imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 07-12-2009, 07:19 PM

interesting read, thanks.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 PM

Cool story bro
Old 07-13-2009, 06:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

If I was myself 3 years ago, I wouldnt give a damn about breaks in continuity and what makes sense in real life as long as it's cool, I'd be set. But in the recent year I've learned a great deal about firearms, terms and the technology of it and really appreciate it and everytime I watch a movie and see a gun, I really notice the bad continuities and gun myths, like recently I just saw the movie Push and they did the classic "click" sound to tell us the gun is empty instead of a slide lock

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

Was that movie anything special or can I just skip over it? It seemed somewhat unoriginal and unoriginal isn't worth $20.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

worth a rent to take a look at the guns. The IDEA in the movie is good, but the movie was not exciting at all. It had some interesting thoughts and concept but poorly executed. The effects were ok, though. I'd just rent it, cap it and post the guns

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

If you do, I beg of you, use the 100% proper method. And if you could caption the images it would be appreciated, people who look at the page and have never seen the film are left clueless by captionless caps.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

what's the 100% proper method?

Old 07-14-2009, 04:30 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I've been meaning to do "Push" for a while, just haven't gotten around to it (like a lot of other things...) Most of the screencaps are on my HD, just need to get maybe a few more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
worth a rent to take a look at the guns. The IDEA in the movie is good, but the movie was not exciting at all. It had some interesting thoughts and concept but poorly executed. The effects were ok, though. I'd just rent it, cap it and post the guns
Hmmm, I didn't think the guns were all that special. Lots of Glocks, the SIG P228, some Berettas, Uzis, MP5s, etc. The two-tone Browning HP Practical was the only gun I saw in that movie that I haven't seen anywhere else.

It was definitely a pretty cool and interesting take on the whole superhero/superpowers concept. Plus, it was set in Hong Kong which was kinda cool. The main problem was that the director simply didn't know how to convey action, or how to get good performances out of his actors. Which is the kind of thing that sinks movies like "Push", unfortunately.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
what's the 100% proper method?
You keep the links out of the titles (you've gotten good on that now), fill out a full description of the gun used. This means instead of writing:

==Beretta 92FS==
Used by Insp. Tequila.

You write:

==Beretta 92FS==
A [[Beretta 92FS]] is used by Insp. Tequila ([[Chow Yun-Fat]]) during the shootout in the hospital.

And I know you don't like doing it, but putting captions in the screencap thumb tabs helps explain the situation to people who haven't seen the movie yet. For isntance, you can have a description that says:

==IMI Desert Eagle Mark VII==
Jack Slater ([[Arnold Schwarzenegger]]) uses an [[Desert Eagle|IMI Desert Eagle Mark VII]] as his sidearm in the film.

While this description is vague to the story line, by describing the scene seen in the screencap, the reader can know where they are when they use this gun. You can see on my pages that I use this type of description quite often.

And of course, add a stock gun image for visual reference.

Does this help any? I don't mean to pick on you about this, it's just the pages look much more professional and aesthetically pleasing when done to 100% format.