imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2012, 07:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Eligibility of guns for their own pages

Note that the rules state:
Quote:
Though we do list a variety of weapons in the individual movie/TV/anime/Videogame pages, that's just for the sake of being 100% complete for that page. With the exception of grenades (which we do allow), the only weapons which merit an individual page in the GUNS Category are any individual or crew served weapon that fires in a DIRECT FIRE role. Thus an RPG-7 qualifies as does an M134 Minigun. A grenade launcher is also used in the direct fire role. Though a flamethrower is not a firearm, it fires it's payload in a direct fire role (i.e. aimed directly line of sight at the item/person to be destroyed). What we do not allow are weapons which are too large to be operated by either an individual or small crew or are used primarily as indirect fire delivery systems. This disqualifies fuel air bombs, all air dropped bombs, mortars, artillery, IEDs, most explosive ordnance (other than a commonly issued grenade), cruise missiles, or the guns on a Naval battleship. Even the M230 Chain Gun has been used by crews in direct fire roles (not mounted on a helicopter nose) (at least one AC-130 Spectre Gunship has fired an M230 from a side firing platform, manned by the aircraft's gunners). This rule applies to individual pages in the Guns Category. Feel free to identify ANY military weapons system that you can verify on the movie or television pages. The pages have "Gun Platform" sections just for that purpose, which allows us to denote tactical military vehicles, boats or aircraft which possess a primary (and sometimes secondary) offensive armament.
I've noticed that a Mod has (in CIA parlance) gone off the reservation. I just want some sort of agreement whether the nose cannons on fighter planes or the main big guns on tanks comply or not.

I believe they do not. In the case of aircraft mounted nose cannons, 99.99% of them belong to the aircraft, which is usually loaned or borrowed from the military. In the case of civilian ownership of military aircraft, (like MIG-15s, etc.) the cannons are removed. No Movie armory uses them or owns them. I believe they fall into the 'gun platform' category and thus only get listed on the individual VG or anime pages. We are not here to document what the military is already known to have mounted on their planes. Any edition of Jane's all the worlds aircraft will already have that info.

Secondary tank guns. I support pages for the Goryunov SG-43 Machine Gun http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Goryunov_SG-43_Machine_Gun or other large belt fed MGs because they can be removed from the tank or at least be used while NOT being enclosed in a tank. If the gun only appears as an integral part of the tank, then it does not qualify, it becomes a 'gun platform' addition again. If a small crew of SOLDIERS cannot use it as a crew served weapon, independent of the vehicle, it does not qualify.

Thoughts?