .308 Winchester for when we need to touch someone at 500-900 yards. We have a .223 Remington when we want to fight at up to 300 yards and at CQB. And we have multiple pistol caliber handguns and submachine guns at close range. I really think we have the basics covered.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:12 PM

I really think 556 is a poor manstopper. If we used JSP ammo the whole point would be moot though. We didnt even sighn friggin geneva, even if it was sighned it is only covering how to deal with soldiers, not terrorist scum. If i was restricted to FMJ id want some 308 power. I see the 6.8 in 120 grain being used to hunt deer effectively. The loadings sent to the military so far have not offered much. The cartridge has some real potential though when loaded right. On a good note, the 77 grain round is being more widely issued, I think 55gr will be dead fairly soom! Yes!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

I'm so glad I live in this fucking communist state where I can only hunt deer with a shotgun. Even though I own a Deerstalker .44 Magnum rifle, which has velocity almost exactly like a shotgun slug, it isn't allowed to hunt with because it is a rifle. BS. I want a shirt that says "I FUCKING HATE NY". It can replace the big Heart symbol.

And dude, you've got to take more time when you write your posts, I feel like I'm translating what word you MEANT to say.

"We didnt even sighn..." I assume you mean "signed"? Not to cut you down, I just can't read your writing easily man.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:26 PM

Sorry, also if "U" "0" "E" "D" "H" "W" or "G" and "P" are missing from anything, its this sticky keyboard.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
IMFDB Admin

Okay, I understand. My right mouse key sticks because all of my damn kittens keep pulling it off the counter and slamming it on the floor. I suggest buying a new keyboard if you ever get a chance.

BTW, just a briefing, you may have remembered in April I was really sad my cat was put to sleep, but a month later two strays had moved into my home and both of them had a litter of kittens (the gray cat had seven, the black cat had 4). I can't call it coincidence because that's just too wierd. Anyway, 11 kittens are a pain in the ass, but I now have only have 7 left, and I think we are giving one more away.

But back on topic, I'd love to use a well made accurate bolt action rifle but NY believes I could harm others because I'm a dumb hunter, so I have to use a shotgun.

I prefer to use my dad's Browning A-Bolt 12 Gauge, which can touch out to 80 yards easily and accurately without drop. But so does my dad...

I was recently "handed down" (which means my dad gave me his older Sweet 16 Browning A5 smooth bore, made in 1955, which can't hit anything) this gun to hunt deer with. I aimed at a deer about 60 yards away, because my dad failed to mention this gun was a smooth bore, so I figured a slug could travel 60 yards easily. I aimed a little above the heart and fired and the damn thing ran away with a minor leg scratch (couldn't find him, and the blood trail stopped so this deer is fine). But since a herd of about 20 deer was at my disposal, I fired a total of seven shots (I even had time to reload!) but this thing was so inaccurate it couldn't touch them, even at 30 yards! I eventually hit a button buck in the shoulder at about 40 yards because the gun missed the heart a tad. Luckily it stopped blatting before I walked up to it. I really didn't want to have to finish it off.

Anyone else here ever deer hunt? It's the only hunting I do, because if I hunted anything else I'd be branded as a hick, and I don't wish to be put in that category.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 PM

Laptop, cant exactly buy a new keyboard.