imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-17-2010, 04:08 PM

Thanks Checkman - I knew you if anyone would appreciate it. I've always been first and foremost a British military collector (which is what made the British proofs on this so exciting...) but ever since I got my 1903 Pocket Hammer I've found myself more and more drawn to the parallel-ruler Colts. They're not actually really great guns, but they're really neat and I also find them oddly attractive - and I really like the .38 ACP. Definately looking for a 1902 Military now.

Incidentally, I took the 1903 to the range for the first time earlier this week. Had a few failures to eject (one bad one where I had to tap the case out of the chamber with a piece of dowling), but I can't say I'm shocked, since I was using PCI ammo and it's not great. Shot quite high as well, but it was still a very fun shooter.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I've shot all of my old timers at least once. It's a connection to history. I can't help but put a few rounds through them. But like you I don't get them for recreational shooting. I've got guns for that. The old timers are just neat to own.

Once again congratulations.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:56 PM

Actually, in response to the poorly-drawn 1911 comment (which I can actually kind see), here's a breakdown of the evolution of the "fighting" Colt auto - this doesn't include the more commercial versions of the parallel-ruler Colt, namely the 1902 Sporting and 1903 Pocket Hammer. Photos courtesy of coltautos.com, the Unblinking Eye Gun Pages (highly recommended for lovers of obscure old pistols) and Rock Island Auction.

Colt 1900 Navy - The original model, in .38 ACP with a 6" barrel, high-spur hammer and with the "sight safety", in which the rear sight was also the safety - you press it down out of sight, which locks the firing pin and puts the gun on safe. It was not popular. Tested by the US Navy and US Army, sold commercially in very small numbers.

Colt 1900 Second Army Contract - Deleted the sight safety and added checkering to the grips, changed the front slide checkering to rear serrations, used in field trials in the Phillipines. 4274 1900s of both models were made.

Colt 1902 Military - Extended the grip frame, added a lanyard ring and slide hold-open. Early models had front slide checkering and a round hammer, later ones had rear serrations and a low spur hammer. Almost all had hard rubber grips like all commercial Colts of the era, the wood grips on the one pictured were special ordered. Field tested by the army and sold in fairly large numbers commercially. 18,068 made between 1902 and 1929 (estimated).

Old 07-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Colt 1905 Military - The first .45 ACP, detailed above. Also the first with a 5" instead of 6" barrel. Early ones had the round hammer, later ones like mine had the low spur. Tested in small numbers by the US Army and selected for further development.

Colt 1907 Army - Added the grip safety and a loaded chamber indicator. 207 made.

Colt 1909 Army - Changed to the swinging-link barrel with slide bushing, added a manual safety on the left side, got rid of the loaded chamber indicator. 42 made.

Colt 1910 Army - Changed the angle of the grip to the 74 degrees we all know and love. Still has the safety on the right and a different shape to the slide cut-out. 12 made.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
I've shot all of my old timers at least once. It's a connection to history. I can't help but put a few rounds through them. But like you I don't get them for recreational shooting. I've got guns for that. The old timers are just neat to own.

Once again congratulations.
Thanks again - I try to shoot all of my guns at least once as well - I just need to work up the courage to shoot my Webely 1910 now. I just REALLY don't want to fuck up a gun they made under 1000 of....

Although, on that note, I find it amusing that, particularly in the US, both the Colt 1905 (6100 made) and my .455 1911 (at least 11,000 made) go for more than a Webley 1910 (about 700 made). Rarity and desirability don't always exactly equal.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Very true. And I do agree that in terms of ergonomics and esthetics the parallel ruler Colts left something to be desired.But it's more about the importance and significance of the model that is important. Guess POI's posting just caught me at a bad moment.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 PM

It arrived today - very definately refinished, but that's not uncommon with these, as the original oil-quenched blue was somewhat delicate. And for a rare gun like this I'm willing to live with it!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:10 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Very nice.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
It arrived today - very definately refinished, but that's not uncommon with these, as the original oil-quenched blue was somewhat delicate. And for a rare gun like this I'm willing to live with it!

It looks like the .45's ugly stepsister.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:22 PM

Older sister or even mother would probably be a closer metaphor.